Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2010 Baseball - For Those Of Us Who Care

metaldams · 320 · 50123

Offline metaldams

OK, nothing, and I almost literally mean NOTHING has been posted on this board the past few days, and baseball season has started, so let's see if anybody actually wants to discuss baseball this season.  Everybody is welcome except Yankee fans (just kidding......maybe).  >:D

Last night's game was interesting.  The "pitching and defense" Red Sox managed to give up 7 runs yet managed to win 9 - 7 despite a supposedly depleted offense.  I agree the Red Sox don't have that 40 home run guy, but unlike the past few seasons, there doesn't seem to be any automatic outs (i.e. Lugo, latter day Varitek), either.  On paper, it's an all-around solid team.  The Yanks and Tampa Bay should be tough, so I expect a good race in the East.

I think the Phillie fans complaining about losing Cliff Lee will forget about him after a few months of Roy "glad you ain't in the A.L. East anymore" Halladay.  Speaking of Lee, a shame he's injured.  Seattle can never catch a break.  I hope this isn't shades of Erik Bedard for them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Yeah, it was a good game last night. Not happy we blew a 5-1 lead but its only the first game. We have alot
of baseball left to play. I was impressed with Granderson getting a homer in his first at bat as a Yankee, and
Gardner decided to erase fans doubts about his hitting going 2-4, including stealing home no less. The error
he made was ugly but he wasnt the only one who made mistakes last night. Cano also did well too in his new
spot in the lineup. So those were some pluses despite the loss.

The one concern for me was Posada, on the one hand he was on fire at the plate going 3-4, but he made some critical
errors behind home plate with those wild pitches. We need to make sure we have a solid catcher to back him up
if he gets injured, which is a very likely possibility. Jorge isn't getting any younger.

Sox have a solid lineup and good pitching. I agree with Metal, its going to be interesting in the AL East this year
depending on how how well Tampa plays. Yanks and Sox are both good, so if Tampa can play well enough its going
to make a very interesting 3 way race.

Also agree about the Phils and Halladay, he was pretty darn good in spring training. If he keeps that up the Philles got
a great shot at repeating as NL Champs.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Lefty

While at work, I checked Google now and then (and got reports from a Mets/Yankees fan) about the Phillies.  At least on the drive home I heard Placido Polanco's grand slam.  And Doc Halladay had a pretty good start to his Phillies' career, with 7 innings of 1-run pitching, 9 strikeouts, and an RBI single.  Once again John Lannan continues to be one of the Phillies' favorite punching bags.  Too bad he didn't pitch for his hometown Yankees in the World Series last year.  PHILLIES WIN!  PHILLIES WIN!  The final score was 11-1.  All we need is another 172 games like this.  LOL

Offline Curly4444

Woo hoo we killed the reds!! stl.11-6 cin. Too bad Franklin looked the shit, and gave up 2 runs in the 9th.

Offline falsealarms

Mets fan here. Despite a win today, if they crack .500 I'd be surprised.

Offline Curly4444

They say were(St. Louis) suppose to be good this year, but i dont know.  ???

Offline metaldams

The one concern for me was Posada, on the one hand he was on fire at the plate going 3-4, but he made some critical
errors behind home plate with those wild pitches. We need to make sure we have a solid catcher to back him up
if he gets injured, which is a very likely possibility. Jorge isn't getting any younger.

That's why it was a tough break that Maurer resigned with Minnesota.  He would've been ideal for you guys.

Also agree about the Phils and Halladay, he was pretty darn good in spring training. If he keeps that up the Philles got
a great shot at repeating as NL Champs.

Halladay's greatest asset to the Phils is he's an innings eating machine.  For a team who had some bullpen issues last year, he'll give the pen a rest and even close out games at times instead of going to a questionable closer.  Nobody throws more complete games than Halladay in this day and age.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

Any Cubs fans here or will I be flying the flag on my own this year?

Offline Curly4444

A million jokes just came to my mind, but ill be nice.  [wink]

How you guys remain loyal i'll never know.  [angel9]

Offline Stooges#1

A million jokes just came to my mind, but ill be nice.  [wink]

How you guys remain loyal i'll never know.  [angel9]

Haha.  [cool] You look at the Chicago Bulls that team have sucked it up for 12 years and still have the most loyal fans and fill their stadium every home game, so I think its just a Chicago thing.

The Cubs will win a world series one day, maybe not in my life (I am 26) but eventually.

Offline metaldams

Mets fan here. Despite a win today, if they crack .500 I'd be surprised.

What do you think about getting Jason Bay?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Haha.  Cool You look at the Chicago Bulls that team have sucked it up for 12 years and still have the most loyal fans and fill their stadium every home game, so I think its just a Chicago thing.

The Cubs will win a world series one day, maybe not in my life (I am 26) but eventually.

Ah, we have an optimist here.  :D I thought you were going to do it like 2 or 3 years ago. Then the 1st round of the playoffs, and the cubs morphed into a different team, and lost.

Offline Paul Allen

I'm a life-long St. Louis Cardinal, Elvis Presley, and Three Stooges fan!!!  Go Albert Puhols and go Cards!

Paul Allen

Offline Curly4444

I'm a life-long St. Louis Cardinal, Elvis Presley, and Three Stooges fan!!!  Go Albert Puhols and go Cards!

Paul Allen

You said it, we won today!

Offline FineBari3

Well, it's another year of watching good players get traded here in Pittsburgh. Garrett Jones hit two homers yesterday and he will probably not be with us at the end of the year.

The 11 runs the Pirates scored in an 11-5 victory against the Los Angeles Dodgers were the most they had ever scored in an opener.

People are sick of how this team is run here, and the biggest news to look forward to this year is the new monster chicken nachos at PNC Park. 

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

What do you think about getting Jason Bay?

Not a bad move if he stays healthy. Probably needed a SP more than a corner OF (really needed both) but a guy like Lackey has his own health issues to worry about. At least they didn't pluck down a lot of cash for Duncan-creation Joel Piniero. I kinda wanted a guy like Jon Garland as a solid, durable innings eater on the cheap.

Fun fact: The Mets dealt Bay for Jason Middlebrooks in 2002.

Offline metaldams

Not a bad move if he stays healthy. Probably needed a SP more than a corner OF (really needed both) but a guy like Lackey has his own health issues to worry about. At least they didn't pluck down a lot of cash for Duncan-creation Joel Piniero. I kinda wanted a guy like Jon Garland as a solid, durable innings eater on the cheap.

Fun fact: The Mets dealt Bay for Jason Middlebrooks in 2002.

In 2006, Joel Piniero was a failed reliever for the Red Sox who was released and picked up by St. Louis.  I don't know what it is with guys reviving themselves in St. Louis.  You mentioned he's a Duncan creation, perhaps he's got something to do with it.

The main thing you guys need to do is at least stay healthy.  I don't ever remember a team having as much hard luck as you guys last year.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I'm in Chicago but I'm from the south side so I favor the White Sox. I did manage to catch some of the Cubs opener yesterday. Looks like they're picking up where they left off last year.  ;D
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

We have some Sox fans here, right? If you're into the farm system, check out soxprospects.com . One of the best sites of its kind.

Offline metaldams

We have some Sox fans here, right? If you're into the farm system, check out soxprospects.com . One of the best sites of its kind.

Yeah, that is a great site!  I've checked it out before, but thanks.  I live in Delaware, and our minor league team, The Wilmington Blue Rocks, was a Red Sox farm team for a few years.  Sadly, it's gone back to Kansas City.  I did see Jacoby Ellsbury lead off in single A back in '06.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

A great play from a great game: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7504949&c_id=nym

That was such a weird game. After 20 loooong  inning's we lost. Man, i was so pissed.  >:( Such a classic, wish we could have won.

Offline Lefty

The Mutts couldn't wait until the guy got a game-winning hit, rare as that happens for them.   :-X

Offline metaldams

Or you can be my Red Sox....bottom of the 11th, nobody out, bases loaded and you can't drive the winning run.  Oy vey!
- Doug Sarnecky