Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Whoops! I'm a...?

Offline middlenamewayne

The origins page here says that the title of WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN! (1936) comes from the song "I'm An Indian". Well, I was looking at one of those public domain "300 Classic cartoons on one DVD" dealies, and it listed a cartoon entitled "Whoops! I'm a Cowboy!" Don't it seem like that would be more likely to be a pun on the Stooges short itself rather than the song... or maybe something altogether different (I haven't tried to find a release date for the cartoon...)

If I'm wrong, well then: WHOOPS!

- mnw

Offline Rich Finegan

The origins page here says that the title of WHOOPS, I'M AN INDIAN! (1936) comes from the song "I'm An Indian". Well, I was looking at one of those public domain "300 Classic cartoons on one DVD" dealies, and it listed a cartoon entitled "Whoops! I'm a Cowboy!" Don't it seem like that would be more likely to be a pun on the Stooges short itself rather than the song... or maybe something altogether different (I haven't tried to find a release date for the cartoon...)

If I'm wrong, well then: WHOOPS!

- mnw
If the cartoon is the Fleischer one under that title, then actually the cartoon came out AFTER the Stooges short (almost exactly 5 months later: 9-11-36 to 2-12-37). So if anyone copied or was referencing the other title, it was the cartoon, not the Stooges short. So the info in the Origins Page is still accurate regarding the Stooges short.

Offline stooge1029

I think its just because the Indian battle cry is a WHOOP! You know like WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP. The cartoon title is probably referenced the short. I love how politically incorrect those old shorts and cartoons were.