Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Robert Culp, 1930-2010

Offline ProfessorStooge

Hollywood has lost actor Robert Culp. He passed away today at age 79. He is best known for starring in the detective series I Spy with Bill Cosby and as Bob in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.

Offline Stoogy

That's terrible news. I liked Culp a lot. i was just watching some I Spy the other day. I also liked his 3 appearances on The Outer Limits. R.I.P.

Offline Curly4444

Ah, what a shame. I didnt know him from I Spy, but i loved him in Greatest American Hero.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081871/

Offline RICO987

One of my favorite movies where he starred was a made-for-TV movie called “Outrage” made in 1973.  As I recall it was based on a true story of kids terrorizing a neighborhood and Culp’s character finally deals with them.  Worth a look if you ever see it listed for viewing.   

Offline Seamus

Sad news.  My favorite Culp performances were his numerous turns in Columbo (another series I'm working through at the moment).  Peter Falk annoying Robert Culp for an hour-and-a-half makes for excellent television.  I could watch that all day.  In my book he ties with Patrick McGoohan as best-ever Columbo villain. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Being a childhood product of the '60s, I SPY was one of my favorite shows. But like many, I find my thoughts turning to Bob's enjoyable villainous turns on several 1970s episodes of COLUMBO.

I was fortunate to meet him a few times over the past several years, at various celebrity/collector shows. A very friendly guy, who went out of his way to talk to you and learn a little about you. The 2nd time I saw him was at Chiller Theatre in NJ. Strangely, his table wasn't busy, and when I asked him if he had any COLUMBO pics for signing (he didn't), we wound up spending about 10 minutes talking about his work on that show.

He told me a great story about a COLUMBO scene with him trying to golf, while the Lt. asks him questions. Just before shooting the scene, Falk told Culp that he planned to improvise, and to work along with him. Culp said that his character's on-screen agitation was not just the character, but himself, the actor, trying to keep up with Falk. Funny stuff, especially the way Bob told it... I wish I had a videocam with me.

RIP

BOB AND CAROL AND TED AND ALICE (1969) - clip
[youtube=425,350]yjL_gd7Yk20[/youtube]

I SPY (1965) - First episode (embedding disabled)

THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO (1981) - opening titles
[youtube=425,350]0_ZUSQQdoS4[/youtube]

chad2411

Good grief BEASTOOGE, I'd like to crawl around in your brain for a little while.  I am amazed at your knowledge of not only the Stooges but other celebrities.  I don't even know where they hold these conventions (of course I live in TTown).