General Boards > Questions and Answers

Which Three Stooges short have you watched the least amount of times?

<< < (3/7) > >>

BeAStooge:

--- Quote from: QuinceHead on June 24, 2010, 10:18:06 AM ---Aren't some of the shorts censored nowadays too for political correctness, especially the racial/blackface bits?

--- End quote ---

The only time Columbia issued edited prints for syndication was in 1958, when a few "not suitable for children" cuts were made, e.g., the kissing lesson in MOVIE MANIACS (1936) and the grain alcohol scene in A BIRD IN THE HEAD (1946). These prints remained in general TV circulation into the early '70s.

Since the mid-1970s, Columbia (and Sony) has not censored, cut, or withheld any of the shorts for political correctness.

Any censorship you may have seen was done by, and at the discretion of, the broadcaster, i.e., local station(s), Family Channel, etc.

archiezappa:
For me, it's "The Three Troubledoers" and "Outer Space Jitters."  When I got the new DVD sets, I had never seen either of those.  I was surprised to know that I had seen every Shemp episode.  I have now seen "Troubledoers" 3 or 4 times.  I've only seen "Outer Space Jitters" once.  I'll probably watch it again, though.

QuinceHead:

--- Quote from: BeAStooge on June 24, 2010, 01:49:28 PM ---The only time Columbia issued edited prints for syndication was in 1958, when a few "not suitable for children" cuts were made, e.g., the kissing lesson in MOVIE MANIACS (1936) and the grain alcohol scene in A BIRD IN THE HEAD (1946). These prints remained in general TV circulation into the early '70s.

Since the mid-1970s, Columbia (and Sony) has not censored, cut, or withheld any of the shorts for political correctness.

Any censorship you may have seen was done by, and at the discretion of, the broadcaster, i.e., local station(s), Family Channel, etc.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad to hear that Columbia / Sony does not believe in censorship due to prejudices / mores of the times with regards to the Stooges!

But I'm not surprised to "hear" that broadcasters disagree with this view.

For instance, I've seen shorts (not recently, mind!) where things like blackface gags (and the black baby punchline in Uncivil Warriors) are edited out.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

bindu:

--- Quote from: Rich Finegan on June 23, 2010, 03:02:09 PM ---During what years were you watching The Stooges on WSBK, Channel 38, Boston?
My least-viewed Stooges shorts are still those that Ch. 38 was missing in the 1970's. By the time they finally upgraded their film package in 1977 and acquired all the missing titles and nice new prints of the many damaged ones, I had seen most of the shorts numerous times, but some not at all on Ch. 38.
Back to the Woods
From Nurse to Worse
All the World's a Stooge
They Stooge to Conga
Busy Buddies
Uncicvil War Birds
The Ghost Talks
Rip, Sew and Stitch

--- End quote ---

Hi, folks.  My first post.  Didn't really want to join another web forum (they kill a lot of time!), but as a longstanding Stoogemaniac who has been browsing this site for several months now, I finally gave in when I read this thread.

I too was a Stooge-viewer in the Boston area from the early 70s on.  I also recall that there were some "missing" shorts in the early days.  I don't think it was until 1980 that I finally saw:
Back to the Woods
From Nurse to Worse
Busy Buddies
Uncivil Warbirds
Fright Night
and probably Rip Sew & Stitch as well.

Stone Age Romeos and Guns-A-Poppin were also late to be checked off my list.
I think I saw Triple-Crossed for the 1st time in 1979, and A Plumbing We Will Go in 1978.
But I'm quite sure that the last two "new" Stooges episodes for me were A Snitch in Time and Blunder Boys.  If WSBK had these films in the days of my youth, I somehow missed ever seeing them.  I finally got VHS copies from a fellow fan sometime in the late 1980s. (And what a pair of films!)

So if the lead-off question was meant in the sense of "What are the films you have seen least because they were unavailable for viewing?" then those would be them!

But if it means, which films would you purposely avoid?.....hmmm.... For starters (literally) I have to agree with the earlier poster who singled out Woman Haters. To me it's a failed "pilot" - it has its moments, but ultimately, it turned out to be a dead end for them. (I much prefer their later misogynistic outing with Shemp, Gypped in the Penthouse.)

In general, though there are many memorable gags and lines, the early Curlys don't interest me as much as, say, those from 1939 to 1945.  Restless Knights is another one I'd take a pass on.  The wrestling scene and the drawn out "clubbing" scene at the end are snoozers for me.  A Pain in the Pullman gets to be a pain with the ongoing JOHNSON! bit.

Of the middle Curlys, I think the two "dog films" - Mutts to You and Calling All Curs - are rather weak.
Of the late Curlys, I really don't enjoy The 3 Troubledoers.  Curly just seems pathetic in this one, and by the same token, his romantic subplot with Christine M. is kind of sad.

Shemp being my fave, I can't complain much about the films of his tenure, though I'm not a big Western fan, so things like Punchy Cowpunchers and Merry Mavericks place low on my list.

As for the much-maligned Joe era, I guess it's their relative scarceness that keeps me watching even the sappiest ones!  (I think the space films are especially good.)  But Muscle Up a Little Closer is pretty much a stinker, except for the middle part in the warehouse.  Then there's the short everyone loves to hate: Sweet & Hot - although I think it's worth watching for Moe's psychiatrist shtick alone.  And finally, I'd say that once Greta Thyssen gets all her clothes back on in Sappy Bullfighters, things go downhill fast!

Hammond Eggar:
I'd have to say it's "A Merry Mix-up," since I've NEVER seen the short.  I became a loyal and diehard Stooges fan back in the 1980s, thanks in-part to WTBS (now just TBS) and KRRT here in San Antonio, Texas.  I was taping the shorts and trying to build a complete collection with all 190 titles.  I know I had, roughly, 90-95% of the shorts produced.  "A Merry Mix-Up" was one of the few I never saw or taped.  I'm still a bit behind on the DVDs.  I'm only up to Volume 6 right now.  As such, I know I've never seen "A Merry Mix-Up" ever, and look forward to correcting that soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version