The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

W. C. Fields' MISSISSIPPI (1935), November 2

Linked Events

• W.C. Fields MISSISSIPPI on DVD: November 02, 2010 - November 08, 2010

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Universal will release "The Bing Crosby Collection" on November 2, 2010.  The six films in the set are...

MISSISSIPPI (1935), costarring W. C. Fields
COLLEGE HUMOR (1933)
WE'RE NOT DRESSING (1934)
HERE IS MY HEART (1934)
SING YOU SINNERS (1938)
WELCOME STRANGER (1947)

Offline metaldams

Of course I want to see MISSISSIPPI as a Fields fan, but from that perspective, is it any good?  Just curious for an opinion from those who have seen it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Of course I want to see MISSISSIPPI as a Fields fan, but from that perspective, is it any good?  Just curious for an opinion from those who have seen it.
This is great news. As a long-time Bing Crosby and old musicals fan I have old tapes of all of these titles, but just the fact that Universal wants to put these out is exciting. One of these, HERE IS MY HEART has been an especially rare one.

Regarding MISSISSIPPI, like a few other Fields movies in which he's not the star, it is still recommended, but be prepared for much plot business involving Bing Crosby and Joan Bennett, etc. Bing introduces some really classic Rodgers & Hart songs, Bennett looks beautiful, and I think there's enough Fields to satisfy his fans.

One personal item of trivia for me regarding MISSISSIPPI:
A couple of years ago I had the chance to acquire a copy of a 1929 Paramount feature called RIVER OF ROMANCE. It's one of those obscure early talkies that I'd heard of but never expected to ever see. But any early talkie, and with stars such as Charles "Buddy" Rogers and Mary Brian, I'm there! But a strange thing happened as I watched it...the story started to look familiar, until it soon became clear that this was an early version of MISSISSIPPI! I had never seen it documented anywhere before that MISSISSIPPI was a remake of this 1929 Paramount feature. So without the obvious updates in the remake such as songs for Crosby and comedy for Fields it was interersting to see this quite different take on the story.
But I must report that as an early sound movie it's a bit slow moving and that MISSISSIPPI is more fun.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Related matters, and a reminder...

August 21, 2010 is the final day for the "W. C. Fields Exhibit" at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, at Lincoln Center in Manhattan... a presentation of Fields' personal and professional materials, from his family's archives. The exhibit received rave reviews at its 2007 premiere at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences in Los Angeles.

NPR interview with Fields' granddaughter, Dr. Harriet Fields.

Offline metaldams

Regarding MISSISSIPPI, like a few other Fields movies in which he's not the star, it is still recommended, but be prepared for much plot business involving Bing Crosby and Joan Bennett, etc. Bing introduces some really classic Rodgers & Hart songs, Bennett looks beautiful, and I think there's enough Fields to satisfy his fans.

From a Fields viewpoint, sounds like THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938 with Bing instead of Bob.
- Doug Sarnecky

Online falsealarms

NBC Universal has this set for 15.98 -- roughly 60% off. Pretty good for 6 films. Beats Amazon by 20 bucks.

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/detail.php?p=270295