Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Interview With Greta Thyssen

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Bud_Jamison

Thanks for posting that, a good read.  She does not know of the honor it was to work with the boys it seems!! :D :D

Offline metaldams

Thanks for posting that, a good read.  She does not know of the honor it was to work with the boys it seems!! :D :D

I was thinking about this the other day, especially while watching the Besser shorts.  I'm sure to some of these actors, a job with the Stooges was either a stepping stone to "prestige" pictures or beneath them. 

I'm sure the comedy troopers like Vernon Dent, Bud Jamison, Emil Sitka, etc. had fond memories and were proud of their work, but for others, I'm sure it was just a paycheck.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bud_Jamison

Metal,

I think you are correct.  It really would have been great if Bud and Vernon had lived long enough to be paid the respect and shown the love for their work with the boys.  I really like those guys almost as much as any of the stooges.

I did get a chance to speak with Emil Sitka just before he passed away and he seemed happy to be remembered.  I have posted it here...

I call it an interview, but it really is not.  I wish I could have visited him in person but it was not possible at the time.  As I say in the phone call, we really had a theatre lined up and 16mm shorts ready to go but he was not able.  Some youtube users have said I was bothering him but I discount this, the chuckle in his laugh when he asks how long he would be gone tells me that I was not bothering him and made him smile.  I did send a letter and received an autograph.

Now that my grandmother is in a home like he was at the time, It really was silly to think he would fly to Chicago...  But if he did, he would have met a standing ovation!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Now that my grandmother is in a home like he was at the time

Emil lived in a seniors' condo/apartment community.

Offline Bud_Jamison

I thought he was in an assisted living arraignment.  Thanks for the clarification!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm sure to some of these actors, a job with the Stooges was either a stepping stone to "prestige" pictures or beneath them. 

I'm sure the comedy troopers like Vernon Dent, Bud Jamison, Emil Sitka, etc. had fond memories and were proud of their work, but for others, I'm sure it was just a paycheck.

On another site, someone made a back-handed insult to Greta about the interview. Surprising to me, because he knows better, having met many costars over the past 20+ years. My response to him, to keep things in perspective...

Between the Conventions, Fan Club Meetings, interviews and passing meetings, we've met many costars in similar contexts. Whether their work with the Stooges was just a job at the time, and/or the years had dimmed memories, they had little to share and/recall. Regardless, they were wonderful guests, very nice people, and extremely honored and appreciative of the fans' attention.

Ethelreda Leopold and Lucille Lund were in that category. I can't think of two, more sweet guests at the Convention, but their times at the Q&As were short, and filled with apologies for vague memories.

I met Greta Thyssen twice, several years ago. A very nice lady, who simply doesn't recall much about [cumulative 3 films] 5 days' work from over 50 years ago.

Other than that, I enjoyed the attention that this interview, circulating this weekend in several NJ and Eastern PA newspapers, is giving the Three Stooges.  Today's Newark Star-Ledger also includes, as a co-story with Greta's interview, a favorable review of the Vol. 8 DVD set. That type of exposure generates DVD sales, and potential for more Stooge releases (features and solo shorts) from Sony.

Offline metaldams

On another site, someone made a back-handed insult to Greta about the interview. Surprising to me, because he knows better, having met many costars over the past 20+ years. My response to him, to keep things in perspective...

I hope it wasn't taken that I was trying to insult Greta Thyssen or anybody else who may have not viewed their work with the Three Stooges as a big deal.  I was just making the observation that to several of these actors and actresses, especially during the later years when two reelers were dying, this was simply a job to them and not what they'd consider the highlight of their lives.  In other words, us obssessive fans view these things with more importance than they do, which is fine.

People like Vernon Dent, on the other hand, were doing two-reelers for decades and I'd like to think they perhaps viewed their work with a little more passion.
- Doug Sarnecky