Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Looney Tunes "Now Showing"

Offline Curly4444

With all the interest there seems to be in looney tunes here, thought it might be cool to post some of your favs.

I'll start. Here's a awesome one that teaches you about greed/gluttony

. [youtube=425,350]iXI8d37KCS8[/youtube]

Offline Blystone

This one teaches you absolutely nothing, it's just one of the looniest:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dpOPyjmB8SI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dpOPyjmB8SI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0</a>

Offline Curly4444

[youtube=425,350]D2EcRAoBCEY[/youtube]

I tat I saw a putty cat. lol

[youtube=425,350]akAEIW3rmvQ[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

I was never able to record this one. Wonder if its on the golden collection??

[youtube=425,350]UtJhWXH7_rU&feature=PlayList&p=5964C36BF2254267&playnext=1&index=30[/youtube]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
We've got to include my favorite Bugs Bunny foil - Yosemite Sam:

[youtube=425,350]R_Ho7a8Owac[/youtube]

"I'm a thinkin'!"
[youtube=425,350]rNFsnZdn1Ho[/youtube]

Offline Blystone

We've got to include my favorite Bugs Bunny foil - Yosemite Sam:

Friz Freleng once said that he came up with Sam because he thought that Bugs needed a more aggressive opponent than Elmer Fudd. He was so aggressive that Mel Blanc said that Sam was the only one of his many voices that left him with a sore throat after recording a cartoon!

Offline Curly4444

Friz Freleng once said that he came up with Sam because he thought that Bugs needed a more aggressive opponent than Elmer Fudd. He was so aggressive that Mel Blanc said that Sam was the only one of his many voices that left him with a sore throat after recording a cartoon!

Best move ever, Elmer Fudd was a big wimp. Sams the man!! Love that guy. Im always rooting for him and hoping hell win one of these times.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Bob Clampett's masterpiece.

Embedding disabled; you'll have to go to youtube to watch it. If racial stereotypes are a problem for you, don't watch it.

[youtube=425,350]_HwbnFQdm3Q[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

Wow, you'll never see that on any loony tunes collection.  ::) Thanks for sharing, never seen that one in my life. If people had bigger minds and realized that was just part of the times, we would have see that on tv.

Offline Blystone

If we're going to go down this road, well...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/78Gln3PQ_0w&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/78Gln3PQ_0w&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0</a>

I'll go ahead and link to the cartoon directly, but I'll echo BeAStooge in saying that if you're offended by black stereotypes, just don't watch it. As I see it, everything else here is just as crazily exaggerated as the black characters, which renders them basically inoffensive. You can't take a second of this cartoon seriously, and that's the whole idea:

"I fall down 14 miles and hits on the pavement, and right there is when I get mad!"

Offline Curly4444

I didnt see nothing wrong with that one, except for the exaggerated lips. The black character was even the hero.

Heres some more:

[youtube=425,350]gH4ivOyO0PQ[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]7LMrdcs4ucc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]OXB3pTMkQFs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]dSYAY1nv6tg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Rok4Hfrt_sU[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
you'll never see that on any loony tunes collection.

That may not necessarily be true. Long a topic of discussion since their 1966 withdrawal from circulation, Warner's Censored Eleven received a special theatrical screening as part of the TCM Film Festival in Hollywood, "Removed From Circulation: A Cartoon Collection," on April 24, 2010.

btw - it's now more than 11; in the early/mid '90s, WHICH IS WITCH? (1949) and one other I can't recall at the moment, were withdrawn to unofficially comprise a "WB censored 13."

In the early 1990s, over-sensitivity withheld a few more for a period of time, but they have returned to general circulation and/or DVD in recent years, e.g., FRIGID HARE (1949), MISSISSIPPI HARE (1948), BUSHY HARE (1950), etc.

I doubt the "11" (or "13") will see a general retail release, but the Warner Archive could be a possibility.

Offline Curly4444

Wow, thanks for the enlightenment. Man your a walking encyclopedia. lol The WHICH IS WITCH was a bugs bunny cartoon, right?

Offline Curly4444

Not a WB looney tune, but it follows the current theme(has a Chinese stereotype in there somewhere). Also was a fav of mine as a kid. I would go literally nuts when it came on tv!! God bless Tex Avery!! :D

[youtube=425,350]UCP4JghzbGM[/youtube]

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
WHICH IS WITCH was a bugs bunny cartoon, right?

Yes.

3 days ago, July 27, was the 70th anniversary of the first "official" Bugs Bunny cartoon (preceded by a handful of 1938 - 1940 cartoons with prototypes).

I was annoyed to hear various news outlets report the anniversary of "The Wild Hare;" not entirely their fault, because Warner itself later re-released the toon as a Blue Ribbon, with the plain/generic title card of "The Wild Hare." That's the print most of us have seen on TV and many home videos for the past 6 decades. Still, the news media should get it right...

Here's Tex Avery's cartoon, with its original title credits, A WILD HARE (1940)...

[youtube=425,350]9MkHcoy9d1w[/youtube]

Offline Curly4444

By prototypes i guess they mean; porky's hare hunt, presto-chango, hare-um Sar-um, and elmers candid camera?

BeAStooge why was elmer replaced with some black lookin character in "All this and Rabbit Stew".

Offline Stooges#1

One of my favourites - Three Little Bops. It's on volume 2 of the Golden Collections too, thankfully.  ;)

I'm not sure how to embed youtube clips, sorry.

[youtube=425,350]ofD6s8ReggI[/youtube]

The only way I see the censored 11 (or 13) coming out on DVD is if WB's released every short, except those, and then came out with those in their own DVD right at the end. That is the only way I can see it happening.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:34:37 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
By prototypes i guess they mean; porky's hare hunt, presto-chango, hare-um Sar-um, and elmers candid camera?

Yes, that's what I meant.

why was elmer replaced with some black lookin character in "All this and Rabbit Stew".

Elmer wasn't "replaced." That hunter was 1 character in 1 cartoon. This was early in Bugs' history; the toons included numerous different characters/adversaries... the indian in HIAWATHA'S RABBIT HUNT (1941), the dog in THE HECKLING HARE (1941), the turtle in TORTOISE BEATS HARE (1941)... right after STEW (1941), there's the lion in HOLD THE LION, PLEASE (1942), Beaky Buzzard in BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID (1942), the magician in CASE OF THE MISSING HARE (1942), etc.

There were different directors (Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, Bob Clampett), and writers. Each had his own sense of humor, point-of-view, vision, et.al. whatever.

Tex Avery directed ALL THIS AND RABBIT STEW (1941), and for reasons known to him, based his hunter character on popular/well-known supporting players Stepin' Fetchit and Willie Best. It had nothing to do with "replacing" Elmer Fudd.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Three Stooges in the early Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies...

THE MILLER'S DAUGHTER (1934)
[youtube=425,350]9jcuB1LOE2Q[/youtube]

BUDDY'S LOST WORLD (1935)
[youtube=425,350]NpCj4Pr5g9g[/youtube]

See this site's 3 Stooges Tribute filmography for more on these, and other toons.

Offline Blystone

Not a WB looney tune, but it follows the current theme(has a Chinese stereotype in there somewhere). Also was a fav of mine as a kid. I would go literally nuts when it came on tv!! God bless Tex Avery!! :D

Someone who knows how to do it might have to split this topic off into a separate Tex Avery thread. "Bad Luck Blackie" is amazing for cramming so many plot threads into a seven-minute cartoon: bad luck, good luck, sadism, loyalty, disloyalty, the power of a magic object, the force of gravity, and how tempting it can be to join the "dark side" (long before George Lucas came along).

How does the Magic Whistle work? Where did it come from? How did Blackie the Cat get it? None of this is stated— but like Aladdin's Lamp, it just does the bidding of its current owner without knowing or caring what the results might be. There's some resemblance here to the singing frog in "One Froggy Evening;" sure, it's magical, but would you want to own it? Maybe not.

One of my top ten (if not top five) animated cartoons of all time. Oh, and the voice of the nasty bulldog is provided by Tex himself.

[clap]

Offline Curly4444

Elmer wasn't "replaced." That hunter was 1 character in 1 cartoon. This was early in Bugs' history; the toons included numerous different characters/adversaries... the indian in HIAWATHA'S RABBIT HUNT (1941), the dog in THE HECKLING HARE (1941), the turtle in TORTOISE BEATS HARE (1941)... right after STEW (1941), there's the lion in HOLD THE LION, PLEASE (1942), Beaky Buzzard in BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID (1942), the magician in CASE OF THE MISSING HARE (1942), etc.

Ok, gotcha. I should have realized that, makes sense.

How does the Magic Whistle work? Where did it come from? How did Blackie the Cat get it? None of this is stated— but like Aladdin's Lamp, it just does the bidding of its current owner without knowing or caring what the results might be. There's some resemblance here to the singing frog in "One Froggy Evening;" sure, it's magical, but would you want to own it? Maybe not.

Or another question is , Why does bad stuff happen at the end with just the whistle blowing? The black cat never walks past the dog but bad stuff still happens. I guess the whistle is the bad luck maker by itself now?

Offline Blystone

Ok, gotcha. I should have realized that, makes sense.

Or another question is , Why does bad stuff happen at the end with just the whistle blowing? The black cat never walks past the dog but bad stuff still happens. I guess the whistle is the bad luck maker by itself now?

I've always been fascinated by the use of magic in fantasy stories, so maybe I'm just the scholar (!??) to address this topic. In the Brothers Grimm tales, magic is often a two-edged sword, it's both good and bad. For example, in "The Fisherman and His Wife," the Magic Flounder's powers drive the wife crazy with greed and megalomania. The fisherman knows that he shouldn't ask the fish for too many favors, but once his wife gets started wishing, she can't stop; she gets addicted to it almost immediately. "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (not a Grimm story) has much the same theme: if you unleash these powers, you might not know just what it is you're unleashing.

"Bad Luck Blackie" works along the same lines. It doesn't matter where Blackie and his whistle come from— the fact that we aren't told makes the story more intriguing. The plot hangs on what the kitten is going to do with his new-found powers, and the last scene suggests that he might not necessarily use them for good purposes.

The best stories don't wrap everything up in a neat bundle at the end, they leave you wondering.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8rp5FeFMKSc&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8rp5FeFMKSc&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, but i thought this was based on the superstition that black cats are bad luck. So the black cat should be the the cause of the dogs mis-fortune , not the whistle. So then why at the end of the story is whistle by itself causing the bad luck?

xraffle

Someone who knows how to do it might have to split this topic off into a separate Tex Avery thread.

I can do it, but I'd rather leave that up to the moderators. Besides, there's too many on-topic discussions mixed in between, not to mention that one of Curly4444's post was a reply two posts, one on Looney Tunes and one on Tex Avery.

Offline Hammond Eggar

I've always been a fan of the Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam match-ups.  Here is my all-time favorite Looney Tunes cartoon.  It's From Hare to Heir (1960).

[youtube=425,350]EJf4levMDTI[/youtube]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)