Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Tight A$: The New John Lennon Reissue Campaign

Offline metaldams

I know we got a few Lennon fans here, so I want to know what everybody thinks of the way his 70th birthday is being celebrated.

http://www.johnlennon.com/html/news.aspx

Necessary?  What do you think?

The greatest hits album?  Completely unnecessary, there's a few of those on the market already.

The 4 CD "themed" set?  Sounds like it would make a cool listen once, but ultimately a novelty, and hey, that's what playlists are for.

The box set?  Kind of cool to have everything in one place.

I think it's good the original mixes are back in circulation, but they should've never left in the first place.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'll need to monitor Black Fridays on that box set, which I didn't hear about until this post.

I just wanted to say that I find it very hard to picture a 70-year-old John Lennon.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Curly4444

I never liked all his solo stuff, so i think ill just be buying that new greatest hits CD.

ThumpTheShoes

I just wanted to say that I find it very hard to picture a 70-year-old John Lennon.

I know what you mean! It's hard to look at Paul McCartney-- he's near 70 now:

Offline Curly4444

Hey there guys, all guys are hard to look at. Now a 70 year old Kirsten dunst or Jessica alba might make me puke.  :o :P

ThumpTheShoes

Hey there guys, all guys are hard to look at. Now a 70 year old Kirsten dunst or Jessica alba might make me puke.  :o :P

Oh, I don't know.. Kirsten's held up pretty well since she appeared with the Stooges all those years ago:

3 Dumb Clucks, 1937
Recent Photo, Circa 2009:

:o

Offline Hammond Eggar

I own SO MUCH from John Lennon already.  I have the '90s CD reissues of all his studio albums, including the avant garde releases with Yoko Ono from the late-60s.  I also own the soundtracks to Imagine: John Lennon and The U.S. vs. John Lennon, as well as the albums Menlove Avenue, Live in New York City, Acoustic, The John Lennon Collection and the Anthology box set.  With all of that, it's hard for me to justify spending money on these reissues and repackages of material I already own.  That said, the stripped version of Double Fantasy sounds interesting.  I'll have to look into it upon its release. ;D
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

I own SO MUCH from John Lennon already.  I have the '90s CD reissues of all his studio albums, including the avant garde releases with Yoko Ono from the late-60s.  I also own the soundtracks to Imagine: John Lennon and The U.S. vs. John Lennon, as well as the albums Menlove Avenue, Live in New York City, Acoustic, The John Lennon Collection and the Anthology box set.  With all of that, it's hard for me to justify spending money on these reissues and repackages of material I already own.  That said, the stripped version of Double Fantasy sounds interesting.  I'll have to look into it upon its release. ;D

In the mid-90's, around the time the LOAD albums came out, I had a friend tell me I'd buy a Metallica album of James Hetfield farting.  While that's not literally true, and I have become much less obsessive about live b-sides and stuff in my old age, the John and Yoko avant garde albums are the closest thing to an artist farting actually being released to the public.

I'm probably not going to buy this release.  I already have most of this stuff.  I kind of wish I just bought the now out of print 4 CD Lennon box set that came out in 1990, though that ANTHLOGY box set of outtakes also rocks the casbah.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'll go a step further.  I own a CD reissue of Harry Nilsson's '70s LP Pussy Cats just because John produced it and wrote the song "Mucho Mungo."  I'm pretty much that way about all the Beatles, including Pete Best, although my finances has slowed down my CD/vinyl shopping, and forced me to be more selective.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

I'll go a step further.  I own a CD reissue of Harry Nilsson's '70s LP Pussy Cats just because John produced it and wrote the song "Mucho Mungo."  I'm pretty much that way about all the Beatles, including Pete Best, although my finances has slowed down my CD/vinyl shopping, and forced me to be more selective.

So I could ask you a question like "BAD BOY Vs. OLD WAVE," and you'd have an opinion?  ;D  That's dedication, my friend.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

So I could ask you a question like "BAD BOY Vs. OLD WAVE," and you'd have an opinion?  ;D  That's dedication, my friend.

I got 'em both (on vinyl) when they came out, and I like both...but maybe BAD BOY a little more.

Yeah, I have way more Beatles on vinyl than anyone needs.
As for the original question on the John Lennon CD sets, I also already have all the original LP's and 45's of everything there except whatever's newly "stripped" down or not previously out on bootlegs. So unless I decide I need new CD's of everything, or find it on a great sale deal, I don't expect to get it any time soon.

Offline metaldams

I got 'em both (on vinyl) when they came out, and I like both...but maybe BAD BOY a little more.

Yeah, I have way more Beatles on vinyl than anyone needs.

I also have more Beatles related stuff than anybody needs, and there's still plenty of solo stuff I don't have (but also plenty I do).  Sounds like you and Hammond have me beat.

Speaking of Ringo solo, I joke about BAD BOY and OLD WAVE (who knows, maybe I'll hear them someday and be pleasantly surprised), but I genuinely want to hear TIME TAKES TIME.  I've heard good things about that one and liked the one song I've heard off of it a lot ("Weight of the World").
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

So I could ask you a question like "BAD BOY Vs. OLD WAVE," and you'd have an opinion?  ;D  That's dedication, my friend.

Yes, it is dedication.  As for the two Ringo releases mentioned, I own and enjoy both.  That said, my preference is towards Old Wave.  Joe Walsh worked with Ring on that one, and his input and influence are greatly felt.  It's certainly a more electric affair than Ringo's previous efforts, especially those on which he collaborated with Vinnie Poncia.  BTW, the album Stop and Smell the Roses which Ringo issued between these two, is a personal favorite of mine.  It includes my favorite Ringo solo song, "Attention."  As of right now, here my Ringo top 3.

1) Time Takes Time
2) Ringo
3) Stop and Smell the Roses

Speaking of dedication, I'm one of those Beatles fans who buys albums and singles from artists who have a connection to the Fabs.  For example, I collect the Apple artists (Badfinger, Mary Hopkin, the Elastic Oz Band, Chris Hodge, Billy Preston etc.).  I also own albums (CDs) by acts such as Pete Best, George Martin, Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Linda McCartney, Heather Mills (CD single), the Rutles and Ravi Shankar (Chants, produced by George Harrison).  I also own the Backbeat score, as well as a Christmas album by the Fab Four, a great Beatles tribute band.  The music is much like that of the Rutles, in that they are spot on recreations of the Beatles sound and catalogue.  I also own a few interview discs, such as The David Wigg Tapes, as well as The Last Word, John Lennon's final interview given the day he died.

BTW if you LOVE the Beatles, here's a related release I highly recommend.  It's titled Beatlemaniacs!!! The World of Beatles Novelty Records, and features numerous 1960s Beatles tribute and novelty records.  Its a fun document of the band's impact and influence at the time.  And yes, I do own it, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatlemaniacs-World-Beatles-Novelty-Records/dp/B000EJ9KGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284490256&sr=8-2

Offline metaldams

It's certainly a more electric affair than Ringo's previous efforts, especially those on which he collaborated with Vinnie Poncia.

As a KISS fan, Vini Ponicia is the guy who put sappy productions on DYNASTY and UNMASKED (not to mention Peter Criss's solo album), so he is one of the reasons I have been weary of a lot of Ringo's solo stuff.  He actually got his KISS connection from Peter Criss's solo album, who I imagined chose Poncia because of the Ringo connection.  Hey, if he can produce the least talented Beatle and make hits, I imagine Peter thought Poncia could do the same for him, the Ringo of KISS. 

That said, you saying TIME TAKES TIME is Ringo's best solo effort makes me want to check it out even more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I also own albums (CDs) by acts such as Pete Best, George Martin, Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Linda McCartney, Heather Mills (CD single), the Rutles and Ravi Shankar (Chants, produced by George Harrison).

I forgot to add, looking at that last, you just insulted Yoko by not mentioning her.   ;D  Heather Mills made music?  I had no idea.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

That said, you saying TIME TAKES TIME is Ringo's best solo effort makes me want to check it out even more.

Thank you.  I take that as a real compliment.  As for Vinnie, he and Ringo had a descent partnership in the '70s.  However, by the 1980s, it was definitely time for Ringo to shake things up and Joe Walsh seemed to fit the bill.  The two made a perfect fit, even it it was only for one studio album.  That said, Joe did join Ringo for a couple of All-Starr Band tours.  As for 1992's Time Takes Time, I don't think I'm over-selling it by saying it's one of the best solo Beatles LPs.  Although it was produced by four different men (Jeff Lynne, Peter Asher, Phil Ramone and Don Was), all the songs fit nicely together.  There's a certain cohesiveness to this album, that is lacking from a few of his prior releases.  Plus, there's a certain sophistication that accompanies the album, as well.  Among the highlights are songs such as "Don't Go Where the Road Don't Go," "Golden Blunders," "In a Heartbeat" and "What Goes Around."  That said, all the songs are great, and the album is definitely worth a listen, especially if your a dedicated Beatles fan.

BTW, while I have every intention of adding Yoko's LPs (CDs) to my collection, at the present time, all I own is a vinyl copy of Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band.  That's why I didn't mention her.  It was not meant as a slight at all.

stooged and confused

As long as there are collectors, and there are many, Capitol/EMI will continue to re-issue Beatles and solo band member material for as long as they can.

The remastered CDs, while an improvement over the first 1988 issues, were not what I had hoped for. They sound too compressed, but I'm sure that's by design so they can sell them yet again! This October, the RED and BLUE hits compilations are coming out "remastered" by the same team who did the LP remasters.

Personally, I think they're over doing it. This October, in addition to all of Lennon's re-issues and the Beatles RED/BLUE hits, they are re-issuing all of the Apple artist catalog. That's a lot of material in a depressed economy to try and spend $$ on.

Offline Rich Finegan

Speaking of dedication, I'm one of those Beatles fans who buys albums and singles from artists who have a connection to the Fabs.  For example, I collect the Apple artists (Badfinger, Mary Hopkin, the Elastic Oz Band, Chris Hodge, Billy Preston etc.).  I also own albums (CDs) by acts such as Pete Best, George Martin, Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Linda McCartney, Heather Mills (CD single), the Rutles and Ravi Shankar (Chants, produced by George Harrison).  I also own the Backbeat score, as well as a Christmas album by the Fab Four, a great Beatles tribute band.  The music is much like that of the Rutles, in that they are spot on recreations of the Beatles sound and catalogue.  I also own a few interview discs, such as The David Wigg Tapes, as well as The Last Word, John Lennon's final interview given the day he died.

BTW if you LOVE the Beatles, here's a related release I highly recommend.  It's titled Beatlemaniacs!!! The World of Beatles Novelty Records, and features numerous 1960s Beatles tribute and novelty records.  Its a fun document of the band's impact and influence at the time.  And yes, I do own it, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatlemaniacs-World-Beatles-Novelty-Records/dp/B000EJ9KGC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284490256&sr=8-2

Hammond:
Have you been looking at my collection?
Sounds like we have almost all the same things. I too have collected everything Beatles-related, as well as variations on all records by The Beatles themselves. I've also got all the non-Beatle Apple records (including all Yoko's...yes I may be the only one to ever buy those!). And for artists I especially like (Badfinger, Mary Hopkin, etc.) I also have records by them from their post-Apple careers. I started collecting all Apple in the mid-1970's so many were still relatively available. I also decided I had to get all the records of the songs they wrote for friends (Peter & Gordon, Billy J. Kramer, ect.) on the original 45 releases, not just as conveniently compiled on LP's (which I also have).
Also, like you I have lots of stuff by folks like Pete Best, George Martin, Julian, Sean, Linda McCartney, Rutles, Shankar, The Scaffold, and numerous others...even the group Grapefruit. Also lots of Beatles tributes and parodies, interviews, etc.
And almost all of it is on vinyl...45's and LP's.
And that includes way more label & cover variations than anyone really needs!

So, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Offline metaldams

Hammond:
Have you been looking at my collection?
Sounds like we have almost all the same things. I too have collected everything Beatles-related, as well as variations on all records by The Beatles themselves. I've also got all the non-Beatle Apple records (including all Yoko's...yes I may be the only one to ever buy those!). And for artists I especially like (Badfinger, Mary Hopkin, etc.) I also have records by them from their post-Apple careers. I started collecting all Apple in the mid-1970's so many were still relatively available. I also decided I had to get all the records of the songs they wrote for friends (Peter & Gordon, Billy J. Kramer, ect.) on the original 45 releases, not just as conveniently compiled on LP's (which I also have).
Also, like you I have lots of stuff by folks like Pete Best, George Martin, Julian, Sean, Linda McCartney, Rutles, Shankar, The Scaffold, and numerous others...even the group Grapefruit. Also lots of Beatles tributes and parodies, interviews, etc.
And almost all of it is on vinyl...45's and LP's.
And that includes way more label & cover variations than anyone really needs!

So, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

When it comes to collecting, I've always been a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  I usually don't drift off into too many other side roads unless if it's a side road I genuinely like.  So for The Beatles, yeah, I have the entire main catalog, stereo and mono, the BBC album, the Anthologies, and even a few bootlegs of live stuff (Shea '65 and Candlestick '66).  But for those side roads, I don't enjoy Yoko Ono's music, so I don't need to go that far.  As for solo, I just try to find the stuff I like and stick with it.  (To put this on a Stooge level, I'm only interested in the main body of Stooge work and want to explore Shemp solo more where he's actually a star, that's it).

....will write more later, work's about to begin.   >:(
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....what I was going to add before was I'm not so much into collecting material things related to any of my interests either minus a t-shirt or what not.  This includes music groups, movies, or Boston Red Sox.  I think part of the reason is because I live in a town home where I don't excatly have the space for a memoribilia room, but even with music, I'm perfectly content with just having the song on itunes.  Now, if it's something real special, like a box set, I may make an exception, but overall, not much a collector.  But hey, we all have our own quirks.

Rich and Hammond, when you say George Martin, I'm assuming that means you'll pick up anything he's produced.  Would that extend as far as say...UFO's NO PLACE TO RUN?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

Rich and Hammond, when you say George Martin, I'm assuming that means you'll pick up anything he's produced.  Would that extend as far as say...UFO's NO PLACE TO RUN?

Actually Metaldams, George Martin has released his own albums.  Most of them are orchestral or pop arrangements of Beatles songs.  His last album, In My Life, included Beatles covers by a wide array of musicians and actors such as Phil Collins, Jeff Beck, Jim Carrey and Goldie Hawn.  Don't forget, George Martin was also responsible for the score to the 1973 Bond film Live and Let Die.  Below you'll find the Martin albums I own on CD.

Off the Beatle Track (1964)
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dvftxqq5ldde

George Martin Instrumentally Salutes The Beatle Girls (1966)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin_Instrumentally_Salutes_The_Beatle_Girls

In My Life (1998)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Life_%28George_Martin_album%29

Offline Rich Finegan

No, that would mean getting too much I know I'd not want (getting all the Yoko records just to have a complete collection of all the Apples was bad enough!)
For George Martin I mean just his albums (& 45's) of Beatle music.

Offline Hammond Eggar

No, that would mean getting too much I know I'd not want (getting all the Yoko records just to have a complete collection of all the Apples was bad enough!)
For George Martin I mean just his albums (& 45's) of Beatle music.

I totally agree with Rich.  In the case of the Apple artists, I'd be interested in some of them regardless of a Beatles connection or not.  Badfinger and James Taylor are two great examples.  I'm a fan of the Ronettes, so I'd probably be interested in Ronnie Spector's work, as well.  As for other Beatles-related artists.  While it's true that Sean Lennon being John's son makes his music more interesting to me, I was into Julian's work long before my love of the Beatles had fully blossomed.  Of course, I bought that Heather Mills CD single strictly because she was Paul's wife and he worked on it with her, and I made that purchase long before the divorce occurred.

Say Rich, as a serious Beatles fan, I'd love to read your top 5 lists on a variety of topics.  See my lists below for the categories.  I value your opinion and am curious to read your selectons.

TOP 5 FAVORITE BEATLES ALBUMS

1) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2) Abbey Road
3) Revolver
4) The Beatles ("The White Album")
5) Rubber Soul

TOP 5 FAVORITE BEATLES SONGS

1) The Long and Winding Road
2) Golden Slumbers (medley w/ Carry That Weight/The End)
3) She Loves You
4) Day Tripper
5) A Day in the Life

TOP 5 FAVORITE GEORGE HARRISON SOLO ALBUM

1) All Things Must Pass
2) Cloud 9
3) Somewhere in England
4) Brainwashed
5) Thirty-Three and a Third

TOP 5 FAVORITE JOHN LENNON SOLO ALBUMS (Really difficult for me)

1) Imagine
2) Double Fantasy
3) John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
4) Mind Games
5) Sometime in New York City

TOP 5 FAVORITE PAUL McCARTNEY SOLO ALBUMS

1) London Town
2) Band on the Run
3) Flaming Pie
4) Tug of War
5) Ram

TOP 5 FAVORITE RINGO STARR SOLO ALBUMS

1) Time Takes Time
2) Ringo
3) Stop and Smell the Roses
4) Old Wave
5) Goodnight Vienna

FAVORITE SOLO SONG BY EACH BEATLE

This is Love - George Harrison
Imagine - John Lennon
With a Little Luck - Wings (Paul McCartney)
Attention - Ringo Starr

Offline metaldams

FAVORITE SOLO SONG BY EACH BEATLE

With a Little Luck - Wings (Paul McCartney)

Good choice!  I thought i was the only one who liked that song.  That was Paul's latest hit when I was born. 

My favorite Paul solo song is a toss-up between "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" or "Jenny Wren." 

Maybe I'll come up with a list of stuff as well when I have the time.
- Doug Sarnecky