Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

W.C. Fields in Tales of Manhattan

Seamus · 8 · 2842

Offline Seamus

Here's a little slice of late-period Fields that some fans may not have seen.  It's a truncated clip from a 1942 movie called Tales of Manhattan.  The movie has an anthology-like structure, being comprised of a collection of segments that each showcase a different then-famous actor.  The connecting thread follows a tailcoat as it's passed from owner to owner.

The Fields segment was written, filmed, and even included in the film's preview.  However, Fields' segment was so much better received than the others that (allegedly) some of the other actors' agents complained of having their clients overshadowed by the outstanding vaudevillian!  So the Fields segment was removed from the picture entirely.  Efforts were made to buy it from the studio (Fox) to recast it as a two-reeler, to no success.  So the footage remained in Fox's vault for decades.

Not only is the segment a riot in its own right, it demonstrates how brilliant Fields was even at the twilight of his career.  By this stage he was done headlining in his own pictures, and apparently was so soused that he needed a couple of men to position him in front of the camera.  But once they got out of the way and the cameras were rolling, he'd wake up and transform into an ad-libbing comedy machine. 

Marx Brothers fans might see someone they recognize in part two.

So without further adieu:

W.C. Fields in Tales of Manhattan - Part One

W.C. Fields in Tales of Manhattan - Part Two

Offline metaldams

Awesome! I'll definitely check this out tonight, as I've never seen this.  Thanks.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

20th Century-Fox reportedly has several different takes of these clips in their vaults and someone had the difficult job of selecting just one for the restoration. As Fields fans can be sure, no two takes were alike!

Also, Laurel & Hardy fans may recognize the hidden bar set. It was reused in the 20th Century-Fox Laurel & Hardy movie THE DANCING MASTERS (1943).

Offline Seamus

Yeah, it couldn't have been an easy job selecting an "official" take for the restoration.  The story is that Fields couldn't remember (or couldn't be bothered to learn) his lines, and the scene was set up such that idiot boards weren't a viable option.  So he fell back to doing what he does best and ad-libbed his way through the takes, never the same way twice.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Excellent!  Thanks for the heads up, Seamus; I've grabbed both clips so I can watch them later.  (I know how these things can disappear if you're not quick enough.)

I've seen Tales of Manhattan two or three times, and I was surprised to read that Fields had done a segment, since I couldn't recall seeing it, but then I read your comment about the segment getting removed from the film.  That's a shame - especially since I don't think Eddie G. or the others had any reason to doubt their own performances - but I'm glad that it is finally seeing the light of day.  I'm looking forward to watching it.

Offline Rich Finegan

These clips have been put back into the print that is shown on The Fox Movie Channel for the past few years.
They show the movie a few times a year, so it should not be too hard to see it there, and in much better quality than that YouTube version.
(Unless, of course, one doesn't get The Fox Movie Channel!)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
It's been a few years since I last remember seeing it, and I think that was on TCM.  I will have to keep an eye on FMC (fortunately, the two channels are side-by-side on my DISH guide) and make sure that I catch it next time it comes on there.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
These clips have been put back into the print that is shown on The Fox Movie Channel for the past few years.
They show the movie a few times a year, so it should not be too hard to see it there, and in much better quality than that YouTube version.
(Unless, of course, one doesn't get The Fox Movie Channel!)

Fields' restored scenes are also in the 1996 VHS release.