Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

El Brendel - thoughts?

Offline falsealarms

I've been looking into him this week and what I've found has been largely negative. I consulted the Okuda and Watz Columbia bible and while it noted Brendel wasn't "completely devoid" of talent, the book didn't offer a whole lot of praise. In fact, it said Brendel was "limited." It went on to point out that the Brendel series made "little impression" back in the day.

The only thing I've seen Brendel in was the Shemp entry PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS, which was good, but far more because of Shemp than Brendel.

So, who here likes Brendel?

Offline metaldams

Watching an El Brendel film is like getting a prostate exam while trying to pass a kidney stone.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.......and if the above scenario sounds appealing to you, check out the Columbia shorts thread in the youtube section.  You can find an El Brendel short amongst many other non Stooge Columbia shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

Yumpin' Yeeminy! A dialect comic? George Givot had more of a gimmick with the BIG Greek dialect, and he actually used it to comic effect as he mangled the English language. El Brendel just seemed to "talk funny" and came across as delicate. Maybe he would have made a good host for a kid's variety show?

Offline 7stooges

The only two films I've seen with Brendel are "Call a Messenger (with the Dead End Kids and the Little Tough Guys) and the Columbia short "Phoney Cronies" (with Monty Collins, Tom Kennedy, and Dudley Dickerson). He kind of reminds me of Joe DeRita in the way that he appears to have a sence of humor, he just never developed a familiar comic persona. I agree that he could have been a kids' TV host, or possibly even a character actor.

Offline Single-O

I think he's hilarious.  His career certainly had it's ups and downs but I think most of his performances are pretty solid and he certainly gets MANY laughs when seeing his films with audiences.  In fact, one of the dealers at this March's Cinefest was projecting some of his Columbia shorts and there were people gathering around and laughing.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Dialect humor/character is an acquired taste. I wouldn't say Brendel is hilarious, but with a good director, his Columbia shorts could be funny.

I have 4 of his Columbias on 16mm... I haven't screened them for a few years, but my recollection is THE BLITZ KISS (1941) and HIS WEDDING SCARE (1943), both Del Lord projects, were very enjoyable. Two directed by Jules White, OLAF'S LAST LAUGH (1942) and YUMPIN' YIMINY! (1941) were simply ok. Del Lord tended to put Brendel's character in funny situations (borrowing from Lord's Sennett roots), while White's unit tried to make Brendel's character funny.

To be fair to White, I think his attempt to pair Brendel & Shemp in PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS (1944) is much better than its reputation. The two comics may not have had great chemistry, but each turned in good performances and made for a funny short.

Offline falsealarms

PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS could not have failed... and it didn't. I believe I rated it 3 or 3.5 pokes. I've yet to see a two-reeler that's plumbing based that isn't at least good... this one, A PLUMBING WE WILL GO, VAGABOND LOAFERS, SCHEMING SCHEMERS, and the Gil Lamb entry PARDON MY WRENCH pop into mind.

Offline metaldams

I admit my exposure to El Brendel is a bit limited, but from what I have seen, he commits the ultimate sin of a comedian.  I can somewhat live with a comedian who tells bad jokes and unsuccessfully does funny things.  At least I can see where the humor is supposed to be.  With El Brendel, I don't even know what he's trying to do to be funny, and that's the worst.  Is it supposed to be the accent, because if so, that's a very limited and one dimensional repertoire.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Single-O

I admit my exposure to El Brendel is a bit limited, but from what I have seen, he commits the ultimate sin of a comedian.  I can somewhat live with a comedian who tells bad jokes and unsuccessfully does funny things.  At least I can see where the humor is supposed to be.  With El Brendel, I don't even know what he's trying to do to be funny, and that's the worst.  Is it supposed to be the accent, because if so, that's a very limited and one dimensional repertoire.

So you must be a Besser fan too.

Offline metaldams

Offline falsealarms

HIS WEDDING SCARE sounds intriguing as it involves a pullman car/train, which like plumbing, is often a winning formula for me.... PAIN IN THE PULLMAN, WOMAN HATERS, Keaton's PARDON MY BERTH MARKS, L&H's BERTH MARKS were all top notch.

Offline Rich Finegan

I've been looking into him this week and what I've found has been largely negative. I consulted the Okuda and Watz Columbia bible and while it noted Brendel wasn't "completely devoid" of talent, the book didn't offer a whole lot of praise. In fact, it said Brendel was "limited." It went on to point out that the Brendel series made "little impression" back in the day.

The only thing I've seen Brendel in was the Shemp entry PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS, which was good, but far more because of Shemp than Brendel.

So, who here likes Brendel?

El Brendel was a talented and funny performer, but unfortunately most of the studios didn't know what to do with him, and were not willing to give him the kinds of roles in which he could really shine. They thought the "dumb Swedish guy" character was funny, or maybe thought that was all he could do, and those were the kinds of roles he got most of the time. Even in roles where it was not called for that his character be Swedish that's how they told him to play it. He was not even allowed to use his real voice.
He was good at performing novelty-type songs, and was a very good dancer.

It's just frustrating to watch a talented guy like El being given poor material and then to read critics and authors DECLARE that El was a terrible performer.

Offline 2reelers

I enjoy the work of El Brendel. The two-reelers he appeared in at Columbia are certainly hit and miss like any other series there, but I found HIS WEDDING SCARE to be fairly amusing. Lloyd Bridges pops up in it too.

I have in my collection El's original, personal script for this film. His name (in his handwriting) is written across the top along with a notation stating "Good honeymoon on a train".

What's interesting is throughout the script, El jotted down a lot of dialog and gag ideas. There are some other notes written throughout by two others. One appears to be in a woman's handwriting (not to stereotype, but the handwriting is much nicer) and the other appears to be Jules White's handwriting.

I've been able to compare El's handwriting to a letter I have by him to a fan (his signature was framed and matted with a photo, and when I removed the photo/signature to re-frame it, I discovered a short letter by Brendel). I am fairly certain the other person's writings throughout the script are Jules White's (comparable to various documents I've seen, as well as rifling through some scripts in the Jules White files at the Margaret Herrick Library).

The thing that makes the least amount of sense is the short was directed by Del Lord. Maybe the scribblings belong to either Monty Collins or Elwood Ullman, who wrote the screenplay. At any rate, it's one of my prized collectibles.

Offline JazzBill

I thought he was pretty good. I have him in two films. ("Phoney Cronies" & "Pick A Peck Of Plumbers") He seemed willing to take a knock to the head and a do a pretty good  prat-fall.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Well, since this site does seem to have El Brendel fans, I have to ask you all what you think of AY TANK AY GO, which is the short that can be seen in the thread below.

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=3209.0

Is this a good representation of El Brendel, or is this weaker?  I really did not care for this film and found it very hard to sit through.  I literally could not figure out where the humor was coming from.  What's also discouraging is that in 1936, Columbia was putting a bit more effort in their shorts than they would later on and Del Lord directed this thing.  I'd think these two factors would be plusses, but I guess not.

Anybody have thoughts on AY TANK AY GO?

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Single-O

Well, since this site does seem to have El Brendel fans, I have to ask you all what you think of AY TANK AY GO, which is the short that can be seen in the thread below.

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=3209.0

Is this a good representation of El Brendel, or is this weaker?  I really did not care for this film and found it very hard to sit through.  I literally could not figure out where the humor was coming from.  What's also discouraging is that in 1936, Columbia was putting a bit more effort in their shorts than they would later on and Del Lord directed this thing.  I'd think these two factors would be plusses, but I guess not.

So after posting this statement:

"Watching an El Brendel film is like getting a prostate exam while trying to pass a kidney stone."

The truth comes out that you have only seen one Brendel short??  Well, that's like saying the Three Stooges suck when all you've seen is "...in Orbit".  "

Ay Tank Ay Go" is not one of the better shorts in the Brendel series.  "The Blitz Kiss", I find to be the funniest, but many others in the series ("Sweet Spirits of Nighter", "Pick A Peck of Plumbers", "Pistol Packin Nitwits", "Defective Detectives") are pretty good too. 

And sitting at one's computer is not the the ideal way to watch comedy either, IMHO.  All these shorts go over much better with an audience. 

Offline metaldams

So after posting this statement:

"Watching an El Brendel film is like getting a prostate exam while trying to pass a kidney stone."

The truth comes out that you have only seen one Brendel short??  Well, that's like saying the Three Stooges suck when all you've seen is "...in Orbit".  "

Ay Tank Ay Go" is not one of the better shorts in the Brendel series.  "The Blitz Kiss", I find to be the funniest, but many others in the series ("Sweet Spirits of Nighter", "Pick A Peck of Plumbers", "Pistol Packin Nitwits", "Defective Detectives") are pretty good too. 

And sitting at one's computer is not the the ideal way to watch comedy either, IMHO.  All these shorts go over much better with an audience. 

Two El Brendel shorts, actually.  PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS I have also seen, and that short has the benefit of having Shemp Howard.  The reason why I asked if AY TANK AY GO is representative of El Brendel is because I'm trying to keep an open mind and am interested in hearing what more seasoned El Brendel watchers think.  Based on what evidence I have seen, I think the guy stinks, but I'm willing to change my mind if shown otherwise.

My main reason for posting the prostate comment is because I feel AY TANK AY GO is one of the worst shorts I've ever seen at a time when I would've expected more from a Columbia produced Del Lord short in 1936.  Perhaps if it was made in 1955 in 1 day, I would've been more forgiving.

Also, while I agree watching comedy on youtube is not the ideal situation, it did not prevent me from enjoying some of the Andy Clyde, Harry Langdon, and Herbert/Dickerson shorts posted.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Single-O

Two El Brendel shorts, actually.  PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS I have also seen, and that short has the benefit of having Shemp Howard.

Well that's super.  Take a lifetime of work and comment about 2 shorts.  So I guess you kinda like 1 short 'cause it has Shemp and the other you hated, so you kinda just hate 1 short by Brendel.    

The reason why I asked if AY TANK AY GO is representative of El Brendel is because I'm trying to keep an open mind and am interested in hearing what more seasoned El Brendel watchers think.  Based on what evidence I have seen, I think the guy stinks, but I'm willing to change my mind if shown otherwise.

"Watching an El Brendel film is like getting a prostate exam while trying to pass a kidney stone." is NOT keeping an open mind by any stretch of the imaginination. 

My main reason for posting the prostate comment is because I feel AY TANK AY GO is one of the worst shorts I've ever seen at a time when I would've expected more from a Columbia produced Del Lord short in 1936.  Perhaps if it was made in 1955 in 1 day, I would've been more forgiving.

This coming from a guy who thinks Besser is funny.

Also, while I agree watching comedy on youtube is not the ideal situation, it did not prevent me from enjoying some of the Andy Clyde, Harry Langdon, and Herbert/Dickerson shorts posted.

Agreed, sometimes a computer maybe the only way you can see these things but they showed 3 Chase Columbia's at Cinevent last year and I laughed harder with an audience then I EVER did at home.

Offline metaldams

Well that's super.  Take a lifetime of work and comment about 2 shorts.  So I guess you kinda like 1 short 'cause it has Shemp and the other you hated, so you kinda just hate 1 short by Brendel.    

"Watching an El Brendel film is like getting a prostate exam while trying to pass a kidney stone." is NOT keeping an open mind by any stretch of the imaginination. 

This coming from a guy who thinks Besser is funny.

Agreed, sometimes a computer maybe the only way you can see these things but they showed 3 Chase Columbia's at Cinevent last year and I laughed harder with an audience then I EVER did at home.

Look asshole, I have seen two films by El Brendel and I don't find him funny.  If I see more films by him, I am willing to change my opinion if I see something funny.  Forgive me if I'm not one of the chosen few who who has the time or funds to attend every convention on Earth to watch uber rare El Brendel films.  I can only comment on what I know.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me about El Brendel or telling me I need to see more of his work to form a better opinion.  Fair enough.  What I do have a problem is your completely smart ass tone.  For a guy who gets so offended that somebody could possibly not like El Brendel, you sure as Hell have no problem taking pot shots in every other post about people who like Joe Besser.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Single-O

Look asshole, I have seen two films by El Brendel and I don't find him funny.  If I see more films by him, I am willing to change my opinion if I see something funny.  Forgive me if I'm not one of the chosen few who who has the time or funds to attend every convention on Earth to watch uber rare El Brendel films.  I can only comment on what I know.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me about El Brendel or telling me I need to see more of his work to form a better opinion.  Fair enough.  What I do have a problem is your completely smart ass tone.  For a guy who gets so offended that somebody could possibly not like El Brendel, you sure as Hell have no problem taking pot shots in every other post about people who like Joe Besser.

I could really care less if you love or hate El Brendel, but to make such as sweeping statement as you did and then be so uninformed makes you look like a tool.

Offline metaldams

I could really care less if you love or hate El Brendel, but to make such as sweeping statement as you did and then be so uninformed makes you look like a tool.

It wasn't a sweeping statement, it was a joke based on what i've seen.  A bad joke in bad taste? Perhaps, but a joke.

I've said what I have to say, so I'm going to end my part in this.  Good day, sir.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I just finished watching it and thought it was pretty funny. I would have to say the bull chasing El Brendel in the cow suit was the best part. Brendel made it pretty clear on why he didn't want the bull to catch up with them. Most of the other gags I've seen before. He pulled them off just as good as everyone else did.

Offline metaldams

I just finished watching it and thought it was pretty funny. I would have to say the bull chasing El Brendel in the cow suit was the best part. Brendel made it pretty clear on why he didn't want the bull to catch up with them. Most of the other gags I've seen before. He pulled them off just as good as everyone else did.

Hmmm, I remember watching this short and being offended by how bad it is.  Keep in mind I went in with the attitude wanting to like it.  Perhaps I need to give AY TANK AY GO a second viewing and re-evaluate it. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Hmmm, I remember watching this short and being offended by how bad it is.  Keep in mind I went in with the attitude wanting to like it.  Perhaps I need to give AY TANK AY GO a second viewing and re-evaluate it. 

Just because I liked it doesn't mean you should. Hell, maybe you're right. Maybe he does suck.