Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Just an idea, but........

Offline metaldams

....I think I've done five of these in the past, and I thought I would never do one again.  That said, I'm entertaining the idea.  What is it, you ask?

THE METALDAMS SHORTS TOURNAMENT

Basically, we hold a tournament in several rounds until we determine what the most popular Stooge short is.

Why may I do this again, you old timers ask?

1.)  I think we have plenty of new faces around here who have never participated.

2.) It's fun

3.) Starting June 1st, for the first time in history, all 190 shorts will be available to anybody with disposable income.

4.) Maybe, just maybe, people will think about their choices and want to discuss the films themselves.  What a concept.

I used to post on a board of another comedian who had a long awaited DVD set.  Once the set was released and people had nothing to bitch and complain about anymore, the board died.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Just an idea, and I wouldn't start the tournament until at least June when the final set is released, but what do you guys think? 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If you feel you should, then do it.  ;D

And if you don't mind my asking, what 5 shorts were the previous winners?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

If you feel you should, then do it.  ;D

And if you don't mind my asking, what 5 shorts were the previous winners?

I don't remember the order.  I know the first winner was DISORDER IN THE COURT.

I think the other four were AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, THEY STOOGE TO CONGA, BRIDELESS GROOM, and WHO DONE IT?

A PLUMBING WE WILL GO never won, which is another reason why another tournament must be held.  Justice must be served.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Most Besser shorts vs most pre-1945 Curly shorts will be the equivalent of a 16 vs a 1.

Offline pipboytaylor

I'd like it! I think this site should have a rankings system of some sort. Think  of all of the casual stooge fans, or new fans that come to this site searching for the fan favorite episodes, wanting to view or buy the dvd set with the best shorts.

Also, on a related branch of this, I also think it would be a good idea if the most knowledgeable stooge fans out there got together some "must see" lists of the non-190 stooge short material. A top 10 list from all stooge solo shorts that are the best. A top 10 list of stooge film appearances. (Excluding the DeRita 6, only because they are the main stars as they are in the 190). Reason being, I have been a stooge fan for many years, have seen as much stooge material as I can find but still have seen very few of their solo efforts. It would be nice to be able to see a a list of the ones that are considered the best comedy so that a fan could seek them out.

When reviewed, the films are rated with "pokes" on this site. Maybe it could be used to create the "top" shorts in some way, if it hasn't already been done.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'd like it! I think this site should have a rankings system of some sort. Think  of all of the casual stooge fans, or new fans that come to this site searching for the fan favorite episodes, wanting to view or buy the dvd set with the best shorts.

Also, on a related branch of this, I also think it would be a good idea if the most knowledgeable stooge fans out there got together some "must see" lists of the non-190 stooge short material. A top 10 list from all stooge solo shorts that are the best. A top 10 list of stooge film appearances. (Excluding the DeRita 6, only because they are the main stars as they are in the 190). Reason being, I have been a stooge fan for many years, have seen as much stooge material as I can find but still have seen very few of their solo efforts. It would be nice to be able to see a a list of the ones that are considered the best comedy so that a fan could seek them out.

When reviewed, the films are rated with "pokes" on this site. Maybe it could be used to create the "top" shorts in some way, if it hasn't already been done.

I used to have a "Top 10 Shorts" on the home page years ago.  I consider adding it to the new version that I am working on.

In the meantime, you can sort the Filmography list by the average rating by clicking on the little down arrow to the right of the column heading.  For example here are the 190 Columbia shorts sorted by fan rating.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
....I think I've done five of these in the past, and I thought I would never do one again.  That said, I'm entertaining the idea.  What is it, you ask?

THE METALDAMS SHORTS TOURNAMENT

Basically, we hold a tournament in several rounds until we determine what the most popular Stooge short is.

Why may I do this again, you old timers ask?

1.)  I think we have plenty of new faces around here who have never participated.

2.) It's fun

3.) Starting June 1st, for the first time in history, all 190 shorts will be available to anybody with disposable income.

4.) Maybe, just maybe, people will think about their choices and want to discuss the films themselves.  What a concept.

I used to post on a board of another comedian who had a long awaited DVD set.  Once the set was released and people had nothing to bitch and complain about anymore, the board died.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Just an idea, and I wouldn't start the tournament until at least June when the final set is released, but what do you guys think? 

Personally, I like the idea, especially now that we will have the entire 190 shorts available to watch again.   ;D

Just a suggestion, but maybe we should create a Special board on the forum for it this time around, like we did for the Master Debates.

Offline Curly4444

What about a poll? Can you add one in this forum? I know on a phpbb style forum you could.

Offline metaldams

Just a suggestion, but maybe we should create a Special board on the forum for it this time around, like we did for the Master Debates.

That would be awesome!  Thanks.

Glad there's interest, and I probably will go ahead and start another tourney.  It won't start until June at the earliest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

That sounds like a fun idea Metal, count me in
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

I'm glad people are digging this.  There's a few ideas floating in my head.  To do a straight 190, you'd have 95 first round match ups, followed by 19 groupings of five, and a final 19.  Talk about caca numbers.  Joe Besser shorts are at a convienient sixteen, perhaps I can do something with that.  Maybe I could eliminate some fat by doing a remakes vs. originals round, I can use the ratings on this site for seeds.......there's tons of ways I can approach this.  Fortunately, I have a couple of months to decide.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp Shady

First day I check out the boards in a number of years, and I find out about a new tourney! I'm up for it, metal. I already have my top four:

1) TERMITES OF 1938
2) DUNKED IN THE DEEP
3) PUNCHY PUNCHCOWERS
4) SELF MAID MADES
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline metaldams

First day I check out the boards in a number of years, and I find out about a new tourney! I'm up for it, metal. I already have my top four:

1) TERMITES OF 1938
2) DUNKED IN THE DEEP
3) PUNCHY PUNCHCOWERS
4) SELF MAID MADES

Wow!  Talk about good timing!  Nice to see you back, Tony.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I should remind you about why we don't have a Top Ten anymore: people dive bombing shorts because they thought they were too high on the list. Best to leave that idea in the past I say.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown