Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 51375

Offline metaldams

Kane, I'd love to get your take on the current Red Sox situation.  I know they won't be this bad all year, but geez!  8 stolen bases in one night against us.  Look, I realize a catcher like Johnny Bench couldn't throw ME out with Wakefield pitching, but this theft is going on even without Wakefield.  This shit's getting humiliating.  I'm just hoping when I see them in Baltimore on May 2, we'll be in the single digits in the game behind column.

On a positive note, I like Jeremy Hermida.  I saw his first at bat a few years back when he was the first guy in 100 years to hit a granny in his first plate appearance.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

......but Darnell McDonald saves our season.   [pie]

Jesus Christ, what a strange sport this is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the Mets this season & out of nowhere they reel off 8 straight victories & first place in the N.L. East. I know its early, but all of a sudden I'm optimistic about the Mets possibly winning the division.

[whoo]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Needless to say, here in the Philadelphia area, baseball is taking a back seat to hockey.  The Flyers did the (almost) impossible last night, beating the Bruins to overcome a 3-0 deficit in games (and a 3-0 deficit in Game 7) to win the series, becoming the 2nd team this week to pull off the feat.  (The Cincinnati Cyclones beat the Reading Royals in the ECHL in Game 7 Wednesday, after losing the first 3 games.)  Normally, a Phillies/Red Sox series would garner a lot of attention, but next weekend, not so much.  If this keeps up, more teams will overcome 3-0 series deficits than there will be Stooges' shorts in which the Stooges win at the end.

Offline metaldams

Boston's not playing as well as I'd like them too, and they're also in the toughest division in baseball, which doesn't help.  That said, the Saturday after the all-star break in mid July, I'll be in Fenway for the first time in 10 years (Vs. The Rangers)!  Can't wait to catch a game, eat at the Union Oyster House (the oldest resturant in the country), and walk around Quincy Market.  It's been way too long.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

The White Sox just finished a 3 game sweep in Boston. Life is good... [highfive]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

The White Sox just finished a 3 game sweep in Boston. Life is good... [highfive]

As a Red Sox fan, congrats.  We're out of it this year anyway and you guys still have something to fight for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

As a Red Sox fan, congrats.  We're out of it this year anyway and you guys still have something to fight for.

Yeah, us cardinals are about to be out of it from the looks of things. So i hear yeah. Those dam reds are just too tough(we did we 2/3 from them this series though).

Offline JazzBill

I noticed that. I know Boston has a lot of guys out with injury, but it didn't seem like the same old scrappy Red Sox team. I believe they've given up. I doubt if the White Sox will get very far but they're still trying. (I'm not real happy about the pickup of Man-Ram though)

Offline metaldams

I noticed that. I know Boston has a lot of guys out with injury, but it didn't seem like the same old scrappy Red Sox team. I believe they've given up. I doubt if the White Sox will get very far but they're still trying. (I'm not real happy about the pickup of Man-Ram though)

I'll put it to you this way.  When I'm at work, and a random swear word comes out of me, the guy two desks from me knows enough to say, "Another Red Sox player injured?"

We've won only two games going into the 9th trailing (I was at one of them), are 5 - 10 in extra innings, and have given up plenty of late inning leads (Papelbon alone has 7 blown saves), today included.  Combine that with the fact almost our entire roster is or has been injured and there are two teams in our divison on pace to win almost 100 games...better luck next year.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Yeah, us cardinals are about to be out of it from the looks of things. So i hear yeah. Those dam reds are just too tough(we did we 2/3 from them this series though).

That turned out to be a pretty big surprise. With the Cubs and their big payroll falling flat on their faces, you would  think the Cards would be in good shape. And then the Reds come out of nowhere.

Offline metaldams

That turned out to be a pretty big surprise. With the Cubs and their big payroll falling flat on their faces, you would  think the Cards would be in good shape. And then the Reds come out of nowhere.

You know, it's been 15 years since the Reds have been in the playoffs, so good for them.  It's also the 20 year anniversary of their last title.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, you would think.  [bash]

You know, it's been 15 years since the Reds have been in the playoffs, so good for them.  It's also the 20 year anniversary of their last title.

Thats the way i look at it also. If they can go all the way, and beat the EVIL Yankee's, Ill be happy!!

Offline metaldams

Thats the way i look at it also. If they can go all the way, and beat the EVIL Yankee's, Ill be happy!!

Amen brother concerning the last part.  Barring a miraculous comeback from Boston, I would actually like to see Texas win.  The Reds wouldn't be a bad #2 choice, though.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

With the Red Sox losing, there's good news and bad news.  The bad news is, it helps the Junkies.  The good news is, J.D. Screw won't be playing past October 3rd.

I will be rooting for the Cardinals from Thursday through Sunday, as Atlanta is still currently ahead of the Phillies.  Of course, if the Phillies don't learn how to hit, they will need soccer-style scores to win it all.

Offline metaldams

The good news is, J.D. Screw won't be playing past October 3rd.

You Philly fans REALLY need to get over that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You think that they would considering they have won 2 NL Pennants and 1 World Series without J.D. Drew, but we are talking about Philadelphia sports fans.

Just to clarify I love Philadelphia sports fans as a collective, along with (real) NYC and Boston sports fans as well. Those are three cities that have a die-hard for all of their major sports teams and top the fickle/lackadaisical L.A. sports fans or the downright lame Florida sports fans. The Tampa Bay Rays in the heat of a pennant race and will easily make their second postseason trip in 3 years after enduring years of futility and doing things right through the farm system, yet the Trop is a barren wasteland with tumbleweeds crossing the pitcher's mound during games! No wonder the ownership wants to move!

Speaking of which, I know this may be old news but have you heard about the possibility of moving the Rays to Hartford CT? I think the negatives outweigh the positives there.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

You think that they would considering they have won 2 NL Pennants and 1 World Series without J.D. Drew, but we are talking about Philadelphia sports fans.

Just to clarify I love Philadelphia sports fans as a collective, along with (real) NYC and Boston sports fans as well. Those are three cities that have a die-hard for all of their major sports teams and top the fickle/lackadaisical L.A. sports fans or the downright lame Florida sports fans. The Tampa Bay Rays in the heat of a pennant race and will easily make their second postseason trip in 3 years after enduring years of futility and doing things right through the farm system, yet the Trop is a barren wasteland with tumbleweeds crossing the pitcher's mound during games! No wonder the ownership wants to move!

Speaking of which, I know this may be old news but have you heard about the possibility of moving the Rays to Hartford CT? I think the negatives outweigh the positives there.

J.D. Drew is a Scott Boras client, they're all alike.  That Philly situation happened in what, 1997?  All Philadelphia missed out on is a good, but not great ball player, and I agree, The Phillies have done fine without him.  Jason Werth is not exactly chopped liver.

Don't get me started on Tampa.  I feel great for the few players, like Carl Crawford, who have wasted their abilities on shit teams for years only to finally play worthwhile baseball, but you're right, Florida baseball fans suck, or if there are Florida baseball fans, they are like my Aunt, who is a die hard Atlanta Braves fan.  I remember a couple of years back The Rays were in the playoffs and Tampa fans couldn't decide to watch The Rays or a regular seasons Bucs game.  Pitiful.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Yeah, it baffles me how The Rays can be so good but their fanbase is crap. When the Yankees last
played down in their stadium the place was packed, then it goes back to lower levels once they left.
If I was a real die hard Rays fan, I'd be pissed.

The thing that has impressed me is how the Yankees have been able to win despite injuries to key players.
The starting pitching still concerns me, but our bullpen has become lights out. Kerry Wood was a great pickup
for us, he's been fantastic.

The playoffs are going to be a challenge, The Rays and The Rangers are both very good teams. October
should be exciting.

Besides my Yankees, the Reds have really impressed me this year. The Cards are in deep trouble, looks
like they will miss the playoffs unless they can pull it together.

The Phillies are starting to pick up steam, I wouldn't count them out yet.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

Your forgetting about Cardinal nation. We have a very loyal baseball city. We sucked last year, and ppl still came to the games.

but we are talking about Philadelphia sports fans

Maybe thats why he elected to go with the cards instead of Philadelphia?? ;D [pie]

Offline Paul Allen

Curly4444
Hello fellow Cardinal fan. I'm 51 and have been part of "Cardinal Nation" since the late 1960s. I've seen a lot of players come-and-go and a lot of seasons come-and-go. I said all that to say this:

Matt Holiday is the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY on the team now and in the team's history!!  He's no better in left field than Chris Duncan was!!
When the muscle-brained, goof-ball clown missed that easy line drive last year in the playoffs against the Dodgers, that's when the Cardinal ownership should have wised-up and NOT pursued him!!  Since he sucks so badly on defense, he should at least produce 42 home runs, 125 RBI, and .325 avg. for what they're paying him!!

Money would've been more wisely spent on relief pitching.

Thanks for letting me vent - Paul Allen

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I thought I said something here, but apparently not.

I'm disappointed by the Red Sox performance this year.  So many injuries, and now Mike Lowell's retiring.  He wasn't my favorite player, but he did play good 3rd and 1st, and if Kevin Youkilis isn't back and healed by next spring, 1st base is doomed, unless Jed Lowrie (<3) takes over.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Considering all of the injuries they have had (which trumps those of the Yankees) I am surprised the still have a very small shot of making the playoffs. I don't think they will by any stretch of the imagination, but considering the fact that they have had to use Triple A scrubs a lot and are in the toughest division in MLB I am not at all disappointed by the performance of the Red Sox.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I thought I said something here, but apparently not.

I'm disappointed by the Red Sox performance this year.  So many injuries, and now Mike Lowell's retiring.  He wasn't my favorite player, but he did play good 3rd and 1st, and if Kevin Youkilis isn't back and healed by next spring, 1st base is doomed, unless Jed Lowrie (<3) takes over.

Youk will be fine.  He even said he'd probably be ready for the playoffs if the Red Sox miraculously made it, so I'm sure he'll be OK by spring.

Losing Pedroia was heartbreaking.  The guy was playing hurt earlier in the year, starts feeling better, has a monster run that culminates in a 3 home run game, then fouls a ball off his foot that puts him out the rest of the year, minus two measely games.

I agree with Jim, considering the fact we've ran Bill Hall, Daniel Nava, and Darnell McDonald, etc. out there more times than we'd like to remember, (not that they haven't contributed in their own way, but they're not what we ideally want), and considering the fact we're competing with Tampa Bay and the Yanks, Boston has nothing to be ashamed of.

Love the fact Buchholz had a break out year, Lester is continuing to dominate, though Beckett and Lackey?  Not so good.  I hope their long term contracts don't come back to bite us, but the Yankees must be having the same worries about A.J. Burnett right now as well.  Dice-K is Dice-K.

Hey, and I like watching the young kids in September.  I really like Ryan Kalish.  He's got speed, can play defense, and has some pop in his bat, and he's only in his early 20's.  If we hold onto him, I have a feeling he'll be taking over for Drew in 2012.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Curly4444
Hello fellow Cardinal fan. I'm 51 and have been part of "Cardinal Nation" since the late 1960s. I've seen a lot of players come-and-go and a lot of seasons come-and-go. I said all that to say this:

Matt Holiday is the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY on the team now and in the team's history!!  He's no better in left field than Chris Duncan was!!
When the muscle-brained, goof-ball clown missed that easy line drive last year in the playoffs against the Dodgers, that's when the Cardinal ownership should have wised-up and NOT pursued him!!  Since he sucks so badly on defense, he should at least produce 42 home runs, 125 RBI, and .325 avg. for what they're paying him!!

Money would've been more wisely spent on relief pitching.

Thanks for letting me vent - Paul Allen

So true he was a big waste. If they had some good relief pitching, maybe we would have won alot more of those games we messed up in the late innings.