Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SpikeTV and the Stooges

BeAStooge · 56 · 22216

Poll

Now that they've started showing them, what do you think of Spike TV's treatment of the Stooges?

[img width= height=]http://threestooges.net/forums/Smileys/default/thumbsup.gif[/img]
9 (20.9%)
[img width= height=]http://threestooges.net/forums/Smileys/default/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
34 (79.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Linked Events

• THREE STOOGES MARATHON: April 01, 2005

Curley91

This was terrible! (just like amc's crap.) I had to go to work on the day of the marathon, so I taped it. When I got home, I was terribly disappointed. There were commercials all through them. And to make this worse, I had seen all of them already! It was cheap. I have not tuned in on the weekends either. Spike's handling of the stooges is totally unforgivable.

Offline shempgurl887

I love the three stooges what channel is it on.
Angela Marquez. :) 0:)
        And
Shemp Howard. :)  0:)

Offline BeAStooge

Offline shempgurl887

ok thanxs. [stooges] [duck] [spy] [pot] [rotflmao] [salame] [faint2] [deadhorse] [banghead]
Angela Marquez. :) 0:)
        And
Shemp Howard. :)  0:)

Offline shempheadbat

>:(  I'd like to give 'em a spike...  I wonder why, with all the legal wrangling over who's entitled to the rights etc., no one has bothered to stipulate that the stations who show the shorts may not butcher them to shoehorn in more commercials (or worse, Leslie Nielsen  ??? )?

Offline BeAStooge

>:(  I'd like to give 'em a spike...  I wonder why, with all the legal wrangling over who's entitled to the rights etc., no one has bothered to stipulate that the stations who show the shorts may not butcher them to shoehorn in more commercials (or worse, Leslie Nielsen  ??? )?

Two separate issues...

- Legal issues since 1993 have been over intellectual rights, aka Trademark, and participation in the benefits of Trademark between the Howard, Fine & DeRita families.  That is C3.  None of that impacts the hows, whys, or wherefores of TV presentations.

- The films are owned by Columbia.  There has never been any "legal wrangling" over that.  Columbia produced the 190 short films, copyrighted them, and have always owned the films.

Complaints over the presentation of the Stooges' films on national cable and local broadcast outlets should be directed to Sony/Columbia, SpikeTV, and local TV stations.

Offline shempheadbat

Wow!  You must have a lot of important things to think about, so I really appreciate your taking the time to point me in the right direction. 

Offline strubachinkoscow

Thought this list of SPIKE's Stooge episodes would be interesting to the readers. This is all they are going to broadcast (for now )

All Gummed Up
Ants in the Pantry
Blunder Boys
Brideless Groom
Commotion on the Ocean
Cookoo Cavaliers
Crime on Their Hands
Disorder in the Court
Fiddlers Three
Fright Night
Fuelin' Around
Goof on the Roof
Grips, Grunts and Groans
Hold That Lion
Hot Stuff
How High Is Up?
I Can Hardly Wait
I'll Never Heil Again
I'm a Monkey's Uncle
Idiots Deluxe
If a Body Meets a Body
Income-Tax Sappy
Loco Boy Makes Good
Malice in the Palace
Matri-phony
Merry Mavericks
No Census, No Feeling
No Doughboys
Oil's Well That Ends Well
Out West
Outer-Space Jitters
Pardon My Scotch
Pest Man Wins
Phony Express
Playing the Ponies
Rumpus in the Harem
Sappy Bullfighters
Scotched in Scotland
Sock-a-Bye-Baby
Stone Age Romeos
Tassels in the Air
The Ghost Talks
Three Arabian Nuts
Three Little Pigskins
Three Loan Wolves
Three Missing Links
Three Smart Saps
Violent Is the Word for Curly
We Want Our Mummy
Wee Wee Monsieur
What's the Matador?
Who Done It?
You Natzy Spy
How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!

xraffle

Where did you get this list? Rumpus In The Harem, Scotched In Scotland, and Stone Age Romeos are shorts that were never shown on AMC and they are very rare. I hope you are correct. If you really are, then I'll celebrate because I need those shorts.

xraffle

I finally was able to watch one short on Spike TV. It was the only short I watched on Spike TV. The amount of commercials shown is a complete disgrace. It's very upsetting. However, the good news is that they are showing the shorts unedited. The Family Channel was terrible because they edited almost all the shorts. There were only about 2 or 3 that they didn't edit. And they edited a lot too. If Spike TV shows the 'missing 60' unedited, then I'm not going to complain. However, if they are going to continue to show those exact same shorts that AMC aired, then I'll remain upset. There has to be some station out there that will be able to get the rights to air all the shorts. It's really unfair. Why are the people living in Chicago the only people that are entitled to see all 190 shorts?

Pilsner Panther

I finally was able to watch one short on Spike TV. It was the only short I watched on Spike TV. The amount of commercials shown is a complete disgrace. It's very upsetting. However, the good news is that they are showing the shorts unedited. The Family Channel was terrible because they edited almost all the shorts. There were only about 2 or 3 that they didn't edit. And they edited a lot too. If Spike TV shows the 'missing 60' unedited, then I'm not going to complain. However, if they are going to continue to show those exact same shorts that AMC aired, then I'll remain upset. There has to be some station out there that will be able to get the rights to air all the shorts. It's really unfair. Why are the people living in Chicago the only people that are entitled to see all 190 shorts?

To give credit where it's due, Spike TV's list of Stooges shorts is a really good one— I would have picked most of the same shorts myself to put on the air. They're even showing one of the few decent Besser shorts, "Outer Space Jitters."

But if they're interrupting the Stooges with a lot of commercials, that bites the big one. If you're one of us "old-timers" who grew up watching the Stooges on TV as a kid in the 60's or 70's, that was how we got to know the Stooges in the first place. I can still remember the basic layout of the Officer Joe Bolton Stooges Show, which was as follows (more or less):

Opening circus-band theme music on circus backdrop.

Officer Joe enters, says a few words to the audience about the short, warns the kids not to try Stooges stunts at home.

[commercial]

Stooges short, stop halfway through for—

[commercials, either one 60-second or two 30-second]

Back to Stooges short (second reel), end

Officer Joe says goodbye until next time.

When the Columbia Stooges VHS tapes came out, it was a revelation to me how well-written the shorts were, and how the funny scenes just flowed from one to the next in the best ones— I'd never seen them that way before. The same thing is true of "The Honeymooners," which really benefits from having the commercials cut out in the DVD box set.

Besides, even if you wanted to buy a DuMont TV, you'd be out of luck...

;D

xraffle

To give credit where it's due, Spike TV's list of Stooges shorts is a really good one— I would have picked most of the same shorts myself to put on the air. They're even showing one of the few decent Besser shorts, "Outer Space Jitters."

Spike TV's list of Stooges shorts are the same as AMC's list of shorts, only AMC never interrupted the shorts like crazy. I wish TCM would try getting the rights to air the stooges. Maybe, the stooges might get a little more respect.

Offline jaronson

• Numbskull
  • Team Stooge
  • Birdbrain
What I really wish SpikeTV would do is make a schedule available for what shorts they're airing in like the next four weeks or so.  Then I'd be able to plan ahead and record shorts I don't have, even if they have commercials spliced in.
Larry: Wait a minute, you forgot something. *SLAP* That’s what you forgot.   -TRICKY DICKS

Moe: This is a pool game, not a blitzkrieg.  I think I’ll invade you.    -I’LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN

Stanley Blystone: But my Fuhrer, ve are Nazis, ve have no brains.    -BACK FROM THE FRONT

2007 New York Giants: Super Bowl XLII Champions

Offline strubachinkoscow

Hi All
I got this list from my dish network guide for Spike.
If you go to zap2it.com and enter your cable or
satellite provider, you can get the spiketv weekly schedule
showing which stooges are up for the week.

Enjoy
How do you like that? I'm dancin to the trombone part!

titmouse

Annoyed as i get watching spike split the shorts 3 times per episode....its fun to turn the close captioning on and view them from that perspective.......i had never seen the Stooges with captions till spike started showin em.....especially when shemp was telling van zant how to spell the rocket fuel formula......tttttt...ttttt.ttttt..came up on the caption....he he

Offline JCole11B

The commercial breaks are sad.

As the first short ended this morning, I made a cup of coffee and smoked a cigarette and was done before the second short even started.

xraffle

Yeah, the commercial break in between the two shorts is painful. That is why I don't watch it. I only watched one or two shows and I went crazy. If Spike TV wants to put commercials without editing the shorts, they should consider fitting 5 shorts in a 2 hour time slot. That would be more reasonable.

Offline Stoop

I got up early enough to watch it a few weeks ago and I didn’t really mind…I mean I would really prefer they be uncut too, but as they are not I just put up with it. I think I have gotten used to the commercials from that station since I’ve been watching that channel for a long time now. (it must tell you a lot about me, huh?) And some of my friends started watching the stooges on Spike too, which I think is more than great.
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

After owning and tranfering Stooge shorts from VHS to DVD, it's difficult for me to watch them with so many commercials. When I have a chance, I record the shows on Spike TV then fast foward during the commercials.
Glad To Meet Me.

brett11253

The commercial breaks are sad.

As the first short ended this morning, I made a cup of coffee and smoked a cigarette and was done before the second short even started.

Yes... The breaks ruin the whole show... Why cant they just not have them???? ???

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I don't have a problem with the commercial breaks between the shorts - I can also get up and do other things during them.  It's the commercial breaks during the shorts that annoy the crap out of me and why I stopped watching Spike TV altogether.  There is no reason why a 16-20 minute short has to have commercial interruptions, other than pure greed.  >:(

brett11253

I don't have a problem with the commercial breaks between the shorts - I can also get up and do other things during them.  It's the commercial breaks during the shorts that annoy the crap out of me and why I stopped watching Spike TV altogether.  There is no reason why a 16-20 minute short has to have commercial interruptions, other than pure greed.  >:(

Yes. Very true breaks durring the show are pointless. :'(

Offline alwaysastooge

The sad part is that I can get a big bowl of cereal and finish it, all in one commercial break.
Come and register and post at my Three Stooges Website at http://stoogesboards.proboards55.com/index.cgi

Nojaa

>:(

I also don't like what Spike TV has done with the Stooges.  C'mon, guys, can't we have the commercials BETWEEN episodes?  Spike is no different than any other general cable broadcast station.  They are more interested in getting the commercial breaks in than in showing the program.

It's just like with the movies shown on the channels, the closer the movie gets to the end, the more commercials the channel shows, until you get to the point that they have a commercial break every five minutes!

I timed the commercial breaks during a movie I watched once.  In the 2-1/2 hour time slot the movie showed in, there were 45 minutes' worth of commercials!

Nojaa.