Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

TWENTIETH CENTURY (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Another 1934 classic:

Twentieth Century

<a href="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=43330203,t=1,mt=video" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=43330203,t=1,mt=video</a>

John Barrymore | MySpace Video
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:27:43 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline falsealarms

Great review. I don't know why I haven't stumbled on this film before, but I'm intrigued by it as well as IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. Both have upcoming airings on TCM but I'll probably just the DVDs as Deep Discount has both under 10.00 each.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=27561

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=12648

Offline Rich Finegan

Both IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and TWENTIETH CENTURY have the same opening titles music, "Charming" composed by Louis Silvers.

Both movies also were re-released by Columbia in May 1938. Those are actually the reissue titles & credits on TWENTIETH CENTURY. That's kind of unusual that for a reissue they went to the effort to design such nice looking new artwork for the credits.

stooged and confused

I noticed that both films used the same opening music, and it bears a strong resemblance to the music used during the party scene in "Hoi Polloi".

Offline Rich Finegan

I noticed that both films used the same opening music, and it bears a strong resemblance to the music used during the party scene in "Hoi Polloi".

That Columbia orchestra did have a distinctive sound.
The party music you refer to is entitled "Jealousy" (also sometimes given as "Jalousy") composed by Louis Silvers and Howard Jackson. As I'm sure all Stooges fans know, the tune was also used in the 1936 Stooges short SLIPPERY SILKS during the fashion show.
In researching Stooges film music over the years I've logged a total of nine Columbia films in which "Jealousy" is used.

Offline Rich Finegan

There are several interesting Three Stooges connections to the movie TWENTIETH CENTURY.
The movie was filmed between February 22 and March 24, 1934, then after a weekend off, The Three Stooges were working on some of the same sets filming their first Columbia short WOMAN HATERS. That short was filmed from March 27 to March 30, 1934. Larry and Marjorie White's train compartment set was used from the just-completed feature, as was an establishing shot at the train station.

The same photographer, Joseph August was kept to shoot the short.
Actor Fred Toones played the train porter in the feature and probably kept his uniform over the week-end, as he was back to play the same role in the short. Actor A.R. Haysel also had roles in both the feature and the short.
Also appearing in TWENTIETH CENTURY were familiar Stooges supporting actors Fred Kelsey, Lynton Brent, and Harry Semels.
The short and feature were released just six days apart, May 5 and 11, so it is quite possible that many theater-goers at that time would have seen both on the same bill.

Offline falsealarms

Finally watched this today and it lived up to it's reputation. I couldn't find much to criticize. It was just a fun film to watch and one that really picked up once they got on the train. The crazy old man on the train was an interesting character with his sticker obsession. The various Stooge connections add another level of intrigue.

Offline metaldams

Finally watched this today and it lived up to it's reputation. I couldn't find much to criticize. It was just a fun film to watch and one that really picked up once they got on the train. The crazy old man on the train was an interesting character with his sticker obsession. The various Stooge connections add another level of intrigue.

Glad you like it, bro.  Just about every character in that movie is great, and it holds up well on repeat viewings too.
- Doug Sarnecky