Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

USA Cartoon Express

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's something for us 30-Somethings: bumpers and commercial breaks from Cartoon Express taking place somewhere in the late 80's. For you whipper-snappers Cartoon Express was the name for a block of cartoons that aired on the USA Network from 1980-1996. Check out all of the cool 900 numbers you can call to run up your parent's phone bill and the commercial for an album of children's songs which I remember as if it were yesterday. If you're too young to know what records and cassettes are go fuck yourself.

[youtube=425,350]4wssBhUkhyc[/youtube]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I considered it a victory in the 80's if my Mom let me stay up late enough to see Prime Time Wrestling.  That's my main USA 80's memory, but yeah, I'll definitely check this out this weekend when I get a chance, I'm sure it will bring back memories. 

I doubt it's on here, and it's more early 90's, but my favorite 900 number memory is the Vailla Ice hotline and the term, "Chillin' like Bob Dylan."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Wow, i cant believe I didnt watch these block of cartoons. Or maybe i forgot. Anyhow i was in my teens when this first aired so i was a little smart to not fall for that 900 number scam. Our mother would have castrated us. I knew better. Man it was so wrong to trick those kid. I hope they got sued.  >:(

Now this was something to sue over, not like those moms suing Mc. Donald's. Saying happy meals got there kids hooked on the food, and made them fat. I guess those moms never heard of Nancy Regan's slogan, "just say no." MC. Donald's didn't make your kids fat, you did.

Offline metaldams

Wow, i cant believe I didnt watch these block of cartoons. Or maybe i forgot. Anyhow i was in my teens when this first aired so i was a little smart to not fall for that 900 number scam. Our mother would have castrated us. I knew better. Man it was so wrong to trick those kid. I hope they got sued.  >:(

Now this was something to sue over, not like those moms suing Mc. Donald's. Saying happy meals got there kids hooked on the food, and made them fat. I guess those moms never hear Nancy Regan's slogan, "just say no." MC. Donald's didn't make your kids fat, you did.

I'll have to watch the commercial to see for sure, I'm still at "work" (slow day) and can't now.  That said, I remember those commercials all having a disclaimer, "If you're under 18, make sure to get your parent's permission before calling."  That prevents any lawsuit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

True, but they could have got them to pull that pan-handling off the air if they protested enough. That stuff would never fly today.

Offline ProfessorStooge

I remember the Cartoon Express. Man, I miss those days. Shows I recall seeing included Pac-Man, Hong Kong Phooey, The Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Show, Smurfs, Snorks, Paw-Paws, and Shirt Tales.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Let's not forget Inch High Private Eye, Hulk Hogan's Rock & Wrestling, Hair Bear Bunch, Laff-A-Lympics, and those little segments In A Minute.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline archiezappa

Basically, reruns from Saturday morning cartoons from the big 3, plus a few new cartoons.  My favorites on Cartoon Express were "Heckle & Jeckle" and "Mighty Mouse."

Offline Rhinosaurus

Wow, I think I just OD'd on nostalgia.

I'm only 24, but I vividly remember seeing this, my mom used to tape the shows for me.  

LOL, they must have played that children's songs ad hundreds of times a day, it is permanently engraved in my memory.

Offline archiezappa

Wow, I think I just OD'd on nostalgia.

Can you actually do that?  Aw man!  That's what's been happening to me all these years!

Offline metaldams

Wow, that was awesome!  He-Man, Nintendo (along with the NES Advantage joystick), and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!  I totally forgot about those three chef guys.  900 numbers galore.  I even remember the Cartoon Express wraparound stuff, but forgot about it completely until now.  I wonder how deep in my brain that was buried?

To this very day, I'm still the best at Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Wow, that was awesome!  He-Man, Nintendo (along with the NES Advantage joystick), and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!  I totally forgot about those three chef guys.  900 numbers galore.  I even remember the Cartoon Express wraparound stuff, but forgot about it completely until now.  I wonder how deep in my brain that was buried?

To this very day, I'm still the best at Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. 

I never could beat that last guy in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I beat Mike once, by decision.

Offline afcomser

You guys are youngens, While I'm not that much older, I grew up playing the Coleco Vision & Atari 2600, Pac-Man, Moon Patrol, Combat, Missle Command, Q-bert. I remember all the Hanna-Barara cartoons on the new UHF stations, we didn't get cable until I think I was 12 and that was a little black box that sat on your television, that had a knob that I think went up to 68. I remember being so excited that we could go to the video store and rent a betamax tape of cartoons. I remember more the nicolodean shows, like You can't do that on television, or Danger Mouse, or Double Dare with Mark Summers. One of my favorite cartoons was a hanna-barbarra one that had all the charachters that did these comical cross country races. Oh of coarse Scooby Doo. I remember some of the 900 numbers, most were like psychic friends network. Did anybody collect Garbage Pail Kids collector cards?
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline afcomser

Oh yes I do cartoon express, that had the white train as the opening and wrap around. Oh yeah!!
Yes I remember records and tapes very well, along with 8-tracks. Acutually our first tape player was an adapter for the 8-track player made by radio shack/realistic. and we had a record player from Montgomery Ward. I remember listening with my little sister, record books if any of you are that old.

Offline metaldams

Did anybody collect Garbage Pail Kids collector cards?

I wasn't allowed to.  My Mom thought that taught kids how to make fun of other kids,  ::) but uh, yeah, I certainly remember them and looking at cards from other kids.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
One of my favorite cartoons was a hanna-barbarra one that had all the charachters that did these comical cross country races. Oh of coarse Scooby Doo.

LAFF-A-LYMPICS, with Joe Besser.

Offline afcomser

I remember those but these were earlier, I think they were called Whacky Races!!???, but that doesn't seem right either. I don't know. Wow I didn't see the YouTube Video earlier, at work the puters don't allow embedding. I was working on my own memory. I forgot all those 900 numbers, but WOW. Well the Eighties and early 90's did alot of that stuff. I Just ordered all the original Transformers cartoons, did any of you play with those, I mean the originals. Does anybody remember the original Transformer Movie that was between Season 2 and Season 3 during the summer, the one where Optimus Prime Died, they had this planet that could transform into a robot. I remember He-Man very well. I just saw Mr-T and His All Stars, I forgot about that one. What was some of the other ones???? Oh She RA!!!! Thunder Cats!!! MasK(I remember those vehicles could turn into something else, one of my kids found one of my toys, it was a motorcycle that could turn into a helicopter), Go-BOts, Smurfs, Snorks. Fraggle Rock, GI-Joe, Inspector Gadget, Alvin & the CHipmunks. Galaxy Rangers, Woody Woodpecker, Rocky & Bullwinkle. I remember a Japanese-anime Cartoon that was very big in the early eighties, I loved to watch but I forgot its name. It had this Ocean Ship that was turned into a Space ship, I had this big-ol-gun right in front, I remember once they fired that thing, that meant the bad guys were destroyed, thus ending the episode. They usually got pounded until they got around to using that. I remember also having alot of the Kenner Starwars Action Figures, the Milennium Falcon, one of those AT-At walkers, all kinds of stuff. AH to be a Kid again ;D

Offline Curly4444

I think they were called Whacky Races!!???

They might have been two different things? I know there is a  Whacky Races, cause i been watching them on boomerang.

Offline afcomser

Maybe it is called that, I miss Boomarang, that was a cool Network. I wish I still had Cable.