Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Looney Tunes(was: The Three Stooges on DVD Volumes 1 to 8)

Stooges#1 · 46 · 12206

Offline FineBari3

Something I would also love to see is/are complete episodes of the Bugs Bunny/Road runner show as seen on CBS in the 70's. I know they're out there...

YES! Those are the ones that I want.  I made tapes back in the 1990's, and some were edited for violence. TBS used to show them unedited.

I also have two laserdiscs that had only those that were run on the CBS Saturday morning shows. I remember that being on for three hours, is that right? From 9-12? I remember watching in the late 70's and early 80's with great fondness!

We even have home movies of my brother, in 1964, marching out with the characters like they did from the wings of the 'stage'....and they still ran that over 10 years later when I was a kid!  

"On with the show, this is iiiiiiit!"
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

I have THE GOLDEN COLLECTION VOL. 1, and it's the only cartoons I have in my entire collection.  I just watched volume 1 a few weeks ago and enjoyed it.

I don't want to go too overboard with cartoons or any other hobby in the future, so I'm going to pass in complaining about why all 1,000 cartoons (some of which I'm sure are not good), aren't available for now.  If I end up getting all six volumes and STILL feel the need for more, than I'll complain. 

Besides the other five volumes of Looney Tunes I don't have, do any of you more seasoned cartoon guys and gals have any other DVD sets to suggest?  I'm starting to feel as far as ancient comedy goes, cartoons are now the way to go, because it feels like everything I haven't seen live actor wise at this point is bottom of the barrel.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

The GOLDEN COLLECTION is the best i hear. There is a spotlight collection, but it doesn't have as many episodes and is filled with more crappy filler cartoons. They are coming out with indv sets of bugs and daffy in about 2 weeks. Don't have many episodes, but its cheap.

Offline metaldams

I apologize, I should've been more specific.

Any good NON-LOONEY TUNES cartoon DVD sets that any of you guys would highly recommend?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stooge1029

Thats funny the title of this board changed. It was kind of false advertising, you click on here to read about the complete release of The Three Stooges Volumes and see nothing but Looney Tunes talk. I had just gotten into the Gold Collection when this discussion started. I would love to see a chronological set of Bugs it would probably only take three volumes since the shorts are 5-10 minutes long.

Offline Blystone

Any good NON-LOONEY TUNES cartoon DVD sets that any of you guys would highly recommend?

Definitely the Max Fleischer Popeye cartoons, available complete in three 2-disc sets— excellent restoration, and lots of bonus documentary features. If you really want to go back into ancient history, you can get collections of the silent Felix The Cat and Mutt & Jeff cartoons. They're primitive, but also very entertaining because the animators make no bones about the fact that "it's only lines on paper, folks," to quote R. Crumb. If a character wants to slip himself under a door or walk straight up the side of a building, he just goes ahead and does it. This is the kind of animation that Walt Disney hated and tried to get away from, but there's really nothing wrong with it unless you have a compulsion to believe that cartoon characters ought to appear real (and he did).

Speaking of Disney, I've also got Volumes One and Two of "Mickey Mouse In Black and White" and the first three animated features: "Snow White", "Fantasia," and "Pinocchio." I stopped there, because after around 1940 Disney started to aim his pictures more directly at young kids, while the earlier ones can be enjoyed by anyone.

Something I bought as an experiment is a collection of Ub Iwerks cartoons. Iwerks was Disney's original partner and right-hand man who left the studio after a dispute with Walt (which happened a lot, because Walt's word was law around there and he tolerated no dissent). The Iwerks cartoons have had the reputation of not being very good, and... they aren't. Iwerks could certainly draw, but he didn't have much of an imagination and the cartoons show it.

There you have a few suggestions, but of course tastes in animation are very subjective. Someone else might recommend, say, the UPA cartoons, but I don't like their style at all. There are critics who say that UPA's "Rooty Toot Toot" is a classic, but I think it's about the worst mess of ugly "modern" visual design I've ever seen. I think it's on YouTube if you want to check it out; if your taste differs (a lot) from mine, you might like it.

Offline Stooges#1

Thats funny the title of this board changed. It was kind of false advertising, you click on here to read about the complete release of The Three Stooges Volumes and see nothing but Looney Tunes talk.

The thread has changed titles as you can see, but the actual topic that Peter started has been moved and only the posts responding to the topic were kept.

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=3668.0

Quote from: metaldams
I don't want to go too overboard with cartoons or any other hobby in the future, so I'm going to pass in complaining about why all 1,000 cartoons (some of which I'm sure are not good)

I don't know, I'm a bit of a completest so I'd love to own all 1,000+ even though I am sure I'll hate a great deal of them after 2-3 minutes like I do with a lot on the Golden Collections. They might be "Gold", but a lot of them are far from it. Who wants to see a bunch of Bosko or Buddy shorts? The 60s were a rough decade and a lot of them are represented too.

A little tibdit about the new sets, because of complaints about there being a lot of B&W shorts on the Golden Collections all of the shorts on the Super Stars sets will be colour. But don't worry, I don't mean they'll colourize the B&W shorts. Most of them will be 50s/60s shorts.

xraffle

Also, starting with Volume 3, you get that incredibly annoying "political correctness" spiel from Whoopie Goldberg, and you can't skip past it! At least you can mute the sound, but I would have preferred a button that lets you drop a boulder on her like Wile E. Coyote and then go right to the cartoons.

Quote from: xraffle
Volume 3 is the only Golden collection I bought. It’s been a while since I watched it, but I don’t recall not being able to skip the Whoopi Goldberg thing. I’ll check that out tonight when I get home. But I’m quite certain that it’s skippable.

I just checked and yes, you can skip it by pressing the "Menu" button on your remote.

xraffle

I recommend the Popeye sets, especially the first volume. I also would recommend the Tom & Jerry ones, but WB has screwed those up so badly, it makes me sick. They edited the cartoons and left out 2 of them. That's the reason I never bought them.

Offline falsealarms

I recommend the Popeye sets, especially the first volume. I also would recommend the Tom & Jerry ones, but WB has screwed those up so badly, it makes me sick. They edited the cartoons and left out 2 of them. That's the reason I never bought them.

I'll second volume 1 of the Fleischer Popeyes. I found it at a Big Lots last summer for $3 bucks. Great extras too.

Offline Curly4444

Just two? I thought there were more missing tom & Jerrys than that? The editing did suck, as the stuff they cut was the most funniest. If i could buy them  uncut, i wouldnt even care if i had to listen to somebody like whoopie give some PC crap.

Offline FineBari3

The thread has changed titles as you can see, but the actual topic that Peter started has been moved and only the posts responding to the topic were kept.

I was the person who split the topic. I split it right when it went off-topic of the original subject.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's funny the Popeye sets are mentioned.  My Dad very recently bought a $2 public domain Popeye DVD and I was watching it with him.  The restorations obviously were not the greatest (I told him he got what he paid for and I'm sure the proper sets are 1,000 X better), but what was funniest was how some of the cartoons from the 50's reused footage from the 30's, and we're talking re-used cartoons from the same DVD!

Stock footage was obviously an industry wide phenomenom by the 50's and not just Stooge shorts.  Not that I'm surprised or anything.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Blystone

There are cartoons, and then there are cartoons:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOH7ZCyonBg&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pOH7ZCyonBg&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1?rel=0</a>

Offline Curly4444

I have that one, its classic.  Tex Avary Was a friggin God!! They need to re-issue those screwball classics sets to dvd or blu-ray.

Whoah, Ive Been Sick!!

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I own volume 2 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.  It's a pretty good set, and I kind of want the rest.  I question their choice to cancel the sets and start releasing single discs.  Didn't seem very wise to me.

I'm a bigger fan of Disney's short subject animation, though, and own fifteen of the Walt Disney Treasures sets:  All of the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Silly Symphonies, Pluto, Goofy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and Rarities sets.  While these sets have released the vast majority of cartoon classics, for some reason the three Chip 'n Dale cartoons were skipped over.  Two of them were released on a Chip 'n Dale single disc, but the third is still in limbo.  I hope for another rarities set someday, with Chip 'n Dale, maybe more Alice and Oswald comedies (if they can find more), and the Goofy cartoons How to Ride a Horse (which was missing from the Goofy set but available on another that I don't own) and How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (which was made after the Goofy set was, and released with National Treasure:  Book of Secrets).

Offline Stooges#1

I own volume 2 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.  It's a pretty good set, and I kind of want the rest.  I question their choice to cancel the sets and start releasing single discs.  Didn't seem very wise to me.

I would've loved it if WHV continued releasing more than 6 Golden Collections. Now it seems as though they barely give a damn about the kind of product they're selling.

The first two Super Stars discs were an abomination with 20 of the 30 shorts in widescreen. The next two? Well, the Tweety & Sylvester list has come out and most (if not all) are double-dipped from the Golden Collections. The Foghorn Leghorn & Friends (why "& Friends"?, there are enough Foghorn's left over to fill an entire disc ::)) list has also come out and one of the cartoons on that (A Broken Leghorn) was released in the first Golden Collections.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Looney-Tunes-Super-Stars/14333

I didn't buy the first two discs and I wont buy the next two because I cant imagine WHV never producing a real successor series to the Golden Collection.

Offline Curly4444

I would've loved it if WHV continued releasing more than 6 Golden Collections. Now it seems as though they barely give a damn about the kind of product they're selling.

The first two Super Stars discs were an abomination with 20 of the 30 shorts in widescreen. The next two? Well, the Tweety & Sylvester list has come out and most (if not all) are double-dipped from the Golden Collections. The Foghorn Leghorn & Friends (why "& Friends"?, there are enough Foghorn's left over to fill an entire disc ::)) list has also come out and one of the cartoons on that (A Broken Leghorn) was released in the first Golden Collections.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Looney-Tunes-Super-Stars/14333

I didn't buy the first two discs and I wont buy the next two because I cant imagine WHV never producing a real successor series to the Golden Collection.

Yeah it sucks. I don't know why WHV didn't have all new ones on the tweety & Sylvester set, makes no sense. You can have a dvd that please the casual buyer & the looney tunes fanatic like us. At least the foghorn leghorn is almost all new. I definitely will buy that, as he wasn't represented that much on the golden collection.

It still might change though, as this is way too early. The bugs and daffy ones changed from the original list. Maybe after they hear enough people bitching, they'll delay it like the first set, and fix it.

Offline joray85

I'm happy to hear that, Peter.  [cool]

Multi-Region players are fantastic for these sorts of things as I live in Australia and these will never get released here.

With over 1000 Looney Tunes shorts chronological order would be so difficult to do, unlike the 190 Three Stooges shorts. I am not sure if you're aware of these collection(s), but you might consider the Golden Collections? They made 6 in total, all the shorts were restored and they're all unique so they haven't double dipped at all. There are 356 restored shorts in the main batch. I say main batch because there are also some shorts (probably over 20-30) that are a part of the bonus features that aren't restored.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=looney+tunes+golden+collection&x=0&y=0&ih=8_8_9_3_1_0_1_0_0_1.52_83&fsc=15

Warner Brothers have started a new Looney Tunes line called Super Stars, instead of 4 disc sets, like the Golden Collections, these will be 1 disc sets containing 15 shorts, I think they decided to cut back on the number of discs because of the economy. The first two (Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck) are due for release on August 10th. Apparently there'll be another two such sets (with different characters) out by the end of the year and four discs each year which is what the Golden Collections had and it averaged 60 shorts so we wont be losing anything. The best part is the Super Stars line will NOT be double dipping from the Golden Collections according to a lot of interviews (from Jerry Beck amongst others) about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Bugs-Bunny-Extraordinaire-Looney-Tunes/dp/B0033XKVEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279961559&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Daffy-Duck-Frustrated-Looney-Tunes/dp/B0033XKV96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279961559&sr=8-2

I highly recommend these if you don't already own them. You shouldn't wait for chronological sets as they're impractical to make for WB's.

Besides the Stooges hit their stride almost from the second short and the Looney Tunes didn't really start getting funny until the late 30s. Imagine having to wait over 300 shorts by the time the really good stuff started getting sold?  ;)

WRONG, doing all 1000 plus cartoons would be easy, release 60 per blu ray disc 50gb dual layer discs, that would be only 20 discs or so, then put all the non-short extras on seperate discs

Offline Stooges#1

Well, after waiting days to hear what WB had planned for the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-Ray, and hoping that it would *finally* be in chronological order they dash any hopes of that by announcing a heavily double-dipped collection. 50 shorts too, especially on Blu-Ray that is pathetic. What a missed opportunity to start a new line of LT on DVD the right way.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/looney-tunes-on-blu-ray-the-platinum-collection.html

Offline Curly4444

Its a little pricy too at $41.99, but maybe it will lower when it comes out. I pre-ordered lots of stuff on amazon and saw the price drop dramatically as the release date came. The episodes aren't in order, but the transfers are suppose to be mind blowing. I didnt see any new material, but maybe in the later volumes we will, once they get all the golden collection episodes out?