Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Favorite Charlie Chaplin movie

Offline metaldams

What's your favorite Charlie Chaplin movie, and why?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

What's your favorite Charlie Chaplin movie, and why?

I don't consider myself a big CC fan. I'm a Stooges/WC Fields guy; also enjoy Marxes and A&C's better stuff.
I hate the Ritz Brothers.

My personal soft spot in the Chaplin dept. is definitely for The Great Dictator, though I'd have to say that Modern Times is far superior, not only to TGD but to 99% of movies in general. The mere notion of the innocent Little Tramp as a serial killer (Monsieur Verdoux) appeals to my sick sense of humor as well.

I would recommend the works of Max Linder to any Chaplin fan, but any Chaplin fan probably knows that already... Of course, Linder's silent films were mostly made in France, so to fully enjoy them you need to fluently not speak French.

- mnw

Offline metaldams

I don't consider myself a big CC fan. I'm a Stooges/WC Fields guy; also enjoy Marxes and A&C's better stuff.
I hate the Ritz Brothers.

My personal soft spot in the Chaplin dept. is definitely for The Great Dictator, though I'd have to say that Modern Times is far superior, not only to TGD but to 99% of movies in general. The mere notion of the innocent Little Tramp as a serial killer (Monsieur Verdoux) appeals to my sick sense of humor as well.

I would recommend the works of Max Linder to any Chaplin fan, but any Chaplin fan probably knows that already... Of course, Linder's silent films were mostly made in France, so to fully enjoy them you need to fluently not speak French.

- mnw

The GREAT DICTATOR has some wonderful parts, but that speech at the end, while I appreciate the sentiment, is just way too long winded for my tastes.  It's as if for years Chaplin resisted talking and once he finally did, he couldn't shut up.

I too like MONSIEUR VERDOUX for the most part, but again, I can't stand the end.  We're supposed to feel a bit better about wife killing Charlie only because his crimes aren't as bad people who start wars and create weapons of mass destruction?  Give me a break.  I would've appreciated it if it just ended as a dark comedy without the little speech.  Let the viewer form his or her own opinion, I say.  Still, I consider MONSIEUR VERDOUX to be my favorite Chaplin talkie.  Great scenes with Martha Raye and some of the creepier bits are horror movie worthy.

My favorite Chaplin overall is probably THE KID just because I simply love both the comic and dramatic elements.  THE PILGRIM is very underrated and I consider the scene where he's giving his church sermon to be my all-time favorite Chaplin scene.  THE GOLD RUSH, CITY LIGHTS, MODERN TIMES, and even the underrated CIRCUS are all excellent as well.

By the way, I agree about Max Linder.
- Doug Sarnecky