Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 49892

Offline Boid Brain

Bob Feller is finally dead at 92. May he take his extreme hate to the grave with him....Yes, Feller is high on my list of assholes to join Jordan and Bing Crosby. I laughed out loud when they read that statement from the Indians stating that he was a great player as well as a great MAN! So I guess that makes Goerbels and Himmler great men, huh?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Oh please: comparing Feller to Gobbels and Himmler is way too fucking harsh! Yeah he said a couple of insensitive things (comparing Victor Martinez to Steppin' Fetchit and something vaguely insensitive about Caribbean players in general) but he was in no way in the same league as high ranking Nazi officials.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

Oh please: comparing Feller to Gobbels and Himmler is way too fucking harsh! Yeah he said a couple of insensitive things (comparing Victor Martinez to Steppin' Fetchit and something vaguely insensitive about Caribbean players in general) but he was in no way in the same league as high ranking Nazi officials.
On the suface your statement is correct, but Feller had no power and was in no position to act on his racist feelings....I know for a solid gold fact that he regarded Negroes as inferior animals and hated their living guts. Guys like Mays, Robinson and Paige, 3 completely different types of men where to him, in his poisoned, racist mind were a cancer on the game and the country, and when he got a couple of beers in him he would spew his hate to anyone in earshot.

When he got old, and close to meeting his maker he became contrite. Too late, Motherfucker...rot in Hell!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Do you have any proof of these claims or are you just going on hearsay and conjecture?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Oh, just a quick comment about Bob Feller and racism.  I have no clue about Bob Feller's views, but I do know he was born in 1918, and I have some relatives from the same generation, and let's just say they weren't exactly politically correct.  While I certainly don't condone racist views, I'm also of the understanding that racism was much more rampant in that generation, especially in the midwest and south, so I just view some of it as an unfortunate product of the times.

I don't know a thing about Bob Feller's personal political and racial views since I never read up on it, but looking at his numbers, the guy was a horse.  Like Ted Williams, his numbers would be even greater if he didn't volunteer to serve in WWII.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Now the Phillies should be able to win a game against the Bosox.

I'm wondering if Dinardo will even be a factor.  He was with the Red Sox and won one game in three years, so he'll probably just get a spring training look.

All I know is we always beat you guys unless friggin' Cole Hamels is on the mound.  He's tough against Boston.  I do remember when we absolutely butchered Jamie Moyer this year.  9 runs in one inning, I think that's his worst career start, and he's had a few starts in his day.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Do you have any proof of these claims or are you just going on hearsay and conjecture?
I never met the man, but I know those that DID....and I have read every baseball book I have ever laid my hands on, and have known several major leaguer's over the years: Nate Colbert, Bob Shaw, Dal Maxville, Al Jackson, Jesse Gonder and the great Harry Carey....but my #1 source is the "Coach".

The Coach was a co-worker of mine that I once had quite a chat with. I never knew his real name as even his name tag read "Coach"....we shared a table over lunch one day and I asked him what did he coach. Baseball was his answer. Thrilled to learn that he was briefly a Cleaveland Indian I bombarded him with questions about Colovito, but he remembered very little that was note worthy from his 2 months in the bigs....except for one man: Feller.

The Coach was a gangling 6'6" r/handed fastballer, and to his surprise, on the very 1st day with the team Feller invited him to join him and a couple others after the game for beers. As the night drew on Feller brought the subject around to Niggers, and displayed such vehemence that the Coach, himself a Southerner became quite uneasy. After all, had not Larry Doby shook his hand in welcome just hours before?

Coach said that the other guys drifted away and he was left to squirm alone, and this performance was repeated every single night after the game. He said to me " Feller had more hatred for the Black man than anyone I ever met, and I've met quite a few. He gave me the creeps...he was at the end of his career and his focus was less on his legacy than his hate."

I have no reason in the world to doubt the Coach's story, and it has proved to be true. Squelched by the sports writers for a generation (like the Babe's excesses) one writer finally asked him on an ESPN show that I SAW with my own eyes about 4 years ago: "Have your feelings on race relations changed?" Feller was visibly shook by the question...his eyes blinked like crazy as he tried to stammer out a P.C. response, kind of like Al Campanis when Ted Koeple gave him a shot at explaining what he had just said.

Later I told this story to Curt Floods girlfriend who had just returned from his funeral...she was a customer of mine in San Diego for years, but I did not know she knew Flood until that day when I spotted her funeral program on the table. She could not corroborate it as she was not a baseball fan and knew few names, but Curt told her MANY stories over the years, and yes, one was indeed a Hall of Fame A.L. pitcher. Since Flood was a career N.L.er I gotta figure that it was no secret, this Feller fellow.

Of course, he was far from the only hard racist in the game at that time. One of my own Cardinal icons, Enos Slaughter was pretty bad. When I found this out he ceased to be a hero in my mind...the same goes for the greatest right handed hitter of all time, Rogers Hornsby. Fuck 'em both. And double fuck you, Feller.

Offline metaldams

Boston picks up Bobby Jenks.  No reliever short of Mariano Rivera will make me jump for joy since relievers are so unpredictable, but Jenks is worth taking a shot on.  He's been Chicago's (AL) closer for several years and has proved he can close games, so on paper, good move.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Add Dan Wheeler to the Red Sox bullpen: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5932676

I'm liking the last couple of signings.

Offline metaldams

Add Dan Wheeler to the Red Sox bullpen: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5932676

I'm liking the last couple of signings.

Great!  You actually gave me the news, Jim, as I have been out and haven't kept up on the Sox news today.

I'm sure one or two of the four will pull a Gagne, but you gotta think with the combination of Papelbon, Bard, Jenks, and Wheeler, somebody's going to step up and deliver.  Nobody's talking about him, but my gut tells me Felix Doubront will be our big lefty next year.  We shall see.

I'm really happy about the front office's efforts this winter.  We sign young guys entering their prime while the Yankees lose out on Lee and overpay for and have a P.R. nightmare with an aging Derek Jeter.  Brilliant.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I gotta side with the Skanks on that mess. Jeter wouldn't have gotten half of what we got with NYY from another team. Hell, Scutaro out performed him last year and Marco gets paid a hell of a lot less. Jeter should have been kissing their asses that they wanted to give him way more than he is worth nowadays; he has to realize is he entering his late 30's and his best days are behind him.

I think that of two Wheeler is the better signing.

Offline metaldams

I gotta side with the Skanks on that mess. Jeter wouldn't have gotten half of what we got with NYY from another team. Hell, Scutaro out performed him last year and Marco gets paid a hell of a lot less. Jeter should have been kissing their asses that they wanted to give him way more than he is worth nowadays; he has to realize is he entering his late 30's and his best days are behind him.

I think that of two Wheeler is the better signing.

Oh, I actually side with the Yankees too, believe it or not.  Derek Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer, so while I respect him in a sense, his perfect image in the public eye is nauseating.  The way people talk about him you'd think the guy shits chocolate mousse and pisses Chardonnay.  It's this overblown, he can do no wrong image that pressured the Yankees to overspend on a 37 year old shortstop slipping past his prime.  Meanwhile the Red Sox captain with declining skills is pulling in more than 5 times less and signs on a year-to-year basis.

It was still a P.R. nightmare for the Yanks, though, so no complaints.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Zack Greinke is traded from Kansas City to Milwaukee. A slight improvement in teams, but does Greinke make the Brewers a legit contender?

Offline Justin T

Zack Greinke is traded from Kansas City to Milwaukee. A slight improvement in teams, but does Greinke make the Brewers a legit contender?

They both get a little better, but the Brewers need alot more than Greinke if they want to become
a playoff team again.

And for what happend with Jeter, I was also on the side of the Yanks in the Jeter negotiations. The way they handled
that whole thing pissed me off.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Boid Brain

No, not at all. The Reds and Phils, with SF and the Cards in a lesser roll will dominate again this year I think.

Offline metaldams

I'm a big Zack Greinke fan and as somebody else who has battled depression and social anxiety to an extent, I really respect him, so I wish him nothing but the best.

That said, he turned down Washington because he doesn't think they have much a chance of winning, only to go to Milwaukee.  Makes no sense. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

When I first saw that the Red Sox had obtained Wheeler, I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't the Phillies' not-so-great broadcaster Chris.  Anyone in Beantown want to trade him for one of the NESN commentators?   ;D

Offline metaldams

When I first saw that the Red Sox had obtained Wheeler, I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't the Phillies' not-so-great broadcaster Chris.  Anyone in Beantown want to trade him for one of the NESN commentators?   ;D

Hell no, I love Orsillo and the Rem-Dawg, (Heidi Watney as well).
- Doug Sarnecky