The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Possibly the most beautiful piece of music ever

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Canon in D Major, composed by Johann Pachelbel (1653 - 1706), is quite possibly the most beautiful piece of music that I have ever heard in my life.  I wish I knew who performed the piece in the video below.  Even if classical music isn't your thing, give this one a try.

[youtube=425,350]stCKjZniMsQ[/youtube]

(By the way, the person who made the video incorrectly identified it as being written by Johann Sebastian Bach, in case you are wondering why Bach's name and image appears in the video.)

Offline metaldams

Thanks Rob!  That is a beautiful piece, no doubt.  My Mom has a less beautiful midi version of that as one of her ringtones.

My problem with classical music is I don't know where to begin.  With rock, for example, if I want to hear, say, Sgt. Pepper, I at least know to by The Beatles version.  With classical, sadly, there was no recording equipment back then, and if I want to hear a piece, there are thousands of different recordings of one movement.  Does anybody have any advice on where to begin?

The only classical in my collection (baroque period, actually), are some Bach violin pieces recorded in the mid thirties, which make the oldest recordings in my collection.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
My problem with classical music is I don't know where to begin.  With rock, for example, if I want to hear, say, Sgt. Pepper, I at least know to by The Beatles version.  With classical, sadly, there was no recording equipment back then, and if I want to hear a piece, there are thousands of different recordings of one movement.  Does anybody have any advice on where to begin?

I hadn't really thought about that aspect before, but I see what you mean.  There are a number of versions of the Canon on Youtube, and I finally posted this one (even though it was mislabeled) because I thought it was the best performance out of all of the ones that I watched.  I just wish I knew who it was so I could look for more performances by them.

Offline OldFred

I love classical music too, and it's true, unlike rock or pop recordings, it's hard to find a specific piece that's really worth having in your collection to listen to. There are so many good ones. The best thing to do is sample different recordings and choose the music that you enjoy the most.

And remember, if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.  :D

Offline Curly4444

Offline bindu

Speaking as a longtime Classical music fan, I think a newcomer is going to find little difference to note (pun!) between, say, one recording of Beethoven's 6th Symphony and another.  I mean, yeah, if you study it long enough, you find some variations in tempo between conductors, and the way the players phrase on their instruments - or even the instruments themselves, because some ensembles will only use "period instruments" (meaning ones that actually date back to the centuries when Beethoven, Bach and others were composing).  

But again, for someone just starting out, there won't be much difference at first.  I've been listening to Classical for 30-some years and I don't pay that much attention myself.  I concentrate more on the overall sonic qualities of a record.  Probably more important to you at first will be deciding which Classical style you like best - Baroque, Romantic, Modern, Medieval, etc.  And hopefully, you'll grow to like pieces from all of them.

Offline FineBari3

But again, for someone just starting out, there won't be much difference at first.  I've been listening to Classical for 30-some years and I don't pay that much attention myself.  I concentrate more on the overall sonic qualities of a record.  Probably more important to you at first will be deciding which Classical style you like best - Baroque, Romantic, Modern, Medieval, etc.  And hopefully, you'll grow to like pieces from all of them.

Metaldams:  I enjoy LOUD classical music, and I bet you would too!  Dvorak, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky...all from the Romantic period. The period after that, the 20th Century, you may enjoy as well. Lots of dissonant music, with Stravinsky and Prokofiev.  Being a musician helps one appreciate it even more; kind of like watching golf on TV and not getting it until one plays the game!

When you have been listening to Classical music for as long as bindu has, you find other things to pay attention to!  Do you play an instrument, bindu?  I am a classically trained percussionist (re: drummer that reads music) and also play baritone bugle in a drum corps.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline bindu

Do you play an instrument, bindu?  I am a classically trained percussionist (re: drummer that reads music) and also play baritone bugle in a drum corps.

Actually, I'm a guitarist by trade, but have been a Classical fan for ages and have written music for classical instruments.
I'm a big Edgar Varese fan - maybe as a percussionist you've done some of his pieces?

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys.

Bindu, one thing you got to understand about me is that I'm a total audiophile geek.  For 60's rock recordings, I make a big deal over the whole mono vs. stereo thing and really do pay attention to small details.  I'm also an electric bass player, so while I'm no classical musician, I still notice things like phrasing, dynamics, tempo, etc.  Perhaps I should just let these go at first and notice them if I ever get deeper into classical.

Mar-Jean:  I actually do have a recording of Swan Lake because I love it from the Universal Horror pics it opens.  Perhaps Tchaikovsky is a good route to go.  I've also heard some of the metal I like to be described as "Wagnerian," so perhaps Wagner may be a good choice too. 

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sometimes, I get in the mood for opera...

[youtube=425,350]RsvYCid26Vk[/youtube]

Offline FineBari3

Actually, I'm a guitarist by trade, but have been a Classical fan for ages and have written music for classical instruments.
I'm a big Edgar Varese fan - maybe as a percussionist you've done some of his pieces?

No, I have not played any.  I just was watching History Detectives on PBS this past week, and they were talking about a Theremin, if you know what instrument that is.  They mentioned that Varese wrote a solo piece for the instrument. 

Metaldams:  the things you mentioned about music that you know is exactly what I was talking about.  I didn't know how advanced you were in music.  One of my past musical instructors had a great saying:  "Explore the boundaries of mezzo-forte."
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Blystone

"Possibly the most beautiful piece of music ever?"

http://www.4shared.com/audio/t3_7MNw1/Florence_Foster_Jenkins_-__Que.html

Well, maybe, but about the performance I'll say nothing. Enjoy it!

[tounge]

Offline metaldams

I didn't know how advanced you were in music.

Oh please, I put up those youtube vids of me awhile back.  You should realize by now I make John Entwistle and Geddy Lee green with envy.   [pie]   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

"Possibly the most beautiful piece of music ever?"

http://www.4shared.com/audio/t3_7MNw1/Florence_Foster_Jenkins_-__Que.html

Well, maybe, but about the performance I'll say nothing. Enjoy it!

[tounge]

Thats really powerful but I don't think it's as good as Fanny Dinkelmeyer's riviting rendition of "Voices Of Spring". 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Blystone

Florence Foster Jenkins sounds like she took Professor Shemp's advice and gargled with old razor blades! [surrender]