Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

1923 MOE HORWITZ Memorabilia

Offline bensonhurst

Hoping to get some information/advice on a piece of memorabilia I have..

It is a playbill (believed original and not a copy)  for the May 27, 1923 performance of  POTASH AND PERMUTTER performed by the Young Folks' League Players of the Congregation Sons of Israel,  at the Montauk Theatre in Brooklyn NY as a benefit for the Jewish Community House of Bensonhurst.

Stated on front page -  "under personal direction of Moe Horwitz"

Moe is also listed inside in the role of Mawruss Perlmutter, and inside,  the phrase "under personal direction of Mr. Moe Horwitz" also appears.

The program is a b&w 2 sided 8 1/2 X 11 paper folded in half to make 4 sides.  On the back is an advertisement for a local business.

This was found among old papers and photographs of my father's family who grew up as neighbors and friends of the Horwitz family. My aunt in fact is listed among the cast members. My dad used to tell me that Moe had borrowed either 25 or 50 cents from him and still owed him the money!

Biographical info on the web seems to indicate 1927 as the year of involvement with the JCH so this places it at several years earlier.

I am curious first, if this is an important and/or rare find and adds knowledge to the base of Moe Howard information.  Secondly I wonder if any here can suggest what they think might be the best auction house to handle this, were I inclined to put it up for auction.

Thanks very much.

Offline afcomser

Your Whole Family is a Rare find to actually know the the Horowitz family before they were famous. Your Dad Mus have known Ted Healy too since he was Moe's best friend. Do you have any pictures of the horowitz family and kids as well?
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline afcomser

Ok Now To Give You A More Accurate Help. The Three Stooges Scrapbook 1st edition mentions this play done by Moe in 1923 so that is accurate. I would say the Playbill is a very rare find. It was done during one of Moe's first hiatus's from his acting professionally with Ted Heally and Shemp. Moe Tendened to take them from time to time to be close to his family who lived in Bensonhurst. If you were inclined to sell this piece of Memorabilia I would first offer it to the Stoogeum. It has a collection of playbills of Moe, and they would greatly appreciate it's Value. Besides it should be Something that All Stooge Fans should enjoy not just stuck in a private collection.

Offline bensonhurst

Thanks Afcomser for doing that research. I really appreciate it!

In answer to your first post, I don't recall any mention of Ted Healy by my dad. Nor, unfortunately do we have any pictures of the Horwitz family.  Wish we did!

Offline afcomser

Well Ted Heally In Those Days was named Lee Nash, did you every hear of that name?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Well Ted Heally In Those Days was named Lee Nash, did you every hear of that name?

Not in those days, i.e., 1923. He adopted the stage name of Ted Healy sometime back in the 1910s. As "Healy," he was already an established vaudeville headliner in 1922.

His real name of Charles Ernest Lee Nash is generally known to Stooge aficionados. Recent research, including Texas birth and census records, has uncovered that his middle name is Lea, not Lee. A typo in the official records? Maybe, but regardless, Lea is the legal, recorded spelling of his middle name.

Offline afcomser

Yeah But we are going way back, to when they were kids. This guys dad grew up as neighbors of the Horowitz family. You are right on the full name, but both Larry's and Moes Biography mention a Lee (even though it should have been spelled Lea) Nash or a Ernie Nash. If you know so much ask him, here is somebody who's dad knew Moe & Shemp before they were famous. I would love to hear more stories about them.