Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 49894

Offline metaldams

Of COURSE I had to miss the top of the 9th last night in the S.F./ATL game!  Literally saw every other half inning.  Absolutely sucks to be Brooks Conrad.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Next stop for Brooks (I'm not Robinson) Conrad -- the American League as a DH.  I do hope Atlanta wins tonight so that both teams have to shlep back to California, play, oh, about 80 innings or so, and then one team can fly back east to Philly for the NLCS. 

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Your wish is not granted as the Giants bested the Braves. What a great series that was: all of the games ending with a one run difference. I don't think any of the Rays/Rangers games have been close.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

God help Texas fans.... as awful of a last couple innings as one would see.

Offline Curly4444

It almost made me Ill. God, i hate the Yankees.  >:( Wake me when this ones over.

Offline falsealarms

Texas with an early 2-0 lead... exactly what they needed.... but at the same time, as we saw last night, it's more important how you end the game than how you start it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
So far this ALCS is a lot more interesting than any of the ALDS'. All 5 of the TB/Tex games were pretty much without suspense and watching the Twins lube themselves up and bend over for the Skanks was boring. I wish I can say I'll be watching game 1 of the NLCS but I'll watch UFC 120 instead.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Offline metaldams

I'm glad Texas won today, because last night was vomit inducing.  Seriously, it's the playoffs, you better have a closer you can put in the 8th in situations like Texas was in last night.  If the Yankees were in Texas's situation, there's no doubt Mariano would be there in the 8th as the fire stopper. 

The Phils/Giants game is 4 - 3 as I type this, not exactly the legendary pitcher's duel I was hoping for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

As good as Lincecum is, I did not see SF winning game 1 in PHI... was thinking PHI in 7 beforehand, but that assumed a PHI game 1 win.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There are few sites better than watching thousands of despondent Mooks flee Yankee Stadium as a pitcher like Cliff Lee pwns the Skanks.

Offline falsealarms

It's especially fun to see that kind of performance against the Yankees. Huge win for Texas up 2-1 with the historically erratic Burnett on tap for perhaps the Yanks' biggest game of the year.  Tommy Hunter isn't going to overpower anybody (only 68 K in 128 IP) ..... I could see both starters get hit around. I wouldn't bet on either starter doing all that well later tonight.

And who can forget a pivotal game 3 with SF-PHI? Cain-Hamels has the potential be a great duel.

Offline metaldams

There are few sites better than watching thousands of despondent Mooks flee Yankee Stadium as a pitcher like Cliff Lee pwns the Skanks.

Pure entertainment.  Lee is what, 7 - 0 in the post season?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

From ESPN's Buster Olney....

Here are the lowest postseason ERAs, for those with a minimum of five starts (starts in italics):

Sandy Koufax: 0.95 (7)
Christy Mathewson: 1.06 (11)
Cliff Lee: 1.26 (8 )
Eddie Plank: 1.32 (7)

And the most 10-strikeout games in postseason history:

Cliff Lee: 5
Randy Johnson: 5
Bob Gibson: 5
John Smoltz: 4
Mike Mussina: 4

LEE 13 K REEL: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12857075&topic_id=14873502

I just love the "strike 3" calls in the 8th inning.

Offline Curly4444

It's especially fun to see that kind of performance against the Yankees.

All i got to say is God bless Texas!!

Offline metaldams

I would love to see Burnett tonight last about, oh....1 1/3 innings, only to leave with the bases loaded and have Javier Vasquez come in to releve.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
ROFL that was funny! They were just showing clips from the '05 ALDS when Bengie Molina was on the Angels, smashing dingers against the Skanks, then Molina does it again right away. Foreshadowing?

Perhaps Cano's bullshit home run won't matter (should have been a ground rule double or even an interference out).

Offline Justin T

This ALCS has been painful to watch. I'm watching my Yankees just get outplayed in every way possible.
Texas is hitting and pitching better. Outside of Jeter and Cano NO ONE is is hitting very much and the
starting rotation has been shelled. And then to make things even worse Mark Teixeira gets a hamstring injury
last night and won't be playing again untill next season.

Do I like seeing my team get it ass kicked? Nope, but I have to give the Rangers their due. If they are going
to win this and move on to their first World Series ever (which they probably will) they will have earned it without
any question.

At this point it would take an epic miracle for the Yankees to win 3 games in a row, even if somehow they won the next
two games Cliff Lee would pitch Game 7 and he's just dominating right now.

I hope for one, but I'm not expecting it. This series feels like it's over.

If Texas wins I will be rooting for them in the World Series, I don't hate the team and I'm an American League guy.

The NLCS has been very entertaining. Giants are giving the Phillies a run for their money. Some of their best hitters are
slumping right now while the Giants are hitting. Cody Ross is just killing the Phillies and he's batting 8th! Game 4 is going
to be interesting.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

OK, so I didn't get the nostalgic Javier Vasquez sucking in long relief, but I did get a nostalgic 10 - 3 score.  Hopefully next year I'll be able to derive pleasure from Boston victory instead of New York defeat.

Oh well, at least the playoffs have been decent so far.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The ALCS damn well should be over and would be if it weren't for one inning in Game 1. If the Rangers go to the World Series (and they most likely will) I will still root for the National League team. The reason for this is the Bush Factor. GW Bush, the worst President this country has ever seen, once owned the Rangers and during Game 1 I saw that chimp sitting next to Nolan Ryan. If the Rangers win Bush would be happy and that man does not deserve to be happy. If it ends up Rangers/Giants you will have a franchise that has never even been to a World Series vs a franchise that last won when they were in New York.

I would like to see the Rangers wrap it up today (because it would be funny to watch the Skanks get swept at home) and the NLCS go 7 games. You see Vince McMahon and WWE has one of their 100 Pay Per View events for the year scheduled on Sunday. If the NLCS goes the distance not only would they be asking people to pay $50 or more to watch shitty wrestling instead of Packers vs Vikings for free BUT an all or nothing Game 7 as well.

PS: FOX execs have to be shitting bricks at the very real prospect of the Rangers in the WS instead of the Skanks. The Series would have competitive (probably go 7) for it to get any decent ratings with the Rangers.

Offline Curly4444

It seems you hate the Yankees( I mean Skanks) more than me.  ;D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well I'm a long time Red Sox fan and both my love for the Sox and hatred for the Skanks is encoded in my DNA.

I remember back in 1986 when I was but a pup, immediately after the Sox had lost the World Series to the Mets a neighbor's dad who was a Skanks fan asked me "who do you hate more: the Yankees or the Mets"? Without hesitation I looked this man right in the eye and said "the Yankees". It's the biggest Sports Rivalry ever and if you really are a fan of one you have to hate the other.

Offline metaldams

Well I'm a long time Red Sox fan and both my love for the Sox and hatred for the Skanks is encoded in my DNA.

I remember back in 1986 when I was but a pup, immediately after the Sox had lost the World Series to the Mets a neighbor's dad who was a Skanks fan asked me "who do you hate more: the Yankees or the Mets"? Without hesitation I looked this man right in the eye and said "the Yankees". It's the biggest Sports Rivalry ever and if you really are a fan of one you have to hate the other.

Agreed.

The only time I ever root for The Yankees is if it somehow helps Boston in the standings, and even then I feel like I need to take a shower.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline curlysdame

The reason for this is the Bush Factor. GW Bush, the worst President this country has ever seen, once owned the Rangers and during Game 1 I saw that chimp sitting next to Nolan Ryan. If the Rangers win Bush would be happy and that man does not deserve to be happy. If it ends up Rangers/Giants you will have a franchise that has never even been to a World Series vs a franchise that last won when they were in New York.

LOL I like the way you think, Jim. 'Not My President.'  And you make a good point - if it's Giants/Rangers, someone will win for the first time.  Despite the greats SF has had (Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Cepeda, Clark, etc..) we've come frustratingly close, but never won the big one.   :-\
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
"Not my President" was my mantra from 2000-2008.