Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

How many of the 803 films do you have?

· 33 · 5852

chad2411

Well, I was bored yesterday (kinda) so I counted up all of my Stooge related films.  And I have a grand total of 231 (dadeda).  I'm getting there, give me another few years and I'll be up there with the likes of BEASTOOGE and DUNROBIN. (eeks) [pie]

Offline Curly4444

Well, I was bored yesterday (kinda) so I counted up all of my Stooge related films.  And I have a grand total of 231 (dadeda).  I'm getting there, give me another few years and I'll be up there with the likes of BEASTOOGE and DUNROBIN. (eeks) [pie]

Are you talking about films that just have a three stooges reference like say "Short Circuit"?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Are you talking about films that just have a three stooges reference like say "Short Circuit"?

He is talking about the 803 film and TV credits accumulated by the Stooges (team and solo) over their career(s)... summarized on this site's Home Page, and detailed in this site's Filmography and TVography. It does not include film and TV references.

Offline metaldams

You mean an exact number?  Oh geez, maybe if I have time this weekend.  I bet you there are films I forgot I have, and I guess I would have to count films I don't consider Stooge films, like THE BANK DICK and MAD LOVE.
- Doug Sarnecky

chad2411

He is talking about the 803 film and TV credits accumulated by the Stooges (team and solo) over their career(s)... summarized on this site's Home Page, and detailed in this site's Filmography and TVography. It does not include film and TV references.

Exactly, actually I have logged all of mine into the "My stooges" "My video colletion" on this site so it was very easy.  Just curious if anyone else pays attention to the numbers.

Offline Curly4444

Wow, thats alot of films. Didn't know they were in that many. Ill have all the shorts(190) soon, and all the derita stooge movies. So around 200 will be my video collection. Whoever gets all 803 is the ultimate stooge fanatic i guess.  :o

chad2411

Wow, thats alot of films. Didn't know they were in that many. Ill have all the shorts(190) soon, and all the derita stooge movies. So around 200 will be my video collection. Whoever gets all 803 is the ultimate stooge fanatic i guess.  :o

Yep, once you dig into the site it is astounding.  The #803 is anything made with any of the stooges including Ted Healy and the other 6, even a cameo or just an appearance.  Thanks for posting.  I don't have but 2 Derita movies, at one time I was lined up to buy 3 others but fell through. ;)

Offline metaldams

Some of these films include MGM features Ted Healy appeared in and numerous solo appearances from Shemp and the Joes.  While they have substantial roles in some films, other films are just listed for completeness.  I consider myself a pretty big Stooge fan, and to the average person on the street I'm a nut, but even I don't feel the need to see all 803 or whatever it is.  The mileage of others may vary.

If you look around this site, there's a VERY in-depth and organized filmography, amongst other bits of info, so check it out.  Rob and the Team Stooge guys and gals should be commended.
- Doug Sarnecky

ThumpTheShoes

Offline falsealarms

Some of these films include MGM features Ted Healy appeared in and numerous solo appearances from Shemp and the Joes.  While they have substantial roles in some films, other films are just listed for completeness.  I consider myself a pretty big Stooge fan, and to the average person on the street I'm a nut, but even I don't feel the need to see all 803 or whatever it is.  The mileage of others may vary.

If you look around this site, there's a VERY in-depth and organized filmography, amongst other bits of info, so check it out.  Rob and the Team Stooge guys and gals should be commended.

The individual film pages are treasures.

Offline Curly4444

Yes, i saw the filmography. It's very well put together, and very informative. Good to hear your not that nutty to have all 803.  [idiot2] :D

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
even I don't feel the need to see all 803 

Unfortunately, there are some that can never be seen... they're lost to history.

Moe's 1909-1910 Vitagraphs are dust; the MGM shorts HELLO POP, STOP SADIE STOP and JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE are presumed lost; some TV appearances were never kinescoped (i.e., the 1952 Olympics Fund Marathon), kinescopes are lost, some kinescopes were destroyed (*), some videotape is presumed lost, or erased/recycled, etc.

* Example -  When the Dumont Network went out of business, no one was willing to store its library of kinescope films, so they were placed on a barge and dumped in NY Harbor. Besser was on THE ALAN YOUNG SHOW twice; his "Stinky" character was created in sketches on those episodes. NY Harbor's gain is our loss.

Offline metaldams

Good to hear your not that nutty to have all 803.  [idiot2] :D

We all have to pick and choose with our insanity, and The Three Stooges are one of the many patches on the quilt that makes up my insanity.

That was the most poetic thing I've ever posted.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Unfortunately, there are some that can never be seen... they're lost to history.

Moe's 1909-1910 Vitagraphs are dust

Are most of these believed to be John Bunny films?  He was arguably the most popular film comedian in the VERY early days of cinema.  He died in 1915, just in time for Chaplin to make people forget about him.  I think only four of his films survive.

* Example -  When the Dumont Network went out of business, no one was willing to store its library of kinescope films, so they were placed on a barge and dumped in NY Harbor. Besser was on THE ALAN YOUNG SHOW twice; his "Stinky" character was created in sketches on those episodes. NY Harbor's gain is our loss.

20,000 Leagues Under The Harbor - Jacques Cousteau and the Search For Stinky
- Doug Sarnecky

chad2411

Moe's 1909-1910 Vitagraphs are dust; the MGM shorts HELLO POP, STOP SADIE STOP and JAIL BIRDS OF PARADISE are presumed lost; some TV appearances were never kinescoped (i.e., the 1952 Olympics Fund Marathon), kinescopes are lost, some kinescopes were destroyed (*), some videotape is presumed lost, or erased/recycled, etc.

Heck, let's go diving.  Oh wait you said NY Harbor, nevermind, LOL.  Yes, it is a shame and yes I strive to have the other 700 some. But who am I kidding  I'm broke like the rest of Oklahoma. [3stooges]

chad2411

Are most of these believed to be John Bunny films?  He was arguably the most popular film comedian in the VERY early days of cinema.  He died in 1915, just in time for Chaplin to make people forget about him.  I think only four of his films survive.

I thought these were the ones that Moe claims he made at around age 12.  Maybe these were homemovies.

Offline metaldams

I thought these were the ones that Moe claims he made at around age 12.  Maybe these were homemovies.

Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me in a pre BIRTH OF A NATION world, families weren't making home movies.  My understanding is Moe was a child actor is short film comedies.

The problem with this era of film history is so much is lost and undocumented.  Supposedly, my great-grandfather was a cameraman for Fox in the teens when they were on the East coast, and as much as I tried to research this, I've had no luck.  They didn't exactly keep records of these things or have exhaustive film credits the way they do today.  It would be the same with Moe Howard film credits.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

One-reel comedies made at the Vitagraph Studios in Astoria/Queens, where Moe worked as a gopher and ocassional child-actor extra.  They were not home movies.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

In various interviews, particularly Moe's MIKE DOUGLAS appearance in Sept. 1974, Bunny was one of several names mentioned. Also Flora Finch, child actor Kenneth Casey, director Van Dyke Brooks, more.

chad2411

Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me in a pre BIRTH OF A NATION world, families weren't making home movies.  My understanding is Moe was a child actor is short film comedies.

The problem with this era of film history is so much is lost and undocumented.  Supposedly, my great-grandfather was a cameraman for Fox in the teens when they were on the East coast, and as much as I tried to research this, I've had no luck.  They didn't exactly keep records of these things or have exhaustive film credits the way they do today.  It would be the same with Moe Howard film credits.

Dohhhh, my bad, thats funny right there. ???

Offline falsealarms

It would be nice if that 9/74 Mike Douglas appearance came out of the woodwork.

Offline Rich Finegan

I started trying to collect all Three Stooges-related films & TV shows as soon as I got my first VCR in 1982.
It sure was harder back then to find most of the Stooges material beyond the familiar 190 Columbia shorts. And in fact even those were not necessarily common unless one had a local or cable TV station such as WTBS to tape them from or friends in other areas with whom to trade tapes.

But there are some items listed in the filmography that I just don't consider necessary, such as films like "The Story on Page One" and "With Six You Get Eggroll" from which Joe Besser was cut, and "Cinderfella". But they're in the filmography, so should I count them as films I "need" to have all 803? I didn't think so.
Also I have absolutely no interest or desire to collect most of the animated stuff in which Besser did voices such as Houndcats, Jeannie, and especially anything to do with Scooby Doo. So I'm not counting those as items I "need".

A lot of what I'm missing is of course what everyone is missing: the presumed lost films, lost TV shows (especially early stuff), some of the Screen Snapshots, items in the filmography such as unproduced or unreleased films or shows, etc.

This turned out more difficult than I expected, but I tried to take a count.
The total I have seems to be about 670.

Offline metaldams

I started trying to collect all Three Stooges-related films & TV shows as soon as I got my first VCR in 1982.
It sure was harder back then to find most of the Stooges material beyond the familiar 190 Columbia shorts. And in fact even those were not necessarily common unless one had a local or cable TV station such as WTBS to tape them from or friends in other areas with whom to trade tapes.

But there are some items listed in the filmography that I just don't consider necessary, such as films like "The Story on Page One" and "With Six You Get Eggroll" from which Joe Besser was cut, and "Cinderfella". But they're in the filmography, so should I count them as films I "need" to have all 803? I didn't think so.
Also I have absolutely no interest or desire to collect most of the animated stuff in which Besser did voices such as Houndcats, Jeannie, and especially anything to do with Scooby Doo. So I'm not counting those as items I "need".

A lot of what I'm missing is of course what everyone is missing: the presumed lost films, lost TV shows (especially early stuff), some of the Screen Snapshots, items in the filmography such as unproduced or unreleased films or shows, etc.

This turned out more difficult than I expected, but I tried to take a count.
The total I have seems to be about 670.

Wow, 670!  That's a lot.

If I had to venture a guess foe me, I'd say about 250 - 300. 

Now, I admit I'll be moving to a bigger place in a few weeks, so perhaps my attitude on collecting may change, but as of right now, I have too much with too little space.  It all becomes a burden.

My main interest in The Three Stooges is the 190 shorts.  I guarantee 99% of us became fans through that body of work.  The other 1% perhaps through the 6 main Derita features, which I also consider part of the main body of work.  That said, I was so unimpressed with the SNOW WHITE feature that I don't feel the need to own it.  I guess the cartoons and KOOK'S TOUR would be next on what metaldams considers important, but then again, I'm not as fascinated by this era, so I don't feel the need to own everything.  I have bits and pieces of the cartoons and KOOK'S TOUR, so it's enough to make me happy.

As far as Healy era, I love SOUP TO NUTS, though I haven't seen it in 10 years.  I really should buy the DVD.  The MGM stuff is OK, nothing spectacular.  I don't think MGM used the boys as much more than filler.  At least Columbia took great care with their shorts.

I have some Shemp solo shorts, and there's plenty more I haven't seen.  That is perhaps the esoteric era of Stoogedom I'm most interested in, Shemp solo.  The shorts he made for Vitaphone and Columbia are of great interest as well as features for Monogram.  When I do my future Stooge exploring, it will be there.  Films where he's a bit player I'm not so much interested in. 

Besser and Derita solo outside of Columbia?  Unless if it's got Besser in a sailor suit (I joked about the origins of Stinky being lost before, but I seriously would like to see that), I could care less.  That takes it too far for me, but like I said, the mileage of others may vary.

TV appearances?  Why collect when I have youtube.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
My main interest in The Three Stooges is the 190 shorts.  I guarantee 99% of us became fans through that body of work.  The other 1% perhaps through the 6 main Derita features, which I also consider part of the main body of work.  That said, I was so unimpressed with the SNOW WHITE feature that I don't feel the need to own it.  I guess the cartoons and KOOK'S TOUR would be next on what metaldams considers important, but then again, I'm not as fascinated by this era, so I don't feel the need to own everything.  I have bits and pieces of the cartoons and KOOK'S TOUR, so it's enough to make me happy.

As far as Healy era, I love SOUP TO NUTS, though I haven't seen it in 10 years.  I really should buy the DVD.  The MGM stuff is OK, nothing spectacular.  I don't think MGM used the boys as much more than filler.  At least Columbia took great care with their shorts.

I have some Shemp solo shorts, and there's plenty more I haven't seen.  That is perhaps the esoteric era of Stoogedom I'm most interested in, Shemp solo.  The shorts he made for Vitaphone and Columbia are of great interest as well as features for Monogram.  When I do my future Stooge exploring, it will be there.  Films where he's a bit player I'm not so much interested in. 

Besser and Derita solo outside of Columbia?  Unless if it's got Besser in a sailor suit (I joked about the origins of Stinky being lost before, but I seriously would like to see that), I could care less.  That takes it too far for me, but like I said, the mileage of others may vary.

TV appearances?  Why collect when I have youtube.

That basically sums up my own approach.  My primary collecting interests are the core 190 shorts and the DeRita movies, followed by as many of the Shemp solos and Healy era entries as possible, in that order.  Oh, and any Moe/Curly solos that I come across, of course. 

I do have a few DeRita solo shorts (the only one I recall off the top of my head is The Good Bad Egg,) but they're not that memorable.

chad2411

That basically sums up my own approach.  My primary collecting interests are the core 190 shorts and the DeRita movies, followed by as many of the Shemp solos and Healy era entries as possible, in that order.  Oh, and any Moe/Curly solos that I come across, of course. 

I do have a few DeRita solo shorts (the only one I recall off the top of my head is The Good Bad Egg,) but they're not that memorable.

Say, has it ever been said if the Stoogeum has most of the film's or not.  Within the next 2 years I plan to venture up NE to see it. ???