Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For Stooges/Marx Fans in San Antonio Area

Linked Events

• PUNCH DRUNKS in San Antonio: August 10, 2010

Offline Hammond Eggar

For the past 10 years, each summer in San Antonio, Texas, the Texas Public Radio (TPR) has hosted the Cinema Tuesdays series.  The event takes place each Tuesday at a local movie theater, and includes screenings of classic films ranging from Metropolis and Shaneto Dr. Strangelove and The Godfather.  On August 10th, they will be screening the Marx Brothers classic Duck Soup.  As a Stooges fan, I am equally excited about the news that they will also be screening a 35mm print of 1934's Punch Drunks.  This summer the series is being held at the Bijou theater inside the Wonderland of the Americas shopping mall (formerly Crossroads).  The event begins at 7:30PM, and tickets are $10 for TPR members and $12 for non-members.  Below is a link to the official event website.  I hope to see all area Stooges/Marx Brothers fans there.

http://www.tpr.org/cinema/index.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:07:21 PM by BeAStooge »
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Well, tonight's the night.  I am so excited!  This will be my first time to see the Stooges in all their 35mm glory.  I have seen the Marx Brothers on the big-screen once before.  Several years ago, I attended a screening of Animal Crackers at the Bijou as part of TPR's Cinema Tuesdays series.  My dad and I took my nephew Ryan (now 15), who seemed to enjoy it.  Although Duck Soup is a definite classic, it's Punch Drunks which I really looking forward to seeing in a real theater setting.  I recall some comments from Richard Finegan regarding a Stooges film festival in Rhode Island earlier this year.  He talked about noticing when the audience would laugh during the different shorts.  I'm going to make sure to keep my ears open for that as well during Punch Drunks this evening.  Rich was among a large group of Stooges fans, where as I will be part of a mixed group of Stooges fans, Marx Brothers fans and general fans of classic cinema.  In a way, this will be more like a typical 1934 movie-going experience.  I'll let you know tomorrow how the screening went.  To all of you living in the San Antonio-area, I hope to see you there this evening.  It's definitely going to be a lot of fun. :laugh: 
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Hammond Eggar

I just returned from tonight's wonderful screenings.  The experience was everything I anticipated.  The Stooges and Marx Brothers played to a packed theater.  There were definitely some young people in attendance. For example, I sat next to a mother and her teenage daughter.  As for the films, I know they chose Punch Drunks primarily because it was from 1934, the same as Duck Soup.  While it's certainly enjoyable, it's not one of the funniest Stooges shorts. The boys had yet to perfect their pacing/timing and their on-screen personas were still developing.  They really hit their stride during the 1939-42 period.  At-any-rate, it was still a real thrill to see the Stooges on the big-screen, and larger-than-life.  As for what made people laugh, here's what I can tell you.

The audience was amused by Curly, when he first entered the restaurant.  They seemed to get a real kick from watching him toss his cane and jacket out the window.  They also laughed when Larry took off part of his hat, as well as the image of Curly's boss hanging from the ceiling fan.  The "tape worm" gag also received big laughs.  It was obvious to me that some in the audience had never seen Punch Drunks before.  When the radio stopped playing "Pop Goes the Weasel," some people responded with gasps or by saying, "Oh no!"  One who has seen the short before would not respond in surprise to this turn-of-events.  Another of the shorts big laughs came from Curly's "Hello Ma" routine.  The "I'm in a real dilemma" exchange also received descent laughter.  Overall, the short was well-received, with applause following.

Duck Soup was. . . well, Duck Soup.  What did the audience find funny from this Marx Brothers masterpiece?  The better question is, what didn't they find funny?  It was virtually non-stop laughter from start to finish.  Before the picture began, I was in the lobby talking with some representatives from Texas Public Radio, the evening's sponsors.  A younger 20-something was asking about possible Chaplin screenings in the future. The gentleman from TPR said there is talk about a winter version of the Cinema Tuesdays series.  He added that they may show some Chaplin at that time, including some shorts.  He noted that in past summers they have screened such Chaplin titles as City Lights, Modern Times and Limelight.  I also put in a request for some W.C. Fields, which I was told they have never screened.  Well, whatever they present, I hope they bring back the Stooges.  There's something so special and magical about watching our boys in grand 35mm.  With the exception of seeing Miramax's 1999 re-release of A Hard Day's Night, I don't think I've ever had a more satisfying theater experience than tonight's. ;D 

BTW, the photo below, featuring an essay on Duck Soup, was handed out at tonight's event.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hammond Eggar

BTW, here is a photo of a hand-out given to those in attendance at tonight's event.  It features an essay on Duck Soup

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rich Finegan