Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Metropolis (1927) in Theaters, Summer 2010

Offline Hammond Eggar

Since many of you are huge fans of early cinema, I wanted to pass along the wonderful news that the classic 1927 sci-fi silent film Metropolis is being reissued to theaters this summer (2010).  The film has been restored with 25 minutes of footage previously lost.  Below is the official trailer for the reissue, plus a link to the official site.  Hope you all get a chance to see this masterpiece on the big screen.

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

[youtube=425,350]ZSExdX0tds4[/youtube]
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

Funny, I just watched the other big special FX German masterpiece today, FAUST.

Yeah, I heard about this, they're always finding new METROPOLIS footage.  ;D  Anybody interested in sci-fi or silent films should definitely check this out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Wow, I might need to check this out. It's playing for 2 days near me a few months down the road. I've never been much for silents, though I've softened up on that stance lately. Not often that you can go see a silent movie in theaters nowadays.

Offline metaldams

Wow, I might need to check this out. It's playing for 2 days near me a few months down the road. I've never been much for silents, though I've softened up on that stance lately. Not often that you can go see a silent movie in theaters nowadays.

The only silent I've ever seen in a theater was MARK OF ZORRO with Douglas Fairbanks.  I need to get around to seeing more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

I remember watching this film as a teenager in the 1980's in a Science Fiction class in high school. Of course, it was the version with the soundtrack by Queen and others I can't remember. I love art deco, and this film is awash with it! 

I also recall them having to explain that there was footage missing from the film and wondered if they would ever find it. I am very happy that they did, and also have the complete original score!

I wound up studying this film in college in a German cinema class and learned to appreciate it more. There is a lot of imagery that has become part of popular culture, especially the robot woman.  Hell, Madonna did a whole video that looked like the factory!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Blystone

Oy vey, I already own the most recent DVD release! Is it really worth laying out major bucks for 25 minutes of lost footage in a movie that I only watch once or twice a year, at most? I'm still debating this, but I'll probably pass on the latest version. I'll go see it in a theater, but that's all.

This begs the question of how many times the consumer is going to be asked to buy what's basically the same material over and over again. Sony/Columbia has probably gone the limit with about half a dozen "new" CD versions of the Miles Davis album "Kind Of Blue" (so far). It seems like every time they find another two inches of "lost" tape in their vaults, it's an occasion for another reissue.

Note to movie and record companies: most people have to live on budgets.

::)

Offline Hammond Eggar

There is a lot of imagery that has become part of popular culture, especially the robot woman.  Hell, Madonna did a whole video that looked like the factory!

Not only did Madonna pay tribute to Metropolis in one of her music videos, but so did Queen, in the video for "Radio Ga Ga" (1984).
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline metaldams

Oy vey, I already own the most recent DVD release! Is it really worth laying out major bucks for 25 minutes of lost footage in a movie that I only watch once or twice a year, at most? I'm still debating this, but I'll probably pass on the latest version. I'll go see it in a theater, but that's all.

This begs the question of how many times the consumer is going to be asked to buy what's basically the same material over and over again. Sony/Columbia has probably gone the limit with about half a dozen "new" CD versions of the Miles Davis album "Kind Of Blue" (so far). It seems like every time they find another two inches of "lost" tape in their vaults, it's an occasion for another reissue.

::)

With music CD's, I know exactly what you're talking about.  Trust me, it's not only major works like KIND OF BLUE getting the deluxe treatment, there are also things like Whitesnake's SLIP OF THE TONGUE that have "deluxe editions."  The problem is, most of these things aren't worth it.  I'm a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, and these altrernative takes lying around on the deluxe edietions, which I fortunately heard for free, are barely worth hearing more than once.  If a big fan like me doesn't care about this stuff, who does?  All this deluxe edition stuff is simply a dying music industry trying to make its last buck.  The only deluxe edition that I can think of that is better than the original is LIVE AT LEEDS from The Who.  Period.

But Metropolis?  Nah, this is different.  80% of all silent films are lost, so if new footage is genuinely being found, I feel they should make it as complete as possible.  It's not like this footage has been around for 30 years and some greedy company is finally releasing it.  This is stuff that has just been discovered and originally part of Fritz Lang's vision.  Very different than that take of "So What" that's played five beats a minute faster with an alternate trumpet solo that Miles didn't want anyone to hear.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

They re-release things because they believe they have a reasonable expectation that someone will be interested in buying it.  It's not like they even have to produce a large inventory these days, as they can pretty much just produce on demand, so why shouldn't they offer new releases?  You don't have to buy it if you don't think it's worth it, but that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't have the opportunity to make their own choices. 

Most of us have to live on a budget, but everyone's priorities are different.  I've been putting off buying Metropolis on DVD so far because I have it on VHS and I only watch it once every two or three years - if that, but I will probably get myself a copy when this comes out.  It will be worth it to me to get the movie in its original form, especially if they've got the original score as well, even if I have to put off buying something else for a while.

Offline Blystone

I'm not saying that Kino shouldn't issue this DVD, the historical value of the find is beyond question. However, it would be nice if, say, they offered it at a discount to anyone who could provide proof of purchase for the previous version. You see my point? That is, paying full price for an extra 25 minutes of film seems a bit much. Of course, this will never happen.

Also, I'm resisting Blu-Ray. Every few years these media platforms change, and then you have to start rebuilding your movie and music libraries all over again if you want to keep up. I still have my VHS tape collection, mainly because nobody wants it! I offered to donate it to the public library, but they weren't interested. It includes (no surprise) practically every one of the Stooges tapes, among other things. So a good deal of money was spent there.

Maybe time is passing me by... consarn it, you young whippersnappers, I can't even get steel needles for the Victrola any more!

[oldman]

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Yeah, I've been resisting Blu-Ray so far, too, since I don't have an HDTV yet.  There's nothing wrong with my old school 34" set, so I haven't been in a rush to replace it.  I squirrel away what I can, and when I can afford it I will get one, but I'm not in a hurry.  I have also heard that many (most?) Blu-Ray players can upscale your DVDs so they will still look better on an HDTV, so I'm not too worried about replacing my current collection when I do finally upgrade.

Offline falsealarms

This played in my neck of the woods recently... and for me, it was a complete flop. I never got into it at all and walked out about an hour in. It just didn't do anything for me. I think the novelty of seeing a silent movie in a theater with a live organ was a lot of the reason why I went, but that novelty wore off quick. The restoration trailer at least made the film look enticing enough, but man, what a flop.

I've recently warmed up to silent films after shying away from them completely, but the lesson tonight was: I better stick to silent comedy. CITY LIGHTS was good, the near-silent MODERN TIMES was good, POOL SHARKS was good, some clips of Lloyd have been very promising.... but this just couldn't have missed the mark with me more than it did.

Offline metaldams

This played in my neck of the woods recently... and for me, it was a complete flop. I never got into it at all and walked out about an hour in. It just didn't do anything for me. I think the novelty of seeing a silent movie in a theater with a live organ was a lot of the reason why I went, but that novelty wore off quick. The restoration trailer at least made the film look enticing enough, but man, what a flop.

I've recently warmed up to silent films after shying away from them completely, but the lesson tonight was: I better stick to silent comedy. CITY LIGHTS was good, the near-silent MODERN TIMES was good, some clips of Lloyd have been very promising.... but this just couldn't have missed the mark with me more than it did.

Hmmmm, I love METROPOLIS, but to each their own, I guess.

Perhaps you should try an American silent drama.  I would suggest THE UNKNOWN with Lon Chaney (and a very young Joan Crawford).  It's only 50 minutes, has one of the great silent actors starring in it, has an awesome story, and is pretty much THE silent film I suggest to silent film virgins that's not a comedy.  Give it a shot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ArPharazon

Never seen it, but I've heard a lot about it.
The upcoming release has me thinking about finally getting a Blu-Ray player.