Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Buster Keaton Educational Set 7/6/10

Linked Events

• Keaton's Educational DVD Coll: July 06, 2010 - July 12, 2010

Offline GentWithoutCents

Probably the best bit of DVD news I've heard since Volume 8 was confirmed - Kino are releasing an official set of Keaton Educational shorts on July 6th:

Sixteen Comedy Shorts
1934-37
A TWO-DVD SET

For Buster Keaton, the era of the talkies was a tumultuous time. After signing with MGM, the quality of his ambitious, eclectic comedies began to decline, leading to a period of personal setbacks.  In 1934, he signed a contract with Earle W. Hammons¹s Educational Pictures which, despite its name, specialized in comedy short subjects ("The Spice of the Program"). Keaton's move to Educational was a return to his roots, crafting a stream of two-reel comedies in rapid succession, as he had done in the early 1920s, when he first refined his cinematic craft.

The films Keaton made at Educational (all sixteen of which are collected here) pay homage to his earlier work (such as Love Nest on Wheels, which revives a number of gags from his very first film, The Butcher Boy), while exploring new possibilities for his recurring comic persona "Elmer".

These DVDs were transferred from 35mm negatives and fine grain masters culled from Keaton's personal collection and other archival sources by Raymond Rohauer. Some films exist in less-than-perfect condition, which is not atypical for low-budget "orphan" films such as these.

Kino Video Product Page (includes trailer)

Pre-order at Amazon

I'm rather glad I held back on getting that Looser than Loose set now!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:55:40 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline metaldams

Seriously wonderful news, and it's about time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Wow, great news. I'll be in for this. And the price is exactly right for a set of this kind.

KINO has a good reputation, right?

Offline metaldams

KINO has a good reputation, right?

Very good reputation, especially for silent and foreign films.  They released the Art Of Buster Keaton box set, which is the holy grail of Keaton sets.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm glad I avoided those other sets on Amazon and the one from Looser than Loose.

Offline FineBari3

Fantastic news!

I watched the trailer, and had not seen many of those clips. Buster's falls and leaps don't quite have the height and kick to them, sadly. What a terrible time it must have been for him.

I really have enjoyed the handfull of Buster's Educationals that I have seen.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

This may come across as blasphemy on this site, but I'm actually looking forward to this more than volume 8.  I've seen all the films in volume 8, though admittedly not in the condition they'll be presented in.  I've only seen two of these educationals.

The only major thing I can think of now still missing on the American market for old school comedy is the majority of the Laurel and Hardy's.  Kind of a major missing link there.   >:(
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

This may come across as blasphemy on this site, but I'm actually looking forward to this more than volume 8.  I've seen all the films in volume 8, though admittedly not in the condition they'll be presented in.  I've only seen two of these educationals.

The only major thing I can think of now still missing on the American market for old school comedy is the majority of the Laurel and Hardy's.  Kind of a major missing link there.   >:(

For me, it's because of this site that I found and learned to appreciate Keaton's work.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

For me, it's because of this site that I found and learned to appreciate Keaton's work.

It was threestooges.com for me, back when that site had a message board (ah, memories).  It was a combination of old posters StenErin and Sickdrjoe.  I was totally blown away when I first saw Sherlock, Jr.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

In some ways, I'm looking forward to the Keaton set more as well. It will be great to finally have all 190 Stooge shorts, but these Keaton's will be nearly completely new for me. I've seen Jail Bait and loved it. I have his Columbia shorts and like those quite a bit as well -- probably wouldn't have gotten those if not for the recommendations some made on here.

And to tie it into the Stooges, you'll notice several Stooge supporting players in these Keaton educationals... Vernon Dent, Bud Jamison, Al Thompson, Lynton Brent to name 4.

The 16 Educational Shorts -

The Gold Ghost (1934)
Allez Oop (1934)
Palooka from Paducah (1935)
One Run Elmer (1935)
Hayseed Romance (1935)
Tars and Stripes (1935)
The E-Flat Man (1935)
The Timid Young Man (1935)
Three on a Limb (1936)
Grand Slam Opera (1936)
Blue Blazes (1936)
The Chemist (1936)
Mixed Magic (1936)
Jail Bait (1937)
Ditto (1937)
Love Nest on Wheels (1937)

Offline FineBari3

Me too!  I mean, I have a film degree...but I never got into Buster until two years ago. A fascinating person!

I am now a Damfino and have contributed a couple of articles to their newsletter.  I hope to be able to go to the convention in Muskegon someday! 
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Rich Finegan

Everyone has it so easy now. We can just buy a whole set of the Keaton Educational shorts (and from more than one source).
When I first got a VCR in the early 1980's and started collecting comedy shorts it was very difficult to find stuff like that on video. I wanted to get all the Keaton Educationals, his Columbia shorts, his MGM talkie features, solo Stooges shorts, non-Stooges Columbia shorts, Hal Roach shorts besides Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang, etc.
It was always an exciting find when one would turn up, even if they were usually poor quality copies from film prints. Those kinds of films just weren't being shown on TV or being released on video officially. Some were very hard to find!
It took years to finally get all the Keaton Educational shorts that way. Sure it's great that Kino is putting them out all together now, but new fans are missing out on the fun and challenge of the search and the satisfaction and appreciation in finally viewing something one had been searching for sometimes for years.

But keep 'em coming! How about more Educational shorts.
And Sony, PLEASE don't forget about the Columbia Charley Chase shorts! And solo Stooges! 

Offline metaldams

Everyone has it so easy now. We can just buy a whole set of the Keaton Educational shorts (and from more than one source).
When I first got a VCR in the early 1980's and started collecting comedy shorts it was very difficult to find stuff like that on video. I wanted to get all the Keaton Educationals, his Columbia shorts, his MGM talkie features, solo Stooges shorts, non-Stooges Columbia shorts, Hal Roach shorts besides Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang, etc.
It was always an exciting find when one would turn up, even if they were usually poor quality copies from film prints. Those kinds of films just weren't being shown on TV or being released on video officially. Some were very hard to find!
It took years to finally get all the Keaton Educational shorts that way. Sure it's great that Kino is putting them out all together now, but new fans are missing out on the fun and challenge of the search and the satisfaction and appreciation in finally viewing something one had been searching for sometimes for years.

But keep 'em coming! How about more Educational shorts.
And Sony, PLEASE don't forget about the Columbia Charley Chase shorts! And solo Stooges! 

Rich, I understand what you're saying, and I agree this will be even more satisfying for me because I've been wanting to see the majority of these shorts for years.  On that end, I know where you're coming from.

That said, I'd still rather have everything released so people can evaluate and enjoy things if they want to.  If a person can't show self restraint and pace themselves with their hobbies (something I'm working on myself), then that's their problem.  There are DVD sets I want that have been out a few years that i have been holding back on for this very reason.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larry Fine Fan

Wow! That's a lot of info. Thanks for posting this, False.

Sara

Offline JazzBill

To me, part of the fun was the chase. I also have all the shorts on tape, that I recorded off of AMC and Stooge-A-Palooza here in Chicago. That being said, as much as I'm looking forward to Volume 8 of the Stooges, to complete the set. I'm really looking forward to this Keaton set coming out.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline FineBari3

That being said, as much as I'm looking forward to Volume 8 of the Stooges, to complete the set. I'm really looking forward to this Keaton set coming out.

Exactly what I am thinking! 

Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline metaldams

Exactly what I am thinking! 

Throw in a second amen to that sentiment.

My vacation is in mid July too, so I have a feeling I'll be watching these then.  I can't wait!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooge-Adam

I own a Buster Keaton Columbia Shorts DVD. I don't know if it's a "complete series" set or not. I don't know how many he did, but I really enjoyed it. One of his shorts has the saem script (Keaton used it first) as The Three Stooges' "Uncivil Warbirds." Many of the same supporting players of the Stooges are in the Keaton shorts, including Vernon Dent. Come to find out most Keaton fans feel that that's his worst work. Makes me want to check out more, but I just can't get into silent movies. I've tried and just can't.

I'll be picking up this new DVD set.

Offline Blystone

That current DVD set contains all ten Columbia Keaton shorts, and the prints look great. Better grab it before it's discontinued, folks!

Which are the best of the ten? Definitely the ones where Buster plays opposite Dorothy Appleby, who's very pretty and poised and well-dressed like a 1940's fashion model, but she isn't afraid to get into doing some hard slapstick with him (one of the very few times that Buster is on the receiving end of a pieing in any of his films, it's delivered by Dorothy). Then there's Elsie Ames, who was probably Buster's only female co-star who could match him physically, gag-for-gag, and keep up!

The Educationals, I've seen about half of them (unrestored). Don't expect anything like "The Navigator" or "The General" here, because most of these shorts were made during the era of Buster the Lush, dismissed in disgrace from MGM for excessive drinking and not showing up on the set for filming scenes when he was supposed to. Having said that, Buster's still pretty damn funny even when he's not exactly... knocking himself out, in one way or another.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I can't think of any of those ten shorts that wasn't good. It's great to know that the set I own contains all of the shorts he did with Columbia. I just wish there were more. They were funny.

Offline FineBari3

I can't think of any of those ten shorts that wasn't good. It's great to know that the set I own contains all of the shorts he did with Columbia. I just wish there were more. They were funny.

That's what I thought, that his Educational stuff (and Columbia) was not any good. I think they're as good as the Stooges work. 

Now, did Buster make films better than the Stooges? Sure, but even his 'worst' was pretty good!

(Card-carrying Damfino...)
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline falsealarms

As far as the Keaton Columbias go, the best IMO are...

NOTHING BUT PLEASURE
PARDON MY BERTH MARKS
GENERAL NUISANCE
SO YOU WON'T SQUAWK

Offline metaldams

Keaton fans will knock anything post CAMERAMAN.  It's understandable in a sense that yes, Buster's best stuff was his independent silent work, but he made some enjoyable things after this (though I'm not a major fan of the MGM talkies myself).

The Columbia Keatons are good, if not his best stuff, but then again, I enjoy Columbia shorts.  To lots of Keaton fans, the majority who aren't Three Stooges fans, Jules White is the bad guy.
- Doug Sarnecky