Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Home Video Licensing

Offline Hammond Eggar

I wish they'd offer TV shows on-demand, particularly shows they've started and never finished, as well as shows with copyrighted music.  I've been waiting for several years for seasons 4-6 of Green Acres, and seasons 2 & 3 of American Dreams, to finally be issued on DVD.  Plus, I'm tired of TV shows being issued with music removed and replaced.  WKRP in Cincinnati is one of the worst examples of this.  Perhaps, if TV shows were only issued on an on-demand basis, then music copyrights might cease to be an issue.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Curly4444

I wish they'd offer TV shows on-demand, particularly shows they've started and never finished, as well as shows with copyrighted music.  I've been waiting for several years for seasons 4-6 of Green Acres, and seasons 2 & 3 of American Dreams, to finally be issued on DVD.  Plus, I'm tired of TV shows being issued with music removed and replaced.  WKRP in Cincinnati is one of the worst examples of this.  Perhaps, if TV shows were only issued on an on-demand basis, then music copyrights might cease to be an issue.

What, that awesome WKRP theme is removed?? Never heard of this issue. I have Charmed, The Incredible Hulk, Terminator-Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Farscape TV stuff and the original opening themes are all there.

PS: The sarah connor chronicles did have the last of the 2nd season opening theme removed, but it was not replaced with anything. It just goes strait to the recap.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What, that awesome WKRP theme is removed?? Never heard of this issue.

He's not talking about the theme music.

He's talking about the music played by the DJs in each episode. All non-Fox-owned music (Fox owns the MTM Enterprises library) was redubbed with generic or similar rock/pop from the Fox music library.

Offline Curly4444

Wow, thats very strange. I guess it was ok to play the music when the show aired, but i guess the licensing ended, so they couldn't play it anymore. You would think that once the song was ok'ed to be used in that show, it could be used forever.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
You would think that once the song was ok'ed to be used in that show, it could be used forever.

No. The music was licensed for broadcast television... its CBS play, and aftermarket TV syndication.

30+ years ago, no one had the foresight to contract licenses for home video. If Fox wants to put an episode of WKRP on DVD, and it includes music by Foreigner, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Donna Summer, the Stones, etc., then the owners of that music are due additional royalties.

As a result, WKRP on DVD is cost prohibitive. Season 1 went forward, but with extensive music replacement; as a result of the replacements, sales tanked.

If you and a few thousand more consumers are willing to pay approx. $100/season with the original music, let 20th Century Fox know, and maybe they will consider your proposal.

Offline Curly4444

If you and a few thousand more consumers are willing to pay approx. $100/season with the original music, let 20th Century Fox know, and maybe they will consider your proposal.

As Al on Home Improvement would say, "I don't think so Tim".

If i really liked a show i don't think music replacement would keep me from buying it. If it had the opening theme and all of the episode, then id be happy.

Offline falsealarms

Music licensing is a huge reason why THE WONDER YEARS isn't on DVD. That show leaned heavily on period music.

Offline Hammond Eggar

That's why I wonder if TV shows on-demand would do away with much of the copyright concerns.  As for WKRP, from what I've read, more than just the music has been removed.  For example, in the classic Turkeys Away episode, Mr. Carlson steps into the studio, where Johnny Fever is playing "Dogs" by Pink Floyd.  Carlson's questions about the music had to be removed, since the song itself was replaced.  Plus, in another episode, Herb Tarlek's quoting of the Carpenters song "Sing" was also removed.  Shameful, but what can be done to work around this unfortunate issue? :-[
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Curly4444

Music licensing is a huge reason why THE WONDER YEARS isn't on DVD. That show leaned heavily on period music.

Not that would be a BIG problem for me. The music was so important to that show. If they cant have the original music in that show, then they should never release it.