Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The "We'll Honeymoon in Canada" joke.

Offline 3Stooges

I don’t get this joke at the end of "Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise" where Moe says... “Now, all you have to do is wish for quintuplets and we’re all set”... And Curly replies something like.... “That's a synch, we’ll honeymoon in Canada”.

As if Canada is an especially a fertile place to make babies?

I don't get it. Does someone on the board know what Curly's referring to?

Pilsner Panther

The reference is to the Dionne quintuplets, who were born in Canada in 1934, and were very famous at the time:

http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~terning/bios/Dionne.html

Maybe there is something about Canada and fertility, but I wouldn't know. I'm just going to drink Canada Dry—

One bar at a time.

;)

Offline kinderscenen

Your "Canada Dry" reference reminds me of that joke Moe was attempting to tell on that show (the name escapes me) before the host (?!) stepped all over the punch line.

There was a more noticeable reference in "False Alarms", in which Curly 'names' each piece of hose that he picks up. It's amazing how many gags/references they used without me even getting them until fairly recently. "The boy's from Syracuse" escaped me until 5 or so years ago--as a former music major, I'm ashamed to mention that. :-[

Sunday
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline napo396

hi in answer to your canada question at the time there were born in canada the famous dione quintuplets.  remeber that mulitiple bithr babies were rare however in canada these 5 survived adn were in the media for many years.
 Use capital letters when necessary. Refer to the Posting Guidelines thread in the General Discussion forum.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The question was already answered.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown