Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The first short you saw?

Offline goofontheroof

Hi,

I was wondering what the first short was that everyone saw (if you remember!). I was introduced to the stooges in 1982 when my dad used to tape them off TV. Over the weekend i was watching the first tape that i had and the first episode on it was Three Arabian Nuts. It set the scene for all the others  but when i think of the first time i saw them, it was Shemp! - probably a rarity for a lot of people.

So, what was the first one for others?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 09:38:51 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Pilsner Panther

Hi,

I was wondering what the first short was that everyone saw (if you remember!). I was introduced to the stooges in 1982 when my dad used to tape them off TV. Over the weekend i was watching the first tape that i had and the first episode on it was Three Arabian Nuts. It set the scene for all the others  but when i think of the first time i saw them, it was Shemp! - probably a rarity for a lot of people.

So, what was the first one for others?

This question is kind of related to the recent thread on "how did you get into the Stooges?"

If you grew up in the U.S. and you're of a certain age (let's say, over 35), the Stooges were always on TV, so it's really impossible to remember which short you saw first.

Just the other night, I visited an old high school friend of mine; I hadn't seen him in a while, and we watched "Micro-Phonies" and "Uncivil Warriors." He hadn't watched the Stooges in a long time, but he still remembered all of the funniest lines in both shorts— he was cracking up a second or two before every one!

The scene in "Uncivil Warriors" where the boys are eating the cake with the potholder baked into it and then blowing feathers out of their mouths had him rolling on the floor, and I'm sure he'd seen it dozens of times as a kid. Anything that funny never, ever loses its comic edge!

The baby boomers like Rob and the late boomers like me were really lucky to have grown up with the Stooges and with the classic Warner Brothers and Max Fleischer Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons available at the flip of a switch! I feel sorry for today's youngsters who don't have that luxury— which was free, besides. Nowadays, if you want any of those, you have to buy a VHS tape or a DVD.

:-[

Offline goofontheroof

Well, i'm 27 and from Australia, so it's harder to see them all here unless we were lucky to tape them off TV back in the day. there aren't many dvd releases here

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
Well, i'm 27 and from Australia, so it's harder to see them all here unless we were lucky to tape them off TV back in the day. there aren't many dvd releases here

Yeah, but the DVDs you do have contain quite a few shorts never released here in the U.S.

To answer Goof's original question, "Brideless Groom" was my first short when my dad showed me a public domain tape that Blockbuster made.  That tape also had "Malice in the Palace" and the other tape in the set had "Disorder in the Court" and "Sing a Song Of Six Pants."  I actually remember not liking "Disorder..." too much mainly because I used to think it was too long, and I probably also didn't understand some of the verbal jokes.  Maybe my early years of liking the Stooges have gotten me to pick Shemp as my favorite Stooge.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline Genius In the Lamp

• Unofficial genealogist of pretty blonde daughters of Canadian mining engineers
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
The first short I remember seeing was BEER BARREL POLECATS.  This was when Channel 32 started showing the shorts around 1974.  Prior to that, I had seen some Stooge shorts when I was really small, but I couldn't exactly tell you which ones.  I may have also seen some Andy Clyde shorts way back when, but I couldn't tell you anything about those, either.
"I like very much your English punk rock stars, you know, your Lulu, your Dave Clark Five!"  - Jerzy Balowski

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I haven't the foggiest idea which short was the first one I saw. The only people who really should be able to answer this question are those who just recently saw a short for the first time or those who are supremely anal Stoogemaniacs. I fall into neither category.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Baggie

I think it's easier for none-Americans to answer this question. Since my dad only had two tapes I'm guessing it was either An Ache In Every Stake or Uncivil Warriors.
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

xraffle

The first short I saw was "A Bird In The Head". I watched it and I automatically became a fan of the Stooges. This short will always remain as one of my favorites because it was the one that got me into the Stooges.

Offline Senorita Rita

The first one I saw was "Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb." Back then, I didn't know who or what I was watching (I was about 6 at the time,) but the scene with Larry in the bathtub always stuck with me...
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline Honey Bear

Wow, I have no idea what was the very first 3S short that I saw but the first one I remember is Women Haters.
The future ain't what it used to be. -- Yogi Berra (1925 - )

Offline Stoop

I think the first short I saw was Disorder in the Court . . . Or maybe it was Three Little Beers . I don’t remember. But it was definitely one of those two.
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I have no idea, in all honesty. I wasn't even 2 when I first started watching them in 1987/88... so I don't remember. My first memory of watching a Stooge short was We Want Our Mummy, but thats simply after we taped them on the Sunday morning they aired we replayed the tape for weeks, even years after... and We Want Our Mummy was the first short on the tape. I just as well watch it again than fast-forward it.

I also remember watching Stoogemania a bunch of times when I was younger. It was on HBO all the time and we had a tape of it. The 4 PD shorts are in that, so I saw chunks of those all the time too.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

larry

"I have no idea..."

Me too.

Larry

Offline AKStoogeFan

I don't remember what the first short I saw was.  That was many years ago.  However, since I haven't seen the Stooges in years since, the first one I can remember seeing is "Brideless Groom" from the Platinum Disc Corporation set I bought a couple years ago.  Since I have yet to invest in Columbia DVDs, the only shorts I can really remember are the public domain shorts.  And "Jerks Of All Trades," "Nertsery Rhymes," and "Beer & Pretzels" from the two Platinum Disc sets I have.

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
Wow, I couldn't possibly remember which one I first saw. They were on a local kids' show that I watched after school and I never missed.

Offline Robbie883

The first shorts I saw were on a tape my dad rented from Blockbuster about 12 years ago when I was 4 years old. It was Disorder in the Court, Brideless Groom, Sing a Song of Six Pants, and Malace in the Palace. And after laughing my little butt off just becuase of the smacking and hitting in the head. I sit back and watch them even more apprecative today because I understand them now and they make me laugh harder and harder no matter how many times I've seen it.  :D

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The first shorts I saw were on a tape my dad rented from Blockbuster about 12 years ago when I was 4 years old.

You kids are making me feel old before my time.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
The first shorts I saw were on a tape my dad rented from Blockbuster about 12 years ago when I was 4 years old.

You kids are making me feel old before my time.

Hell, how do you think they make me feel?  I'm old enough to be your father, let alone theirs[faint2]

(Just don't start calling me "Grandpa Rob", or I'll have to open a can of whoop-ass!")

Offline Robbie883

Offline Lola-Lou

• Porcupine
  • Applehead
  • I know, I keep changing my name.The voices told me
I think you just opened a can of WORMS Rob! :P :D
"I see" said the blind man peeing into the wind "it's all coming back to me now."

Offline Christine McIntyre

Like wallawalla, I saw the Stooges on TV all the time after school as a kid and would never remember the very first one I saw...but "Microphonies" definitely sticks out as an early favorite!  :D
"How dare you look like someone I hate?!"

Offline FineBari3

The first short I saw was "Fiddler's Three". I was about 8, and it was a saturday in 1978. The local UHF crap station, WPTT 22, was showing them. The used to show them Sat and Sunday, and daily for an hour at 7am, and also at 4pm!  I would get ready for school with them on and then come back and watch them!!!

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
The first short I saw was "Fiddler's Three". I was about 8, and it was a saturday in 1978. The local UHF crap station, WPTT 22, was showing them. The used to show them Sat and Sunday, and daily for an hour at 7am, and also at 4pm!  I would get ready for school with them on and then come back and watch them!!!

WPTT! That was Captain Jim who always said "And now it's time for our three nutty friends" :)

Offline ProfessorStooge