Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

SWEET AND HOT (1958) Yes, THAT Sweet and Hot

Offline metaldams

Enjoy it while you can, for those who don't want to wait.

[youtube=425,350]UBBH17QNavw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]TIPf_zpP7XU[/youtube]

THE HEAT IS ON!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
For those who are looking for something funny, with Muriel Landers...
[youtube=425,350]zwZ-TvvceIQ[/youtube]

Offline curlysdame

Wow.  I almost didn't get through that one (I'm still shaking my head in confusion).  I didn't feel like I was watching The Stooges at all.  IMO: Truly the worst short they ever made.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't call Sweet and Hot the worst thing I've seen, or even the worst Besser short. It's bad, but there are several others like Horsing Around, Flying Saucer Daffy, or Outer Space Jitters that I would put ahead of Sweet in the stench department. Maybe it's just me.

[disgust]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Wow.  I almost didn't get through that one (I'm still shaking my head in confusion).  I didn't feel like I was watching The Stooges at all.  IMO: Truly the worst short they ever made.

Yeah, admittedly lil' Muriel being abused in the flashback sequence isn't exactly Curly with the maze of pipes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't call Sweet and Hot the worst thing I've seen, or even the worst Besser short. It's bad, but there are several others like Horsing Around, Flyer Saucer Daffy, or Outer Space Jitters that I would put ahead of Sweet in the stench department. Maybe it's just me.

[disgust]

I stand by HORSING AROUND as the worst Stooge short because it's just plain boring. 

I used to hate SWEET AND HOT, but as I got used to it, I appreciate it for the camp anti-masterpiece it truly is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

It's bad, but there are several others like Horsing Around, Flyer Saucer Daffy, or Outer Space Jitters that I would put ahead of Sweet in the stench department. Maybe it's just me.

[disgust]

True, the shorts you mentioned aren't great, either, but I think they pale in comparison to 'Sweet and Hot.'  At least in those shorts, The Boys work as a team.  For me, it was more like watching a Muriel Landers short, featuring The Three Stooges.  It was their short, but they were almost more like supporting players in this.  And, I don't know if it was made clear enough in the film, or I just wasn't paying close attention, but what was the relationship between Joe, Larry, and Muriel?  The opening scene is Joe and Muriel in the barn, and then Larry just shows up.  It looked like there might've been a love interest (???) between Larry and Muriel, but it wasn't developed further. 

The other reason(s) why I thought this was their worst:  The opening scene (as well as the doctor's office scene) were a bit dragging.  "Let's Fall In Love" is a great tune, and Muriel had a pretty good voice, but was it really necessary to sing the whole thing?  I guess they were just trying to pad the film out, at that point.  And, I felt that everything from Muriel's flashback to the end of the film was rushed.  It goes from the doctor's office to a packed night club.  So, I guess Muriel was cured...?  Not to mention that 'Lil Tiny' was like nails on a blackboard.

I think once is enough for me.   [pie]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Rich Finegan

The other reason(s) why I thought this was their worst:  The opening scene (as well as the doctor's office scene) were a bit dragging.  "Let's Fall In Love" is a great tune, and Muriel had a pretty good voice, but was it really necessary to sing the whole thing? 
Not to mention that 'Lil Tiny' was like nails on a blackboard.

I think the performances of the songs "Let's Fall In Love" and "The Heat Is On" are the only two highlights in this mostly horrible short. As already mentioned, the flashback scenes were awful. And being an actor, perhaps Moe enjoyed the opportunity to play the heavily-accented doctor, but those scenes just aren't funny, nor is much else about the short.

Offline metaldams

It was their short, but they were almost more like supporting players in this.  And, I don't know if it was made clear enough in the film, or I just wasn't paying close attention, but what was the relationship between Joe, Larry, and Muriel?  The opening scene is Joe and Muriel in the barn, and then Larry just shows up.  It looked like there might've been a love interest (???) between Larry and Muriel, but it wasn't developed further. 

Yeah, Larry and Muriel were the love interest, I know that much.  Larry does throw Muriel a few compliments.  I don't really pay too much attention to the plot beyond that.

I also agree with the statement that the boys are supporting players in their own short.  I was actually thinking this same thing on the drive home to work, and I couldn't think of another short where this was case.  Yes, I said on the way home from work....this is what I think of.   [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

I always thought of this one as a throwback to the MGM shorts-- a couple of musical numbers with some quick stuff thrown in to loosely link them together.

I do like the first song, though, and, when porcupine starts playing the first few notes in Punch Drunks, I'm always like, "That sounds familiar.. Oh, yeah!"

Offline curlysdame

I was actually thinking this same thing on the drive home to work, and I couldn't think of another short where this was case.  Yes, I said on the way home from work....this is what I think of. 

It's alright, you can't help it if you're crazy.   [pie]

And being an actor, perhaps Moe enjoyed the opportunity to play the heavily-accented doctor

A very good point, Rich.  I didn't think about it from that angle before.  I'm sure Moe welcomed that small change of pace.  As an actress, I can definitely relate; roles with heavy accents are always a blast!

Offline Rich Finegan

I do like the first song, though, and, when porcupine starts playing the first few notes in Punch Drunks, I'm always like, "That sounds familiar.. Oh, yeah!"

Trivia:
In addition to "Punch Drunks" and "Sweet and Hot" there's a third Columbia Three Stooges short that includes the song "Let's Fall In Love". Anybody know it?

stooged and confused

I couldn't agree more with what's been said here. While SWEET AND HOT is a bad short, several sick Curly's, the fake Shemp's and the two "horse" Besser shorts are just as bad, and in some cases, worse than SWEET AND HOT.

I do think Moe got a kick out of the accent and doctor role. He did the announcer on WE WANT OUR MUMMY, GENTS IN A JAM, DUNKED IN THE DEEP and did the Uncle Mortimer role in HEAVENLY DAZE, to name a few.

The part where he plays the father and gets the whip out is a low point and not only unfunny, but in very poor taste.

The little Tiny singing scene is terribly annoying. She's singing like a cat being skinned alive and leaves me with the same effect as nails scraping on a chalk board. I wonder if the choice of butchering Three Blind Mice, which was the Stooges theme for so long, might have been an inside joke that the party was over (my Oliver Stone conspiracy theory).

I don't feel it's their worst short, but it's in the bottom 10 for sure.

Offline metaldams

It's alright, you can't help it if you're crazy.   [pie]

I'm glad somebody finally understands.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Trivia:
In addition to "Punch Drunks" and "Sweet and Hot" there's a third Columbia Three Stooges short that includes the song "Let's Fall In Love". Anybody know it?

WOMAN HATERS
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

WOMAN HATERS
No, that's not it.
Hint: in this other short, it's played on piano. And not sung, just instrumental background.

Offline metaldams

No, that's not it.
Hint: in this other short, it's played on piano. And not sung, just instrumental background.

Hmmm, guess it's been awhile since I've seen WOMAN HATERS.  I could've sworn that was it, but I won't argue with the Stooge music expert.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline RICO987

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't call Sweet and Hot the worst thing I've seen, or even the worst Besser short. It's bad, but there are several others like Horsing Around, Flying Saucer Daffy, or Outer Space Jitters that I would put ahead of Sweet in the stench department. Maybe it's just me.

[disgust]
I agree with you S_D, it is not their worst short.  For some reason, the opening sequence with the animals making noise is funny to me and always makes me laugh.

Also. look at the attitudes expressed on the faces of our boys.  It looks to me like they really had a good time making this short.  I believe the boys themselves thought they had a good script and they were doing their best to sell the material with their performances.  Watch the looks on Joe’s face when he comes from behind the curtain at 5:41 in the second “You tube” with his “musical paper”.  He looks ecstatic.  And Larry has the same look when he appears moments later playing his violin.   Not that this alone makes the short better, but it does appear the boys enjoyed making this short and had not given up on keeping the act together, no matter what the fate of the Columbia Shorts department.

And as other have noted, Moe seemed to have really enjoyed playing the doctor.

This is certainly not prime Stooge material and does rank hear the bottom, but it is still fun to watch IMO. 

Also, has everyone given up on Rich Finnegan’s question.  I am curious to know the answer. 

Offline metaldams

I was actually reading the old reviews on this site for SWEET AND HOT, and Islipp praises the Moe as abusive father flashback sequence.  That guy was a nut.  For you old timers, I still keep in touch with Uncle Mortimer (he's as into classic rock and classic metal as much as I am).  Hopefully I can get him to make an appearance or two here.

I too would like to know the answer to Rich's question.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
For you old timers, I still keep in touch with Uncle Mortimer (he's as into classic rock and classic metal as much as I am).  Hopefully I can get him to make an appearance or two here.

I haven't heard from Uncle Mortimer in years!  By all means, encourage him to come back; he was fun to have around.   ;D

Offline Mike Lipincranz

I think it is "Rhythym & Weep" played by Jack Norton on the piano?  Just a guess. :P

Offline Rich Finegan

I think it is "Rhythm & Weep" played by Jack Norton on the piano?  Just a guess. :P
Correct you are! Well done! That's it!
And has anyone ever noticed the coincidence that the song appears in Stooges Columbia shorts from the first year (1934), the last year (1958) and exactly in between (1946)?

Punch Drunks (1934)
Rhythm and Weep (1946)
Sweet and Hot (1958)

Offline metaldams

I haven't heard from Uncle Mortimer in years!  By all means, encourage him to come back; he was fun to have around.   ;D

Yeah, he's definitely a fun guy, no doubt.

He's having computer problems these days, but once he's back up and running, I'll try my best to get him to pop up.  I was reading a lot of his reviews going through the filmography section as well.
- Doug Sarnecky