The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Internet Explorer 9 Beta released to the public

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
If you happen to be a computer nerd like me and like to try the latest software, Microsoft just released the Beta of their next version of Internet Explorer today.  I have been trying out the Internet Explorer Preview Platform releases as they came out and liked what I saw.  IE9 seems much faster at rendering pages, and they have pulled ahead of Firefox in CSS implementation.

The new user interface is much better and very minimalistic.  The menu bar is completely gone, and the Favorites bar, Command bar and status bar are all hidden initially.  Only the main bar is displayed, with the back and forward buttons, combined address bar and search box, the tabs bar and three small icons (Home, Favorites and Tools.)  It actually takes up slightly less space than Google Chrome.

I've been using it now for a few hours and so far I like it.  Google Chrome has been my favorite browser for quite a few months, but I'm going to give IE9 Beta a fair trial.  If you are interesting in this sort of thing, here are links to the IE9 Beta download page and a couple of reviews:

Offline Curly4444

I think ill stick with firefox. IE still doesn't have any add-ons or themes. I cant live without adblocker, noscript, cookiesafe, etc...

The menu bar is completely gone, and the Favorites bar, Command bar and status bar are all hidden initially.

Thats stupid, then how do you edit your setting, bookmarks, etc..?

I have ver. 8 on my machine, but barley use it.

Offline falsealarms

I go back and forth with browsers, but usually use Chrome or a Firefox variant. I'm still on XP so no IE9 for me yet but should be making the jump to Windows 7 by the end of the year. IE 7 and 8 have failed to impress with their speed and lag behind others in standards compliance.

Pale Moon: http://www.palemoon.org/ (FF optimized for Windows).