Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges(2011)

Curly4444 · 117 · 19272

Offline afcomser

I copied, the 2000 The Three Stooges movie off of Crackle, when they had it a month back and put it on DVD, It looks pretty good, but it has the 1min comercials throughout it.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline afcomser

The Three Stooges 75th Anniversary Special talks about it, It was set to come out like for 2004 or 05 originally. Hopefully it is more accurate than the 2000 version. I know there is alot of stuff, to put in, but when they interviewed the Farrellys's they said they didn't know if they could fill two hours. I think if they fill in the gaps, they would get an awful lot. An Accurate Bio-Movie would be very entertaining. I still get people in my Local Stooges group that have no Idea Curly was in any feature films, nor have a clue that there were MGM shorts prior to Columbia. I think it would be cool to have a whole college class of just Stooge history. I hear Solomon did it, or maybe still does at the college he teaches at.

Offline ProfessorStooge

If such a class even existed, I would sign up for it immediately.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Three Stooges 75th Anniversary Special talks about it, It was set to come out like for 2004 or 05 originally. Hopefully it is more accurate than the 2000 version.

The Farrellys and C3 have been trying to get this ill-advised project made since 2001.

It is not a bio-pic... it is an attempt to make/update a new Three Stooges.

Offline afcomser

I Don't doubt it's been in the works earlier, that is just the first time I've heard about it was on the 75th aniverssary show it came out in 2003 and they said it would be out that summer. I am also pretty sure it's not going to be a bio pic as well, just an innacurate fictional story line. I'm just putting my two cents into what would make it far far better. Or are they going to make it a story line that add on to the adventures where the De-rita movies left off? The New Adventures of The New Three Stooges? Then you are right, better left in an unmarked shallow grave.

flash70

From what I've read it'll start with their childhood then fast forward to the present...it sounds like they are going to take versions of the classic characters and transplant them to the present...Can you imagine the kind of damage the Stooges could do with modern tools? The mind boggles!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
How can you be so excited? That sounds shitty and has been done by Jackass.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

flash70

Good point!  It really depends on HOW it's performed...there would be a big difference if the stuff is performed correctly...as opposed to the MTV-type crap..I'm really talking about stooge humour as opposed to stupid humour..and we know there's a difference!

Offline Boid Brain

I looked around for days to find this topic, and did a search which came up "Not Found"....this is puzzling to the max. There just HAS to be discussion on the proposed new movie with Penn, Del Toro and Carey!

After that awful offering on TV (2001?) I'm looking forward to this one.

Can someone redirect me to where it is being dicussed? It is the reason I joined this site. ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's the topic, I merged your thread with this one.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

flash70

I've heard that the script is supposedly very good....although it appears that nothing is for certain where casting is concerned..MGM's financial problems wouldn't help the situation any.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Did I miss something along the way?  Have the Farrelly brothers finally lost control of (or given up on) this project?  I just looked on IMDB and I don't see anything about it in their credits.   :-\

The last time I was paying attention, the project was stymied by a lack of financing, and that was a while ago.

UPDATE:  I also see that the entry on IMDB now shows 2012 for the tentative release year, and all of the production data is gone.

Offline Curly4444

Maybe they realized it was going to suck and canned it.

flash70

we should wager to see if it ends up being pushed back to 2020.

Offline Boid Brain

If it has been Kiboshed they didn't tell Carey. He is still putting on weight. The matter of height can easily be fixed with today's special effects. The sight gags in the Columbia days at times were baffling to me. Pretty damn good considering the budget.

Penn as Larry? Why not? He looks like him and the guy is a consummate actor. Benicio as Moe is a little iffy, but who knows? He may have him down. Carey as Curly could be great. He can do anybody, and he is very physical.

The 2000 flick sucked a huge dick, mainly because they had those actors doing well known scenes. Nobody can do that. I'm betting that the new movie won't make that mistake. All new schtick.

I would hope there will be lots of tits and ass in this new movie. Curly was a huge horn-dog but was always bud nipped by Moe, or the girl. Costello got the girl all the time over Abbot. It was a good formula. Let Curly get some tail over Moe!

Offline Boid Brain

From what I've read it'll start with their childhood then fast forward to the present...it sounds like they are going to take versions of the classic characters and transplant them to the present...Can you imagine the kind of damage the Stooges could do with modern tools? The mind boggles!
Exactly!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think you are missing the point of the Mel Gibson produced made for TV movie. That was a bio-pic, meant to tell the "behind the scenes" or "real life" story of the men who played the Three Stooges. Was it good? Most definitely not. There were many problems with the bio-pic, including the very over-the-top portrayals of Shemp and Joe Besser. Yes, the scenes they recreated from the shorts with the new actors were awful, but they were also secondary to the overall film and not meant to be the main focal point. I'll tell you what, I'll sit through that bio-pic again to give it a more detailed analysis (the things I do for this site!).

This movie, if it ever gets made, will suck all sorts of ass no matter who plays the Stooges and no matter who makes the film. Why? Because Benicio Del Toro cannot play Moe, Sean Penn cannot play Larry and Jim Carrey cannot play Curly. The only people who can play those roles and pull them off are Moe Howard as Moe, Larry Fine as Larry and Jerome Howard as Curly (and if Shemp were to have been a part of it, Samuel Howard as Shemp). The actors made and morphed themselves with the characters to the point where to most people they became indistinguishable.  Nobody else can play those parts, and the last time I checked all of those guys are long dead.

The Three Stooges were product of their time and left us with an enormous canon of films. Let's keep them in their time, look at the films they made in their time! There is no good reason to try to bring them into the present with actors that cannot play those parts. I don't want to see Moe with a cell phone or Larry surfing the Internet or Curly playing Wii. It wouldn't make sense and it wouldn't be any good! The Three Stooges time has come and gone (in fact their time went while they were still working) and all six of them that were at one time members of the group have died. Let's be content with the work they left behind.

Offline Curly4444

True no one could ever do the stooges like the originals. Still if they could get appropriate and good actors to play the stooges, and it was set in their time period, it might be good. The story would have to be realistic, but entertaining.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There are no "appropriate" actors to play the characters living, that's my point.

Offline Curly4444

There are no "appropriate" actors to play the characters living, that's my point.

There has to be, yeah they wont come close to the stooges. But we could overlook it if the story was gripping and realistic. The only appropriate actors are the stooges, but their dead. So if we want to see story we have to buy someone as the stooges. No sense in arguing about this anyhow, as this new stooges movie wont be written the way it should, will suck ,and might not even happen.

Offline metaldams

Let Curly get some tail over Moe!

This would actually be funny if the girl he was trying to nail was wearing Wild Hyacinth.

But in all seriousness, Jim (Shemps#1 for you newbies) said it best with his post, and since I can't say it any better, I won't try.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

This would actually be funny if the girl he was trying to nail was wearing Wild Hyacinth.

But in all seriousness, Jim (Shemps#1 for you newbies) said it best with his post, and since I can't say it any better, I won't try.
Wild Hyacinth indeed! Would he scratch his chin with her bush? :o

Offline Boid Brain

Metaldams: I'm confused! I can't find my post that you quoted! It should have been at the bottom of page 3....further, I started a new thread called the "Ghost of Frankenstein", which hit me after posting that it should have been "Frankenstein meets the wolfman"! An egregious error!!! So when it hit me I went back to try to edit it, I could NOT find it as a new topic. But when I researched my last post it was shown to me.....I just can't see it in "General Discussions"

What gives??? Am I crazy?

flash70

True, that......but still, I WOULD like to see Curly playing with Wii