Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Time Out For Rhythm--who liked it? Who disliked it?

Offline Larry Fine Fan

I taped Time Out For Rhythm this morning, and really enjoyed it. I wished the Stooges' parts were longer, but they did a very nice job, in my opinion.

Who else watched this film this morning? Did you like it? What were your favorite parts?

Sara

P.S. Has anybody seen "Start Cheering"? If you have, how were the Stooges' parts?

Offline pipboytaylor

I watched "Time Out For Rhythm" also. This was my second viewing. I had seen it many years ago on an old copy of a copy VHS tape. It seems to me that I liked it better this first time around, I'm guessing because the Stooges performance was something new to me back then. I did think the Stooges did a good job for the time they were given but their characters did not seem to mesh very well with this plotline and main cast. There was very little interaction between the Stooges and any of the other cast members. Mostly they just stared at the Stooges routines and grinned. Comparing it to the similar film "Swing Parade of 1946", I enjoyed "Swing" more so due to the fact that the Stooges just seemed to be a better fit and I liked the storyline better, even though Curly's energy level was down in "Swing". Also in "Rhythm", with the lone exception of "Kitty", I didn't think any of the other characters/actors had any real charisma. "Kitty" was awesome and I wish the romance angle with Danny had more depth. I think it would have fleshed out the film a lot more and built up the drama. That "Frances Lewis" chick, arrrghhh!!!, I just wished someone had told her to get lost!!!! Haha! They needed to play up her villanous side a bit more. She came off really annoying and totally selfish but it seemed like they still wanted her character to appear to be likeable.

Well, that is how I saw it. I'd still buy it if it were ever released on dvd just to have it as a Stooge collectable.

Offline ProfessorStooge

When I heard that this film was gonna be broadcast, I knew I had to tape it. Curly's performance as Carmen Miranda was a classic. Let's all hope for a DVD release.

Offline FineBari3

This was the first time that I saw this film. I enjoyed the musical numbers, but FFWD through most of it.  I was glad that I taped it, so I didn't have to sit through the crummy plot!

I did not know who was in this film, and was surprised to see Ann Miller! I love her! She was an incredible tap dancer.

I enjoyed seeing the Maharaja sketch with a healthy Curly and really enjoyed the Melodrama sketch, especially when Moe would puncutuate his words with going up on his toes, and the bit the other two did with that.

I liked the Latin bit at the end with the guys, but I wanted more of Curly's Carmen Miranda!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline archiezappa

"Time Out For Rhythm" was pretty good.  The plot's okay, but the Stooges' parts are excellent.  My favorite part was when they were unveiled as the three men wearing black.  Hilarious!

I've seen "Start Cheering" and the only time I started cheering was when that movie was over!  It's horrible.  The Stooges are only in a few very short scenes.  The Three Stooges are the only thing this movie has going for it.  A 40 year old guy on campus hitting on 18 year olds?  Too creepy for me!

Offline middlenamewayne

TOFR is one of the few features I still haven't seen -- Gold Raiders continues to elude me as well --  but for what it's worth my pal Leonard Maltin* has watched it. He only gives it two stars but calls it a "Mediocre show biz musical that turns out to be a wonderful showcase for the Stooges, who do some of their best material including the 'Maja? Aha' routine. There's one good production number, 'Boogie Woogie Man' featuring Glen Gray and his Casa Loma Orchestra."

- mnw

*(Okay, I'm really just quoting the Maltin video guide, but a friend of mine did contribute to the book, so I actually might know the person who said that!)

Offline middlenamewayne

You can still get "Gold Raiders" on DVD in this awesome box set: "Classic Comedy Teams Collection."

Actually, I could still get the single Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron disc outta there separately, too, but I really don't do the online ordering thing. I expect it to show up eventually at one of the eclectic used DVD shops around Austin.

I thought that Rockin' In The Rockies was out on DVD now, too, but i can't find it listed on Amazon -- I guess I was thinking of Soup To Nuts.

- mnw

Offline HELLOLARRY

IMO I think Time Out for Rhythm is the best feature film showcase with Curly.  The Maja routine is a hoot and for all the fuss that has been made over the years of how he was like the old Curly in Three Little Pirates, once I took a look at this film you really get an idea of just how sick Curly was and these were only 4/5 years apart.

Overall the film is average but the Stooges are in peak form and the film really picks up whenever they are onscreen.  It's kind of like their One Night in the Tropics for me.  Good stuff and I'm glad it was shown so we all could see it.

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

I loved it; Curly is definitely firing on all cylinders, as are Moe and Larry...it's as if they knew this was such a rare opportunity to do a feature, they better make the most of it! It's one of Curly's most energetic performances -- he's berserk!
To me, however, it's like a Ritz Brothers appearance -- except in an A-picture with Alice Faye, it's a "B" with Ann Miller. Time to trot out tried-and-true stage routines, which actually makes it a great opportunity to envision what an early 40's Stooge stage appearance must have been like. (And one of the best examples of the Stooges' vaudeville act after PLANE NUTS.)
All in all, the best feature film appearance from the Curly era, bar none.
Chris

Offline Lefty

I finally watched the movie over the weekend.  It was interesting seeing Rudy Vallee 25 years before his appearance as Lord Ffogg on Batman.  I thought the overall movie was fair, but I definitely give the Stooges an A+ in this one.  Before finding out about it, I never even knew the Stooges had done the "Maha" routine before Three Little (Pittsburgh) Pirates.

Offline FineBari3

Three Little (Pittsburgh) Pirates.

Hey! We're above .500!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Lefty

Hey! We're above .500!

That's good, now that the Pirates have broken the Phillies' dubious record of consecutive seasons under .500.  In 1978, those weenies flew back with me and my mother from Chicago to Philly.  Our flight from Vegas to Philly should have been nonstop.  LOL

Offline mankey8284

I thought it was really good, it's the one movie that has the stooges in it as main characters. Of course the Maha routine was awesome. Curly was awesome in it, one of his best performances ever!
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly