Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The first short you saw?

Offline busybuddy

I'm not sure which one was the very first one I say, but I watched them every day with my dad when I was little. I constantly watched these shorts over and over again:

Creeps
Flagpole Jitters
Hoofs and Goofs
Space Ship Sappy
Goof on the Roof
We Want Our Mummy
Gents Without Cents

I think this is why I appreciate Shemp and Joe so much.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
I noticed on the "on this date in history" that Paul Shannon passed away 17 years ago today.  I would be remiss if I didn't post a comment about him today.  It was with Paul Shannon that I had my first taste of the comedy of the Stooges in the late 1950's.  He hosted "Paul Shannon's Adventure Time" on WTAE-TV in Pittsburgh, Pa.  Paul's show and the Holiday House in nearby Monroeville played a huge role in the Stooges amazing comeback in the late 50's.  They had just come off a rather dismal performance in Bakersfield, Calif, when they were booked by the "HH" initially for one week, with an option for a second.  The Stooges made several appearances on Shannon's show to promote the event, and the rest, as they say, is history.  The Stooges would end up playing for 6 consecutive weeks at the HH with capacity crowds at every performance.  The owner would try to book them even longer, but other offers began pouring in from all over the country.  RIP Mr. Shannon, and thanks for some fabulous memories!

My comment earlier in the thread was that I watched them on a "local kids show"... and it indeed was Paul Shannon's Adventure Time. It was the show that got me hooked on the Stooges. Got to sit in the audience one time with our Cub Scout troop, and another time I was named "King of Smile" on PSAT. I can't remember how that came about or what it meant, but my family still teases me about it. What I do remember was that being in the studio, you didn't get to watch the Stooges!

Offline nyukster

Wallawalla...I enjoyed reading your post.  Almost forgot about the smile contest.  As much as PSAT was my favorite kid show, due in large part having the Stooges and Rascals, oddly enough my childhood audience appearance came on the Captain Jim Popeye Club.  ..Nyukster

Offline RICO987

Wow, the first short I ever saw, I wish I could remember it.  I am not even certain of the date, but it had to be in the very early 1960s.  I believe I do remember the name of the show and the station:  The Uncle Bob Show on KTVU, Channel 2 in San Francisco.

Like 2reelers, The Hot Scots were always one of my favorites.  If I ever could find that mask at a costume store I would buy it.  It is amazing how many great props were used in the Stooges shorts.  And that is actually one of the ingredients that make the Stooges so good and make them last from generation to generation.  The props, the sound effects and the classic interaction of the three of them make the Stooges 1st rate and timeless. 

Are there any other San Francisco Bay Area fans out there that remember anything else about the Three Stooges early days on Channel 2?

And does anybody know where I could find one of those masks???     

Offline 2reelers

Like 2reelers, The Hot Scots were always one of my favorites.  If I ever could find that mask at a costume store I would buy it...And does anybody know where I could find one of those masks???     

I too would love to find that mask with the big teeth! It (or an incredibly similar mask) is also used in two other Columbia shorts, ONE SHIVERY NIGHT (Hugh Herbert) and THE CHAMPS STEP OUT (Max Baer & "Slapsie" Maxie Rosenbloom). I'm pretty sure it's the same mask in those films.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Interesting, in retrospect, how the Stooges morphed their comedy talents from vaudeville, the depression, WWII... to the popular monsters & westerns (and 3-D) in the '50's over the decades. Then into TV and cartoons.

Anyone to try that today would fail miserably.

James

PS. I have no clue. I was maybe 4 or 5 watching on WKBD in Detroit in the mid-60's. We had the Little Rascals too, but without a show host.
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline porcupinefan87

Honestly, I think that is the true measure of something being good. It's not for "this time, that time, or one time", but rather it's..."for all time". When something is good, in my view at least, one does not critique it as "old or new" but rather as "good or bad". Perhaps not in those black and white terms, but if something is truly good the time period it was made in should not matter much. The same is also true for an individual talent. The truly talented actors, musicians, etc are not just good for their time period, but would have been decent at least, in any time frame or situation.

I find myself  often gravitating towards things made years before I was even born. I tend to feel that ironically, they have more relevance today than the things that are blatantly made today to have a relavence today. (if that makes any sense).

Comedy particularly is good for this. If it is truly good, it commentates on and pokes fun at themes that are, indeed, timeless.

And by the way, yes "The Hot Scots" is such a wonderful short. Hillarious. My little sister was imitating the dance Moe does with the "blonde cookie" the other night...haha.  ;D
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Ppf-87,

I understand your point. I thought it interesting how the Stooges changed their comedic 'subjects' to keep current with the times. That's all.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline porcupinefan87

Oh yeah, sure....I completely agree with you.  8)

They managed to constantly evolve, while never really losing what made them magical in the first place.
"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline busybuddy

I think it just shows how to stay good, you have to evolve. The Stooges are a lot like the Beatles. they went through the early 60's boyfriend/girlfriend songs, to folk rock, to pop art, to psychediic, to long-haired bearded heavy rock-and-rollers. the Stooges also went through every change in American culture and they did it well.
I think Birdie will go for that!

Offline porcupinefan87

Great analogy. The Beatles are another one of my all time loves, favorites, etc...so I quite enjoy the comparison.  8)

But it's true really. Talent is timeless and one is able to adjust to the times while not losing the essense of what made them great to start with.
------------
------------

Offline kinderscenen

Heh.  Come to think of it, the Beatles and the Stooges both "broke up" the same year.  (Granted, in the latter case, you could say that they didn't really break up until Moe's death.)

That brings up an interesting point--as most have noticed in Moe's autobiography, he seems to get rather recent dates wrong. I mean, if he was composing his autobiography before his death (as was mentioned in Scrapbook), then why didn't he (or Joan, or the editors) notice that Kook's Tour was filmed in 1969-70?  I mean, it was a mere 4-5 years later!  I can remember what I was doing at certain points 25 years ago, much less 4-5. (I won't even get into the fact that he also neglected to mention--perhaps on purpose?--Emil being asked to join the Stooges.)

Heh.  For all it's horrendousness, "Stroke of Luck" did manage to get the date right, although the mention of Emil the Stooge is curiously missing.  Perhaps I'm missing something....
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline archiezappa

I probably don't remember the first Stooges short I ever saw.  However, I remember being about 3 or 4 years old and watching "Creeps."  Yes, I think my first Stooges short was one with Shemp.  I just watched that one again, recently.  It's funny, even if it is a remake of "Ghost Talks."

Offline GentWithoutCents

Got into the Stooges around 2 years ago at the relatively late age of 19 or 20. Being from the UK, we've had very little exposure to them, at least during the last quarter century - some Curly/Shemp shorts were shown on TV here for the brief period in the 80's, so sadly I missed out there. While looking for an alternative to Laurel and Hardy, I came across a selection of Stooge films hosted on Dailymotion. Seem to recall An Ache in Every Stake being among the first few I watched.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't know which short I saw first, but the ones that stuck out in my memory as a kid were generally the ones that had a darker or spookhouse atmosphere like The Ghost Talks, If a Body Meets a Body or even Heavenly Daze.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Curly4444

Man, I have no idea. Im too old to remember that far back. I will say i think it was a curly?

Dog Hambone

Man, I have no idea. Im too old to remember that far back.

Same here. I just recall them seeing them on television a lot back in the late 1950s & early 1960s.

Offline Curly4444

Same here. I just recall them seeing them on television a lot back in the late 1950s & early 1960s.

You know you just dated yourself there?  [laughing4]

Well i didn't mean that far back.  :D I just remember coming home from school(In the 80's) and watching them on WTBS(or was it WGN?), and late Saturday night on my ind. TV station KPLR channel 11 in St. Louis.

Offline curlysdame

Well i didn't mean that far back.  :D I just remember coming home from school(In the 80's) and watching them on WTBS(or was it WGN?), and late Saturday night on my ind. TV station KPLR channel 11 in St. Louis.

I think you just dated yourself, too!   [pie]  I used to come home from school and watch N.Y.U.K. everyday.  I believe the first short I saw was 'Violent Is The Word For Curly.'  The scene with Moe and Larry in the out-of-gas ice cream truck sticks out in my mind.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Dog Hambone

If you're implying that I'm an old fart, you're right. I turned 58 last September.

Offline metaldams

Got into the Stooges around 2 years ago at the relatively late age of 19 or 20. Being from the UK, we've had very little exposure to them, at least during the last quarter century - some Curly/Shemp shorts were shown on TV here for the brief period in the 80's, so sadly I missed out there. While looking for an alternative to Laurel and Hardy, I came across a selection of Stooge films hosted on Dailymotion. Seem to recall An Ache in Every Stake being among the first few I watched.

First off, welcome.  Secondly, cool to hear from a UK fan.  There aren't many of you UK Stooge fans out there, so spread the word.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Gritto RhumBoogie

The first short I saw was, strangely enough, Husbands Beware.  I think the tape also had Musty Musketeers and Wham Bam Slam on it.  It's kind of funny because all three are remakes!  I bought it on Goodtimes video when I was about 9 years old. 
That will be all, Ralph.