Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges(2011)

Curly4444 · 117 · 19260

Offline archiezappa

Have you ever seen a remake of an original?  It's never the same.  It's definitely not better.  And, yes, we've read about the whole thing.  It's been "in the making" for like 15 years or something.

flash70

"M*A*S*H was a highly acclaimed movie that was turned into a long running emmy winning tv show. a british sitcom called "Til Death Do Us Part" was turned into an an american show called "All in the Family"...Douglas Fairbanks had big hits with "Robin Hood", "The Thief Of Bagdad", "The Three Musketeers" and "the Mark of Zorro"..all were remade with much success . Shemp's "Mr. Noisy" was a good remake of Charley Chase's "The Heckler".   The Stooges themselves remade many of their own shorts....I grant you not all remakes are successfull but it's wrongheaded to say remakes never work.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Why is it so important for you that others support this shitty project, flash? This will be terrible and I've already gone over why so I'm not going to repeat myself. Your comparisons also don't fit: M*A*S*H (a bit of trivia: this is the first major Hollywood movie in which the word "fuck" is used), while critically acclaimed and somewhat popular was nowhere near as big as the Stooges. 'Til Death Do Us Part wasn't even known to US audiences! These are definitely not the institutions that the Three Stooges continue to be to this day. Correct comparisons would be Beverly Hillbillies and Honeymooners: these make more sense. Shit, if you want to try to make a positive comparison you could have used the Brady Bunch movies (although I am not a fan of the Brady Bunch show or films the remake did attain some sort of popularity).

In related news, Paul Giamatti was on the Howard Stern Show the other day and said he was offered the role of Larry and even read a script. Not being a complete idiot he realized he could not play Larry and decided against taking the role.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

flash70

No one has to support it.....and if nobody goes to see the movie...that's their choice! My objection is to people who say that something is crap before it's even made..or to those who say remakes can't be any good. The Farrelly brothers are experienced comedy film makers who also happen to be big Stooge fans. They want to provide a similar style of low humor for a new generation. This isn't just about redoing the Stooges. Obviously it won't be the same...but it could be a very enjoyable slapstick comedy in the Stooge style. What's wrong with that?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
No one has to support it.....and if nobody goes to see the movie...that's their choice! My objection is to people who say that something is crap before it's even made..or to those who say remakes can't be any good. The Farrelly brothers are experienced comedy film makers who also happen to be big Stooge fans. They want to provide a similar style of low humor for a new generation. This isn't just about redoing the Stooges. Obviously it won't be the same...but it could be a very enjoyable slapstick comedy in the Stooge style. What's wrong with that?

Personally, I don't really like the Farrelly brothers' films, and from what I've heard of the script in the past it contained a lot of immature toilet humor (which is definitely not in the Stooges style.)  Admittedly, that was several years ago and the script could easily have been rewritten since then, but I remain dubious.

They could make a slapstick comedy without calling the characters Moe, Larry and Curly, but if they are going to claim to be the Three Stooges then they will need to stick to a much higher bar than I believe the Farrellys are capable of achieving.  If they ever do make this film we will see whether they can prove me wrong.   :-\

Now if Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi were behind the project, I might be less skeptical...   ;)

flash70

In this case I pretty much agree with you....."Dumb and Dumber" had some stoogey(?) moments but obviously the bar is raised very high and it will take a lot for them to reach it..Personally, I hope they are up for the challenge although I do admit the odds are slim..I also agree that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell could do some wonderfull things with the premise.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here are the facts: the Farrelly's films are for the most part awful. Dumb & Dumber, Me, Myself & Irene, Shallow Hal and Fever Pitch are absolute dreck. There is no chance they will make a good Three Stooges movie: no one can.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

flash70

I agree about "Shallow Hal"..."Me, Myself & Irene" and "Fever Pitch"...."Dumb & Dumber" HAS funny scenes and I think you'll find "There's Something About Mary" has quite a few fans... You might want to consult your dictionary on the definition of "fact". You seem to have that word- and "opinion" mixed up.   

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Did I mention There's Something About Mary? Gee I don't think I did! If I remember correctly I did say that was their one good movie in an earlier post.

Perhaps you should look up the word "facetious". I was being facetious when using the word fact and anyone with 1/4 of a brain would know I wasn't using the word "fact" in a literal manner.

flash70

I apologize about missing "There's Something about Mary"... I obviously didn't see that post but it challenges the notion they can't do anything good. I know what facetious means....it means a comment that is not meant to be taken seriously or literally.  It seems pretty obvious that you DO mean to have your post taken seriously.....and you are using the word in a manner that would suggest the literal definition is being used...if there is any other interpretation- I would like to hear it!  This whole argument is getting tiresome. It's obvious that you take the stooges very seriously and I admire your conviction...Still,  now you have sunk to personal insult,which is so unwarranted....why is it that you have such intolerance of other people's opinions? Must everyone agree with you on all issues? How can one optimistic opinion which conflicts with your own be so terrible? If and when the movie comes out and if it is bad- I would be the first to acknowledge it.  I don't come to this site to pick fights or make enemies..I'm a huge stooge fan and I enjoy communicating with other fans.  If my opinions bother you, just ignore them...live and let live!  I hope you have a great day! (or night...depending on when you read this)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
First of all flash, do NOT tell me the meaning of what I write. First of all, you do not know me well enough to make any assumption on whether I meant the word "fact" facetiously or literally.Secondly, I am the author of the post and I say I used a word in a facetious manner than I did. I am by no means an idiot and realize that opinion cannot be taken as literal fact. I don't think you are either, which is why I made the "1/4 brain" remark. Am I making myself clear to you?

It's not your opinion that bothers me its your attitude (which you have revealed very clearly in your latest post). It seems as though you are projecting your views onto me. When someone gives a pessimistic view of this abortion of a film project you come out like clockwork to defend it. Even when people such as myself (and others) have explained our positions you patently disregard those views (which is fine, your choice) but continuously repeat yourself. Also, I have noticed that this is pretty much the only thread you contribute to.

Your last name wouldn't happen to be either Benjamin or Farrelly, would it?

flash70

There is no need to get bent out of shape....If I misread your posts, I apologize.... if you say you didn't intend to insult me...I'll take you at your word... You do say you don't have a problem with my opinion, just my attitude...Huh???...You say the film project is an "abortion" and I continuously defend it.  So what? What difference does it make? How does that hurt anyone?  I thought this was supposed to be a friendly discussion? ....I have come to the conclusion that you are incapable of having a "friendly discussion" of this sort...Please note that this is just my opinion and nobody has to agree with me....I've said what I wanted to say and I probably won't be adding anymore on this subject unless the movie is actually filmed and released. I also won't respond to any more of your posts. Who needs the hostility?
 Numerous reasons Mr. Benjamin. S#1

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
And I have come to the conclusion that you are a fool and need to go. You try to read my mind and then insult me yet you can't understand why I became hostile towards you? Please. I actually liked you for some strange reason flash, but it's no sweat off my balls. Fare Thee Well.

Offline Boid Brain

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
As you can see up above he became quite rude, telling me the meaning of what I had said (arguing semantics over the word "fact", which those who have read my MTS posts can tell you is a word I use facetiously all of the time). He apologizes later but then in the very same post he apologizes (and after I called him out for exclusively posting to this one thread and basically posting the same thing over and over) he takes on a rude demeanor, proclaiming he is no longer going to posit his opinion on this subject and nor will he respond to me. So I made it easier to "flash" to keep his word. Don't come into my house (or in this case the house that I have been given the keys to by the owner) and slap me in the face. I'll have no choice but to kick you out.

I don't mind an exchange of different opinions at all, but when you keep repeating your ad nauseum it gets repetitive, and my constantly responding to him had gotten repetitive. Had he been a more active member I would have cut him more slack...but 27 posts in a little over a year and 21 of them basically saying the same thing in the same thread and I have no compunction in getting rid of him.

Offline Boid Brain

As you can see up above he became quite rude, telling me the meaning of what I had said (arguing semantics over the word "fact", which those who have read my MTS posts can tell you is a word I use facetiously all of the time). He apologizes later but then in the very same post he apologizes (and after I called him out for exclusively posting to this one thread and basically posting the same thing over and over) he takes on a rude demeanor, proclaiming he is no longer going to posit his opinion on this subject and nor will he respond to me. So I made it easier to "flash" to keep his word. Don't come into my house (or in this case the house that I have been given the keys to by the owner) and slap me in the face. I'll have no choice but to kick you out.

I don't mind an exchange of different opinions at all, but when you keep repeating your ad nauseum it gets repetitive, and my constantly responding to him had gotten repetitive. Had he been a more active member I would have cut him more slack...but 27 posts in a little over a year and 21 of them basically saying the same thing in the same thread and I have no compunction in getting rid of him.
Well, I have decided to be his advocate...this movie could well be funny there is NO WAY to tell at this point. That Lady Stooge video: was it good? NO. it was not, but we liked it....could the Bros' do worse?

Offline archiezappa

Well, I have decided to be his advocate...this movie could well be funny there is NO WAY to tell at this point. That Lady Stooge video: was it good? NO. it was not, but we liked it....could the Bros' do worse?

In a word, yes.

If you want theatrical released Stooges, rerun the original shorts in theaters!  I guarantee that this will go over WAY better than some movie that's bound (and determined) to suck eggs.

Curly:  If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed.