Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1920 - 1923, July 12

Linked Events

• Buster Keaton Shorts Coll DVD: July 12, 2011 - July 18, 2011

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Coming from Kino on July 12...

More Buster in Blu as Kino has announced the 3-disc Buster Keaton Shorts Collection (1920 - 1923) for release on July 12th in Standard DVD & Blu-Ray formats.

This marks the first time these shorts are available as a collection and it contains plenty of bonus features (below).

SYNOPSIS:
For the first time ever, Kino International proudly presents a box set of all of Buster Keaton’s classic silent short films in one collection. All films have been digital remastered in high definition and include all new extras.

DISC 1:

The High Sign (1920/21, 19 Min.)
One Week (1920, 24 Min.)
Convict 13 (1920, 19 Min.)
The Scarecrow (1920, 18 Min.)
Neighbors (1921, 19 Min.)
The Haunted House (1921, 20 Min.)
Hard Luck (1921, 21 Min.)

DISC 2:

The Goat (1921, 23 Min.)
The Play House (1921, 23 Min.)
The Boat (1921, 23 Min.)
The Paleface (1922, 20 Min.)
Cops (1922, 18 Min.)
My Wife’s Relations (1922, 17 Min.)

DISC 3:

The Blacksmith (1922, 21 Min.)
The Frozen North (1922, 17 Min.)
Day Dreams (1922, 19 Min.)
The Electric House (1922, 23 Min.)
The Balloonatic (1923, 22 Min.)
The Love Nest (1923,  20 Min.)

BONUS FEATURES:

- Fifteen visual essays, illustrated with clips and stills, written by various Keaton experts.
 - Four visual essays on the film’s locations by Silent Echoes author John Bengston
 - Eight page booklet with an essay by Jeffrey Vanc, author of Buster Keaton Remembered
 - The Men Who Would Be Buster, a collection of clips from slapstick films influenced by Keaton’s work
 - Character Studies (ca. 1925) a gag film starring Carter DeHaven, with cameos by Keaton, Harold Lloyd Fatty Arbuckle and others
 - Seeing Stars (excerpts) a 1922 promotional film featuring cameos by Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and others
 - A series of brief, alternate / deleted shots from The Goat, The Blacksmith and The Ballonatic

stevenfrank38

Offline FineBari3

Any idea on the price?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

Any idea on the price?

Amazon:

DVD list: 34.95, selling for 24.49 now

Blu List - 49.95, selling for 34.99 now

Offline metaldams

I already own the ART OF BUSTER KEATON set, but for you guys who don't own these films, this is a MUST have.  Probably the ideal place to start for new Keaton fans.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Amazon:

DVD list: 34.95, selling for 24.49 now

Wow, that's not bad at all.  Metal, speaking of the Art of Buster Keaton....now THAT's expensive! (Over $100). 

Damfino!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Wow, that's not bad at all.  Metal, speaking of the Art of Buster Keaton....now THAT's expensive! (Over $100).  

Damfino!

I think I bought my copy for $120 years ago.  I remember the retail value at the time was about $200, but I found a sale.  Again, this was years ago.  It was a purchase I've never regretted.  Conisdering the amount of films available and the quality of films, it actually seems like a better deal than buying this new set of releases if you want to own all the Buster silents.  You'd actually save money.

To people who aren't sure about Keaton but want to dip their toes in the water, start with this set of shorts coming out in July.  To those who absolutely know they want a lot of Keaton and can afford the occasional indulgence, I say go for THE ART OF BUSTER KEATON set.  Desert island stuff for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Hospitality-Navigator-Steamboat-Battling/dp/B00005QW5A/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1303571330&sr=1-1
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, since Boid Brain likes asking about female celebrities, my turn.  You see the girl on the cover of this Shorts Collection set with Buster?  What's her name, and then tell us who she married.  Hint: she married a person with a lot of power in Hollywood.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What's her name, and then tell us who she married.  Hint: she married a person with a lot of power in Hollywood.

And, descended from a person who once had power in Hollywood... she was the link between a declining power, the aforementioned [rising] power, and the creation of a major studio.

Offline Smaug

Could anyone provide a link? I can't find it at Amazon.
Yay Kino, by the way. The other four Ultimate Editions (The General, Our Hospitality, Steamboat Bill Jr., and Sherlock Jr./Three Ages were awesome).

Offline metaldams

By the way, since Boid Brain likes asking about female celebrities, my turn.  You see the girl on the cover of this Shorts Collection set with Buster?  What's her name, and then tell us who she married.  Hint: she married a person with a lot of power in Hollywood.

The name of the lady on the cover is Virginia Fox.  She was Buster Keaton's leading lady in a handful of his short films, and she went on to marry Darryl Zanuck, head of Fox studios during the golden age. 

As far as being descended from William Fox, it's possible.  I've heard some reports say she was, while others say it's false.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Offline falsealarms

More praise, this time by blu-ray.com.

The reviewer wrote, "This is definitely going to be one of my top candidates for Blu-ray release of the year."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Buster-Keaton-Short-Films-Collection-Blu-ray/23434/#Review

Offline QuinceHead

I picked up a copy of this in Blu-Ray last week from Newbury Comics, on sale for $29.99, using a gift card I had!   :laugh:

Haven't cracked this one open yet, but give me time...

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead