Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What were the original films that played the Three Stooges shorts?

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
I was on Wikipedia and I came across the articles for Spooks and Pardon My Backfire, which were paired up with the westerns Fort Ti and the Stranger Wore a Gun, respectively.

It sparked up an old curiosity of mine as to what films the Three Stooges originally had their first runs with.  I remember hearing that they were paired up with a lot of B-pictures to increase ticket sales on Columbia's lesser effort.  Any concrete info on which films ran with which short?

Offline archiezappa

I've often wondered that, myself.  What originally played with The Three Stooges in their original theatrical presentation offers a lot of curiosity to me.  It would be good to know, so that we could, in theory, replicate the original theatrical presentation in our living rooms.  I also wondered if their shorts ran with some of the feature films they appeared in.  Like, if "Men In Black" played with "The Captain Hates The Sea," for instance.  I don't know if those two films played together, but it would make sense to me if they did.

Offline Blystone

Once, somewhere, I saw a picture of a theater marquee taken in the 30's or 40's, where the Stooges got top billing over the Bette Davis feature! I wish I could find it again to post here, but I wouldn't know where to look. If Bette Davis had seen that, she probably would have had a heart attack.

[faint2]

Of course, back then there were a lot of people who'd buy a ticket just to see the comedy shorts, the cartoons, and the newsreels, and not stay for the feature. So the billing isn't that surprising.

Offline metaldams

Once, somewhere, I saw a picture of a theater marquee taken in the 30's or 40's, where the Stooges got top billing over the Bette Davis feature!

A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is much funnier than NOW, VOYAGER.  There, I said it!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Hammond Eggar

This is a 1934 photo of the Spreckels Theater in San Diego.  The marquee proves that a Stooges short was, indeed, screened alongside a Stooge-related feature, in this case Captain Hates the Sea.  I wonder which short was screened? ???
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It might have been Men in Black, which was released less than a month before The Captain Hates the Sea.  That's just my guess, though.

Offline Blystone

A PLUMBING WE WILL GO is much funnier than NOW, VOYAGER.  There, I said it!

True, but no Stooges short ever had one of those lush, sweeping musical scores by Max Steiner. Harry Cohn was too cheap to hire him, I guess...

[shrug]

Offline Hammond Eggar

Here's what I'm wondering now.  Were the Stooges shorts only run alongside Columbia features, or were they paired up with films from other companies, too?
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline archiezappa

I don't think they were coupled with features from other studios.  Columbia relied on The Three Stooges being paired with their B-Movies.  And I read something about the whole "block booking" thing going on with theatres back then.  Not sure what all that entails.