Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Happy 70th Mr. Lennon

Offline Curly4444

Its John Lennon's 70th birthday. Man he would have been old. Would have been weird to see a 70 year old John Lennon.

Offline metaldams

Man he would have been old. Would have been weird to see a 70 year old John Lennon.

Not really.  A lot of people live to be 70.  Ringo made it and Paul's almost there.  No big deal.

A shame John's not here, though.  I always wonder how the 80's, 90's, and 2000's would have effected his music and world view.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Not really.  A lot of people live to be 70.  Ringo made it and Paul's almost there.  No big deal.

A shame John's not here, though.  I always wonder how the 80's, 90's, and 2000's would have effected his music and world view.
I just meant we always remember him as being young, so to suddenly see him 70 would be weird. With Paul and Ringo we got to see them get old little by little.

True, the changing times would have definitely affected his music, but i still think his art style would still be in there. I bet he would have gotten even better?

Offline metaldams

True, the changing times would have definitely affected his music, but i still think his art style would still be in there. I bet he would have gotten even better?

Well, I just wonder if he'd have anything to do with Jeff Lynne?  I'm sure he'd be a Willbury and replace Orbison with Yoko. 

Then let's not forget about his #1 1988 smash duet with The Beach Boys, "Yokokomo."

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline OldFred

Just got back from the screening of the American Masters documentary 'LennoNYC' at the Paley Center in New York City tonight. In celebration of John Lennon's 70th birthday, the Paley Center has an exhibition entitled 'This Boy...John Lennon in Liverpool', with many great photos of the young John Lennon during his years in Liverpool. There's even a display of his Liverpool school tie which he wore during the 'Double Fantasy' sessions. The TV monitors in the exhibit show a short documentary of John's Liverpool years with archival Beatles interviews and new interviews with the Quarrymen along with scenes from the film 'Nowhere Boy'. Other Lennon documentaries are part of the celebrations.

'LennoNYC' is a must-see documentary that covers John Lennon's New York City/Lost Weekend/House Husband years. Lots of great footage and photos with John's music as it's soundtrack. The sound system in the Paley Center auditorium was excellent and in the moments when they played segments of John in the studio, you feel like you're in the studio with John. In dealing with John's tragic death, the screen goes dark and you hear the wailing of a police siren which drives home the impact of the sadness of that night. 

After the film there was a Q&A moderated by Mitch Axelrod of the Fab Fourum and all of the Fab's were there. Mitch's panel consisted of Michael Epstein who directed the film, American Masters producer Susan Lacy, former WNEW-FM DJ Denis Elsas who conducted the classic 1974 'Walls and Bridges' interview with John, and talk show legend Dick Cavett who conducted John & Yoko's first American TV interview after the Beatles split. The panel answered questions about the making of the documentary and Denis and Dick gave their personal recollections of John. After the screening was done I got together with my friends in the Fab Fourum and Beatlefan writer Al Sussman who also attended. Also in the audience was Beatlefest producer Mark Lapidos whom Mitch acknowledged.

It was a great evening and the film is a moving tribute to John. The film will also be shown in Central Park on October 9th, John's birthday. For those in the NYC area try and attend and don't forget to catch 'LennoNYC' when it airs on PBS stations in November.

Denis Elsas, Dick Cavett, Susan Lacy (Producer), Michael Epstein (Director), Mitch Axelrod

The Fab Fourum: Rob Leonard, Tony Traguardo, Mitch Axelrod, Ken Michaels

The Fab Fourum with Dick Cavett

The Fab Fourum with Old Fred

Old Fred with Al Sussman and Ken Michaels

Old Fred at 'LennoNYC' screening.

Offline Curly4444

Wow, sounds like you had fun. Looks like a neat event, wish i lived closer.

[youtube=425,350]TYHCeUfoAnw[/youtube]

Offline archiezappa

I would have loved that.  Why don't they have festivals like that near Athens, Alabama?  Hmm.  I think I know the answer to that one. 

Curly:  Seein' as how there ain't no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline archiezappa

As for John's hits from the 80's, 90's and 2000's:

"Girls Of The World (except for Yoko) Ain't Nothing But Trouble" by D.J. Jazzy Jeff And The Former Beatle

"Smells Like Cold Turkey" by Kurt Cobain & Nirvana, featuring John Lennon

And don't forget his duet with Bruce Springsteen:  "Born In The U.K."

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I agree with Quad 4's: it is strange to think of a 70 year old John Lennon.

I've often contemplated if John would be as revered as he is today or is he would be more along the lines of Paul in that department (who is plenty revered, but not in the way John is). I think that he would be because of the power of his work.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I agree with Quad 4's: it is strange to think of a 70 year old John Lennon.

I've often contemplated if John would be as revered as he is today or is he would be more along the lines of Paul in that department (who is plenty revered, but not in the way John is). I think that he would be because of the power of his work.

Yeah, but you gotta wonder how the mid-80's would've effected John, as well as the Yoko collaboration factor.  He may have been great, and I like his DOUBLE FANTASY songs, but the mid-80's were tough for 60's artists. 

We'll also never know if John would've been prolific or been content watching the wheels go round and round.  It sucks we'll never find out.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
It would've been wicked to see him around today.  Happy Birthday John, and rest in peace.  You deserve it.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!