Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 50134

Offline falsealarms

Food for thought.... Jayson Stark hits it on the head:

"Can a team that never, ever scores five runs beat a team that just won every game against the Yankees by five runs or more? I just don't think the Giants will score enough to win this."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5731229 (lots of predictions)

For those interested in autographs, over the years I got 5 members who are now in this WS:

Nate Schierholtz: http://img253.imageshack.us/i/ws003d.jpg/

Josh Hamilton, Jonathan Sanchez: http://img576.imageshack.us/i/ws001z.jpg/

Matt Cain, David Murphy: http://img708.imageshack.us/i/ws002.jpg/

Offline metaldams

Food for thought.... Jayson Stark hits it on the head:

"Can a team that never, ever scores five runs beat a team that just won every game against the Yankees by five runs or more? I just don't think the Giants will score enough to win this."

The Yankees don't have the pitching the Giants do. 

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
If you're old enough to remember the 87 Series the Twins were a very light hitting team that did not rack up the runs (in fact they were outscored by opponents in the regular season) and they won.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline curlysdame

The Yankees aren't exactly known for their defense.  Sure they have alot of big bats, but their pitching can be lukewarm, IMO (with the exception of Rivera).  The Giants, however, have built the team up around a first class pitching staff, and defensive game.  There's a reason why most of our post season games have been decided by one run (granted, The Braves and Phils battled very hard). 

As for our offense, "there's a new hero every night."  This is a very different team from the '02 Series: everyone in our starting line-up has contributed to a win in this post season, each of them can be a threat at the plate (Cody Ross, anyone?)  It's going to be anything but a cake-walk.

Giants, in game 7.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I know I predicted a Giants Series win but I don't think anyone predicted them to rock Cliff Lee in game 1.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Hes getting rocked indeed. Hate to see any good pitcher hit that hard.

Offline Justin T

Well I know I predicted a Giants Series win but I don't think anyone predicted them to rock Cliff Lee in game 1.

Neither did I, but they got to him tonight, gives up 5 and is pulled. Then Uribe with a 3-Run Bomb to left
to make it 8-2 Giants and I'm both shocked and impressed by this. Giants making a statement here in
Game 1.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

Offline Justin T

But can they keep this up, or is it a fluke??

Good question, but no one thought they could beat the Phillies and they did. We'll
find out as the series continues.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

Good question, but no one thought they could beat the Phillies and they did. We'll
find out as the series continues.

True, true

Its 8-4 now. Could we be looking at a big comeback??

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
For the Giants sake I hope not, pimp slapping Lee only to lose would more devastating than having Lee pitch his usual gem.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Wow, what a combination of "nice play" by Aubrey Huff and "brain fart" by Ian Kinsler on the single/tag-out just now. That was impressive.

Offline curlysdame

I can't believe how may runs we've scored.  I expected it to be a much tighter game.  It's now 10-4, Giants.

Wow, what a combination of "nice play" by Aubrey Huff and "brain fart" by Ian Kinsler on the single/tag-out just now. That was impressive.

Yeah, really nice play by Huff Daddy.  And Renteria and Uribe have made some fantastic plays, too.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline curlysdame

PS:  I had no idea about that rule.  Major brain fart.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
On the opposite end of the defensive spectrum I would not be surprised to see Vlad Guerrero benched for Game 2.

Yeah, if run straight up the line past first you are OK but if you round the corner towards second you do at your own peril as you just saw.

Offline Justin T

Yeah, that was a Epic Fail in baserunning by Kinsler.

Wow, Giants are now up 11 to 4 in the 8th, this is crazy. Not only did they rough up
Cliff Lee but they abuse the Rangers bullpen as well, and the errors don't help either.

Washington should bench Vlad for Game 2, those 2 errors cost them more runs.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Finally the Giants record the last out of a very impressive Game 1 win. If baseball fans were not interested in this Series I think many will change their minds after tonight.

Offline falsealarms

I have no idea what to think. I thought it was over when TEX was up 2-0 with Lee going.

Offline metaldams

Well, I wasn't near a computer last night so I'm late for the party, but man, it was Lee vs. Lincecum, so I'm expecting a pitcher's duel.  Instead more runs are scored than in some Little League games I've been involved in.

That Huff/Kinsler play was totally freakish.  In all my years of watching baseball, I have never seen that before.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think I am going to go out of my way to miss that Robert Downey Jr film they shoe-horned the commercial for after the last out of the top of the 2nd.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This was the game everyone thought yesterday's would be: a pitcher's duel. Unfortunately for the Rangers their bullpen has been awful so far.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Four walks in a row...wow.

Offline Justin T

Wow, Rangers bullpen has an ever worse meltdown in Game 2 than Game 1.

4 straight walks, and a two run single and instead of a close 2-0 game its now
6-0 Giants and the inning isn't over yet.

Cain was lights out tonight, the guy has an ERA of 0.00 this postseason. He hasn't
given up a single run so far! Amazing work from Cain.

UPDATE: Renteria with a bases clearing triple and its now 8-0.

The Giants aren't just beating the Rangers so far this WS, they are dominating them
in both hitting and pitching.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
9-0 now...this is sad.