Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Curly's 1945 stroke

MR77100 · 16 · 9055

Offline MR77100

Does anyone know when Curly had his stroke in 1945, which resulted in his declining health for the rest of his career? My guess would be between IDIOTS DELUXE and IF A BODY MEETS A BODY, since his voice tone and energy level seem like night and day. Supposedly Curly's voice did begin to deepen in THE YOKE'S ON ME and IDLE ROOMERS, but 1945 seems to be the cut-off point for Jerome's noticeable decline.

Offline metaldams

IF A BODY MEETS A BODY is definitely the start of the sick era, in my opinion, he was much worse in that short than any previous short.  That said, I would go back all the way to PHONY EXPRESS when you could slowly see the signs of Curly aging, though it wasn't that noticeable at that point unless if you were looking for it.  DIZZY PILOTS is the last short to me with the early 40's energy level Curly, though he had some good performances after that.

I wonder if DIZZY PILOTS/PHONY EXPRESS and IDIOTS DELUXE/IF A BODY MEETS A BODY were the beginning and end of shooting seasons for the boys?  It wouldn't surprise me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I agree about IF A BODY MEETS A BODY. There's a big difference in Curly between that short and the one before it, IDIOTS DELUXE.

Offline healyhouston

The newspapers of the time did not tell that Curly had a stroke.  They said Shemp replaced Curly who has been ailing since the time he fell down an elevator shaft during the the filming of one of the shorts.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=uQhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ElUDAAAAIBAJ&dq=shemp&pg=3585%2C6284382

Offline Shemp

Wow, that article was a great find!  First time I've read that info about him ailing after the elevator shaft fall.  That fall may have indeed precipitated one of his strokes, or accelerated his decline.  If I remember correctly, he had badly cut his head in that same fall and needed stitches. Then they just glued on a bunch of hair to that spot to cover the stitches. It's really obvious when you look for it.  Can't remember the episode name, but they are in a hat shop right after his fall. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Wow, that article was a great find!  First time I've read that info about him ailing after the elevator shaft fall. 

A publicity story.  It's not true.

That fall may have indeed precipitated one of his strokes, or accelerated his decline.  If I remember correctly, he had badly cut his head in that same fall and needed stitches. Then they just glued on a bunch of hair to that spot to cover the stitches. It's really obvious when you look for it.  Can't remember the episode name, but they are in a hat shop right after his fall.

The "story" you're remembering is from 3 DUMB CLUCKS (1937).  He didn't fall down an elevator shaft.  He jumped down the few feet of a soundstage's fake elevator shaft, onto a mattress, and cut his head on an exposed 2 x 4.

Offline Shemp

Great response, thanks!!   I remember the head stitches incident the same as you, but just assumed I must have remembered wrong when I read that article, which I evidently gave way too much credibility to!

Offline Shemp

I have read now in two different places where it has been reported that in an Ed Bernds interview, Ed stated that Curly's decline in health was due to his strokes and due to the fact that he contracted syphilis.  In one place it said an Ed Bernds interview, and in the other it said an interview with Ed Bernds and Jules White.  These were just posts at the bottom of a Three Stooges article, not a published account Per Se. 

I have tried very hard to verify this information or to find the interview tape or transcript and have been successful in none of those.  Does anyone have more information regarding this?  Was this actually ever stated by Ed Bernds and is there any evidence that it may have been true?  Curly is widely reported to have been a womanizer, so it is within the realm of possibility. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have tried very hard to verify this information or to find the interview tape or transcript and have been successful in none of those. 

It's not true.  And neither Ed Bernds or Jules White ever said that.

Offline Bum

I swear, the Stooges must own the comedy team record for most false rumors/ misinformation. To name a few.....

"Moe died penniless"

"Larry died penniless"

"Curly died penniless"

"Moe Larry and Curly were all brothers"

"[insert name here] was originally going to replace Curly"

"[insert name here] was originally going to replace Shemp"

"Joe Besser left the Stooges because [insert reason here]"

And now........ V.D. !

Offline Shemp

To be fair, I didn't proclaim that he had V.D.  I stated that I read that twice and I was unable to verify it. 

As for Larry dying penniless being a myth, I guess it's beyond the scope of this thread, but the author of his biography indicated that was the case, for whatever it's worth.  As with my other post, I'm not proclaiming this to be true, I'm just sharing information. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/hey-porcupine-author-steve-cox-celebrates-the-frizzy-haired-stooge-larry-fine

"Moe probably made the most with some really wise investments. His family did even better, however I won’t get into that topic. The other Stooges really never made out as well, Larry included. He was nearly broke when he entered the Motion Picture Country Home.

He had just a few hundred dollars in his bank account. True. I saw the statements. It’s been said he gambled his money away, but he was a small time gambler; he loved the races, golf, football, baseball, boxing, and other sports in general. Nothing like say, Lou Costello’s sobering trips to the track.

But Larry gave away and piddled much of his fortune. He and Mabel rented a home most of their life, with maid service, etc. They took trips, he bought furs, and it was somewhat of an extravagant life for his income. There wasn’t much left when he retired."

ThumpTheShoes

V.D.?

Well, there was that one story about the wart mentioned in the Curly biography. It is, perhaps, the most awkward and distasteful anecdote ever offered about a Stooge.

Offline Larrys#1

and due to the fact that he contracted syphilis

Never heard of that. Sounds like some false rumor.

Offline archiezappa

I thought his illness was an allergic reaction to vaccinations he received, so he could go on tour with the U.S.O. in the 1940's.  I read something similar to that in the book "Stroke Of Luck."

Offline healyhouston

V.D.?

Well, there was that one story about the wart mentioned in the Curly biography. It is, perhaps, the most awkward and distasteful anecdote ever offered about a Stooge.

That was in the Curly bio by joan.  Elaine said he had to get a wart removed from his penis before their wedding

Offline Larrys#1

I own that book, but never read the whole thing. I am going to look this up.....