The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

METALDAMS SHORTS TOURNAMENT - THE FINALS

metaldams · 46 · 16167

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
  • Puddinhead
Hoi Polloi

Very hard to select just one!
But although it's a great one with many classic scenes, I always thought the end scene of "Three Little Beers" was a big let-down. Such a lame gag after such a great short.
"An Ache in Every Stake" - also lots of great classic scenes: the stairway, the bowling with the ice blocks, the kitchen scenes, especially Curly shaving the ice. But I had to go with:
"Hoi Polloi" -- The Winner! Again, lots of great stuff. Plus the bonus of a good incidental music score, and perhaps my favorite Stooges short of one of my favorite supporting players, Phyllis Crane.

Offline PSUStooge

• Porcupine
Hoi Polloi

I think "Ache" probably has this in the bag, but I admit to preferring the other two shorts in the finals myself.  "Three Little Beers" is a full fledged gem, but I think "Hoi Polloi" is just a quintessential stooge short.  Every gag in it works, and it represents the clash of the social classes at the time perfectly.  You could put this one in a time capsule, play it 100 years later, and it will still represent everything that the boys loved and stood for.

Of course, I could probably say that about at least thirty other shorts.  Either way..."Polloi" is the one I enjoy the most out of the three choices.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
It's Ache 9, Hoi 7, Beers 6 (somebody double check that for me)

It's still close, so let's get more votes coming in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yep that's right...controversy abound as the winner could very well not have the majority of votes.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Stanley Blystone

• Porcupine
An Ache in Every Stake

"I told you to be careful!" - Bud Jamison to Vernon Dent after Curly knocks over Vernon and he falls face first on his birthday cake.

Offline Bud_Jamison

• Applehead
OK,

Just watched all three again (with a nice single malt - breath of heather)  I can't argue against any of you who choose "Ache".  It is really a masterpiece on all counts.  So is Three Little Beers but as another poster mentioned, it does have a weak end after the barrel scenes & Bud really carries the open with a great performance.  But Hoi-Polloi gets my vote.

Hoi Polloi

Why has no one made mention of the great Del Lord and the fact that all of these are his shorts?

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Why has no one made mention of the great Del Lord and the fact that all of these are his shorts?

Priase Del Lord!  (I can't take credit for that one, there is a poster on here with that name I saw once, but I don't think he ever posted.  Still, best user name ever).

I would consider Del Lord the best Stooge director, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
ACHE 10, HOI 8, BEERS 6

Let's keep those votes coming!  I want at least 30, we only have 24. 

By the way, if AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE wins, it will be the first short be be a two-time champion.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Just to make it official, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE is the winner.  Thank you to everybody who voted, you guys rock.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I'm disappointed in the results. Yeah, "An Ache In Every Stake" is a great short, no doubt. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the #1 best stooge short.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I don't think most of the people who voted for Ache would call it their favorite short. Like me, their absolute favorites were probably gone. What I'm curious about is if you took Beers out the equation would the people who voted for Beers vote for Ache or Polloi? If Polloi was taken out would the people who voted for Polloi vote for Ache or Beers?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline pipboytaylor

• Beetlebrain
I was one of the 6 "Beer" voters. I would have voted for "Ache" over "Polloi". My favorite short is "Who Done It?."

Offline afcomser

• Applehead

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Would anyone be interested in doing something like this again?  It'd be fun and the first time in almost 7 years.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Beetlebrain
Would anyone be interested in doing something like this again?  It'd be fun and the first time in almost 7 years.
I would be interested!

Offline Shemp Shady

• Chucklehead
I'm also up for it -- haven't posted here in ages.
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I may do it somtime in the future, but please keep in mind I'm just about to end almost four years worth of weekly reviews and can use a little break from organizing new things.  I do appreciate the interest, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I may do it somtime in the future, but please keep in mind I'm just about to end almost four years worth of weekly reviews and can use a little break from organizing new things.  I do appreciate the interest, though.

Whoever said you'd have to organize it?  You have a ready volunteer  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Whoever said you'd have to organize it?  You have a ready volunteer  [pie]

This volunteer can then go ahead.  I'll participate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
This volunteer can then go ahead.  I'll participate.

I will probably do it in the regular short-reviews section or general discussion as I haven't the ability to start topics here.  People are more likely to see it there anyway.
#1 fire kibitzer