Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What's next?

Offline Curly4444

So the Three Stooges Collection is almost complete. What would you like to see next come out on DVD? For me I wish Sony would re-release all the movies. All in order in sets, just like the three stooges collection. What do you guys think?

Offline metaldams

So the Three Stooges Collection is almost complete. What would you like to see next come out on DVD? For me I wish Sony would re-release all the movies. All in order in sets, just like the three stooges collection. What do you guys think?

All the movies meaning the shorts?  That would be great!

Realistically though, Stooge solos, Harry Langdon, or Charley Chase seem slightly possible.  Anything else would be a miracle.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

They could start with the Ted Healy movies, and work there way up to movies like Have rocket will travel, the outlaw is coming, etc...

Something like:

Ted Healy and His Stooges (Moe, Larry and Shemp)

Soup to Nuts (September 28)

Ted Healy and His Stooges (Moe, Larry and Curly)

* Nertsery Rhymes (July 6)
    * Beer and Pretzels (August 26)
    * Hello Pop! (September 16)
    * Plane Nuts (October 14)
    * Meet the Baron (October 20) §
    * Dancing Lady (November 24) §
    * Myrt and Marge (December 4) §

* Fugitive Lovers (January 5) §
    * Hollywood on Parade (March 30) §
    * The Big Idea (May 12)
    * Hollywood Party (June 1) §

The Three Stooges: Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe

* Have Rocket, Will Travel (August 1)

* Stop! Look! and Laugh! (July 1)

* Snow White and the Three Stooges (June 21)

* The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (January 26)
    * The Three Stooges in Orbit (July 4)

* The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze (August 21)
    * It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (November 7)
    * 4 for Texas (December 18)

* The Outlaws IS Coming! (January 1)

Offline metaldams

They could start with the Ted Headley movies, and work there way up to movies like Have rocket will travel, the outlaw is coming, etc...

The Healy movies aren't owned by Sony.  Warners has released some of the Healy-MGM stuff throughout various collections.

I imagine a Derita era package is very plausible.

The other stuff, eh, maybe.  ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES and maybe a few others are justifiable for a collection, but with the exception of the film mentioned, the boys didn't really star in much else.  They were just supporting players.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

The Healy movies aren't owned by Sony.  Warners has released some of the Healy-MGM stuff throughout various collections.

I imagine a Derita era package is very plausible.

The other stuff, eh, maybe.  ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES and maybe a few others are justifiable for a collection, but with the exception of the film mentioned, the boys didn't really star in much else.  They were just supporting players.

Yeah, i would mainly be interested with the derita era ones. See below:

Hmm, I didn't know sony didn't own the others.  They could put all of these in two sets. I would think they would sell like hotcakes, well for at least us stooge maniacs.

Offline metaldams

Yeah i would mainly interested with the derita era one. Se below:

* 4 for Texas (December 18)

YES to:

HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL
HERCULES
ORBIT
DAZE
OUTLAWS

-  A very good idea for a set.

STOP LOOK AND LAUGH

- This film can be burned and I could care less.  Has no value whatsoever unless if you're a Paul Winchell fan.  Moe Howard would agree with me.

SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES

- Not owned by Sony.  Don't care for this film, but it has enough Stooges in it for those who do like it.

IT'S A MAD MAD ..........

- Already available, and it's a 5 second Stooge clip in a 3 hour film.  Worth being out on DVD, but for non Stooge reasons.

4 FOR TEXAS

- A Dean Martin film with one good scene with the boys.  I don't think Sony owns this one, I could be wrong.  Doesn't belong in a Stooge collection, though the scene would make a great extra.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

YES to:

HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL
HERCULES
ORBIT
DAZE
OUTLAWS

-  A very good idea for a set.

Man, your reading my mind!! If they released that in one set id be so happy.  :D Would so compliment the three stooges collection sets. Those are the best ones, the others were of little value like you said.

Offline dimelives

Heck, I'm content after having all the shorts, lol. That about does it for me :)

Offline Curly4444

Well who isnt!!  :D but, i want to Have my cake and eat it too.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Soup to Nuts

Fox Studios film, owned by 20th Century-Fox
Available on DVD

Nertsery Rhymes
Beer and Pretzels *
Hello Pop! **
Plane Nuts *
Meet the Baron *
Dancing Lady *
Fugitive Lovers
The Big Idea
Hollywood Party

MGM films, owned by Warner Brothers
* Available on Warner Home Video DVDs
** No prints or negatives known to exist

Myrt and Marge

Universal Studios feature, owned by Universal

Hollywood on Parade

Paramount Studios short; assuming original materials still exist, they are the property of Paramount
Available on numerous public domain tapes and discs

Snow White and the Three Stooges

20th Century-Fox feature, owned by 20th Century-Fox
Available on DVD

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

United Artists feature; owned by MGM/UA
Available on DVD

4 for Texas

Warner Brothers feature; owned by Warner Brothers
Available on DVD

Offline HELLOLARRY

While Rockin' in the Rockies may be technically their first starring film, I think they are used to much better advantage in Time Out For Rhythm (would still make a good double feature disc with their clips from Start Cheering and Captain Hates the Sea as bonus features like they did with the Laurel and Hardy TCM set).  In the former, they are split up, Curly is either ill or just on the verge of being ill (so was I after watching this film), and it's more of a B-Western than a B Stooge film.  In TOFR, they have several great scenes.  IMO, while many praise how well Curly did the Maja routine in Three Little Pirates, you really need to see him do it in Time Out For Rhythm.  There was only a 4/5 year difference and when you compare them, you really see how slow he was at it in the short.  Time Out For Rhythm is going to air on TCM next month (I think on the 6th) so if you haven't checked that one out, do yourself a favor and and see it.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Time Out For Rhythm is going to air on TCM next month (I think on the 6th) so if you haven't checked that one out, do yourself a favor and and see it.

April 12

chad2411

Thanks BEASTOOGE, Very interesting conversation although I too didn't think "Hello Pop" existed in any form today either.

Offline falsealarms

Thanks BEASTOOGE, Very interesting conversation although I too didn't think "Hello Pop" existed in any form today either.

Hello Pop is believed to be a lost film. As is Jailbirds of Paradise.

Offline Larry Larry

My wish list would be:

Volume 9 - The Feature Films - which are the 5 Sony films metaldams mentioned.  Would be great if they licensed the Snow White film (like Fox licensed Blazing Saddles from WB for the Mel Brooks set) and could make it officially all 6.

I too, could care less about Stop, Look, Laugh (and Puke).  It doesn't count. 

Volume 10 - Bonus material - there is tons available.  Some of it's been seen on public domain sets, however, if Sony cleaned it up & marketed it as "bonus" only, everyone who bought all the other volumes would certainly pick up this as well.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline archiezappa

I like the idea of a Feature Films box set as Volume 9.  The best way to do it would be to combine the ideas already presented.

Disc 1:  "Time Out For Rhythm" / "Rockin' In The Rockies" + clips from "The Captain Hates The Sea," "My Sister Eileen," "Start Cheering"

Disc 2:  "Have Rocket, Will Travel" / "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules" + "Slappily Married" (Joe DeRita short)

Disc 3:  "The Three Stooges In Orbit" / "The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze" + "The Good Bad Egg" (Joe DeRita short)

Disc 4:  "The Outlaws Is Coming" + "Wedlock Deadlock" & "Jitter Bughouse" (Joe DeRita shorts)

Disc 5:  The Shemp Howard Series Columbia Short Subjects

Disc 6:  The Joe Besser Series Columbia Short Subjects

I listed them as 6 discs, but this could be divided into 2 separate box sets (i.e. Vols. 9 & 10).  This would be a great way to round out the series, while giving us fans what we want.

Offline metaldams

I like the idea of a Feature Films box set as Volume 9.  The best way to do it would be to combine the ideas already presented.

Disc 1:  "Time Out For Rhythm" / "Rockin' In The Rockies" + clips from "The Captain Hates The Sea," "My Sister Eileen," "Start Cheering"

Disc 2:  "Have Rocket, Will Travel" / "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules" + "Slappily Married" (Joe DeRita short)

Disc 3:  "The Three Stooges In Orbit" / "The Three Stooges Go Around The World In A Daze" + "The Good Bad Egg" (Joe DeRita short)

Disc 4:  "The Outlaws Is Coming" + "Wedlock Deadlock" & "Jitter Bughouse" (Joe DeRita shorts)

Disc 5:  The Shemp Howard Series Columbia Short Subjects

Disc 6:  The Joe Besser Series Columbia Short Subjects

I listed them as 6 discs, but this could be divided into 2 separate box sets (i.e. Vols. 9 & 10).  This would be a great way to round out the series, while giving us fans what we want.

Best idea I've heard for a set in a long time.  It satisfies the completists and doesn't go overboard by including complete features of films the boys are barely in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Now, if we can only get Universal Studios to restore, remaster, release "Myrt And Marge." 

Offline archiezappa

And, from MGM (Warner Bros.), we need a DVD set like this:

Disc 1:  "Fugitive Lovers" + "Nertsery Rhymes" (in technicolor!) & "Beer And Pretzels"

Disc 2:  "Hollywood Party" + "Plane Nuts" & "The Big Idea"

Now, that would be a set worth having!

P.S. But only if all the films are restored and remastered.  Having "Nertsery Rhymes" in color is just like having "Pardon My Backfire" in 3-D:  it's a necessity!

Offline locoboymakesgood

Now, if we can only get Universal Studios to restore, remaster, release "Myrt And Marge." 
I wouldn't be surprised if Universal sells it through Amazon under the Vault Series (similar to the Warner Bros. Archive releases) at some point.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Once in awhile, a pretty good quality bootleg pops up on eBay for about 10 dollars.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, I've watched the bootleg version of "Myrt And Marge."  I just wish they would issue a restored version.  Especially since this is the best feature film with Ted Healy & The Stooges.

Offline Justin T

I wouldn't be surprised if Universal sells it through Amazon under the Vault Series (similar to the Warner Bros. Archive releases) at some point.

That's something I have been hoping for too loco. I bought that bootleg copy of Myrt and Marge off EBay a few years ago
and I was glad I did, I really enjoyed the movie. I'd love to see it get restored and released someday.

Hopefully they will so something with some of the other movies, I'd love to have Time Out For Rhythm and Rockin in the Rockies
on DVD too (I have copies of them thanks to ThumpTheShoes) plus Shemp's Solo Columbia Shorts restored too.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, I think there are still a few things that they can do with the Stooges after Volume 8.  And with the sets doing so well sales wise, why not?  I think they should take full advantage of this.

Offline curlysdame

Once in awhile, a pretty good quality bootleg pops up on eBay for about 10 dollars.

I'd love to see 'Myrt and Marge' on DVD (and restored, at that)!  I bought a bootleg VHS copy on ebay years ago, but the quality is poor.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)