Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

David L. Wolper, 82, Film & TV Producer

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Film and television producer David L. Wolper died August 10, age 82.

Wolper's many production credits include WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (1971), ROOTS (1977), THE THORN BIRDS (1983), NORTH AND SOUTH (1985), L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997) and the 1960s/70s NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC specials. His production company turned out TV sitcoms like WELCOME BACK KOTTER (1975 - 1979) and CHICO AND THE MAN (1974 - 1978), and partnered with Hanna-Barbera & Larry Harmon Productions for THE LAUREL & HARDY SHOW (1966) TV cartoon series.

Wolper executive produced the 3-hour ABC special HOLLYWOOD: THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER (1982), one of a series of TV specials celebrating Los Angeles' history, this one focusing on L.A.'s film industry.

Turning this obit notice into an on-topic discussion...

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER featured the Three Stooges (and Ted Healy) with clips from THE BIG IDEA (1934), THREE LITTLE BEERS (1935) and a clip from an unidentified SCREEN SNAPSHOTS. This SCREEN SNAPSHOTS clip was a recent topic of conversation for The Three Stooges Journal staff, and a couple insiders/experts in the industry... the original theatrical source/credit of the clip remains unknown.

Wolper's producer on THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER was Jack Haley Jr.  Haley produced the TV series HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS (1963 - 1964), and an episode of that reportedly used this particular Stooges film clip. Leonard Maltin (GIFT's Film Consultant) informs us that Haley was the source of the clip in GIFT OF LAUGHTER, but Leonard's records do not have additional information. Unfortunately, Jack Haley Jr. passed away in 2001.

Of all the SCREEN SNAPSHOTS known-to-date, as reported in The Three Stooges Journal over the years, and also listed in this site's Filmography, this clip is not believed to come from them. Even though the puppets seen in the footage were late 1930s products, the boys' appearances (general age, Larry's hairline, and their suit fashions) look to make it from the early 1940s. Many Columbia SCREEN SNAPSHOTS remain mysteries, so the original source of this Stooge appearance is a hopeful future addition to the Filmography.

Below is a screen-grab from HOLLYWOOD: THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER. If it registers to anyone with relevant answers...

-  The original theatrical appearance of this footage?
 -  The HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS (1963 - 1964) episode details for this footage?

Offline Rich Finegan

Below is a screen-grab from HOLLYWOOD: THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER. If it registers to anyone with relevant answers...

-  The original theatrical appearance of this footage?
 -  The HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS (1963 - 1964) episode details for this footage?

I do remember for sure that clip was used in the HOLLYWOOD AND THE STARS episode entitled "The Wild and Wonderful Thirties" (episode 31 of 31 in the series, originally broadcast May 4, 1964). The show was hosted and narrated by Joseph Cotten, and I know that the Stooges clip had no sound...I mean The Stooges didn't talk in the clip, and that it was very brief...only a few seconds long. And I can't recall exactly what was said in the narration, but I know it was not informative, such as identifying anything about the clip or its original source. I haven't seen this series since Channel 5, Boston, ran it in about 1974. I wish I could recall more about it. And I wish someone would release the series on DVD or get it on TV, like on TCM for instance or some channel that specializes in documentaries.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I'm so sorry to read about Mr. Wolper's passing.  As a Beatles fan I must make mention that, in addition to the above credits, he also co-produced the 1988 theatrical documentary Imagine: John Lennon with the film's director Andrew Solt.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)