Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 119963

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline falsealarms

In NY, my order with 2 day shipping was 26.97. If I bought it in a store at list price + tax, there would be little or no difference.

Offline archiezappa

I'm going to take my chances with Walmart here in Athens, Alabama.  They've been 100% so far.  I've bought every set on the day of release at Walmart.  They've just got to do it one more time...

xraffle

In NY, my order with 2 day shipping was 26.97. If I bought it in a store at list price + tax, there would be little or no difference.

When I don't order these at Amazon, I usually get them at J&R on the first day. They always have it on sale for $19.99.

And for the money I saved, it's worth the wait. I got too much on my plate lately that waiting an extra week or two doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.

xraffle

I actually tried checking out with 2 day shipping (but didn't order) just to see what the total would come out to. And this is what I got:

Items:      $16.99
Shipping & Handling:    $7.98
Pre-order Guarantee:    -$0.00

Total Before Tax:    $24.97
Estimated Tax:    $2.21
Order Total: $27.18

:o

Therefore, in my case, it's best that I do one of the following:
-Be patient: order at Amazon with Free Shipping and save $8-9
-Get it right away: buy at J&R and save $5-6.

Offline Curly4444

The 2-day shipping isnt worth it to me. I live close to an amazon distribution center, and my stuff gets here real quick with the free shipping. FUC* 27.18!!

Offline dimelives

Yeah, just go with the free shipping. Won't take THAT long, I'm sure. And will be worth the savings :)

Offline Snard

Yeah, just go with the free shipping. Won't take THAT long, I'm sure. And will be worth the savings :)
I've purchased all of the volumes from Amazon, and have gotten free shipping (I bought 2 sets each time, one for me & one for my son, so the order is over the $25 threshold). In almost every case, they have shipped the sets the day before the release date, and I've gotten them within 1 or 2 days.

Another bonus with Amazon is that if you pre-order, and the price drops after you place the order, they automatically adjust your order total to the new price (and, it stays at the low price, even if the price goes back up later). I've gotten additional savings on at least 2 of the sets.

And no, I don't own stock in Amazon, just a satisfied fan.

xraffle

What really ruined it all is this stupid tax. We never used to get taxed here in NY when ordering at Amazon, which is why I used to love it. But a few years ago, they changed it and now we pay tax on everything. And it was New York that did it, not Amazon. Amazon was required, by law, to start charging tax on items shipped to NY.

Offline falsealarms

What really ruined it all is this stupid tax. We never used to get taxed here in NY when ordering at Amazon, which is why I used to love it. But a few years ago, they changed it and now we pay tax on everything. And it was New York that did it, not Amazon. Amazon was required, by law, to start charging tax on items shipped to NY.

"NY" and "tax" go hand in hand.

Offline dimelives

Just wait til the administration's wonderful upcoming VAT tax >:( Don't even get me started...

Offline dimelives

New pic, from ShopKnuckleheads.com:

So what you guys think from that^? It look 2-slim-case thin? Or 3? Compared to...

I sure hope it's 2-case thin! Just for my continuity pickiness =P

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
New pic, from ShopKnuckleheads.com:

That is not a new pic... it's the photo-shopped preliminary artwork.

The final artwork was released a couple weeks ago, and can be seen at the top of this page.

Offline dimelives

Well the preliminary pic we had on here, as far as I recall, didn't have a diagonal view of the volume. What I'm looking for here is case width. So, if anyone's seen a diagonal shot of the official artwork, I'd love to see!

Offline dimelives

Ok, here we go. This appears to be the new artwork, with the finalized shots of Joe on the side and all, as well as an angular shot of the spine (from Walmart.com):

Offline Curly4444

Looks like the same thickness to me dimelives.

Just pre-ordered mine a few days ago. I cant wait.

Offline Paul Allen

Is it June 1st, yet?!  I'm about to wet my pants thinking about it!

I have decided to protest against the month of May since it unfairly stands in the way of Volume 8 being released.
From now until I actually get my hands on the Volume 8 discs, I am boycotting my normal life!

I will not shower or bathe.
I will not brush my teeth or floss.
I will not go to work.
I will not eat.
I will stand on street corners with a sign in my hand that reads: VOLUME 8 IS NEAR! ARE YOU READY?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Ummm...  where do you live, Paul?  Nothing personal, but I think I'd like to avoid the area for a month or so.   ;D

Offline Curly4444

Ummm...  where do you live, Paul?  Nothing personal, but I think I'd like to avoid the area for a month or so.   ;D

I think he may be posting this from the Baldy View Sanitarium??  ;D [pie]

Offline Paul Allen

Protesting (or boycotting) the month of May makes more sense than protesting against all things "Arizona" related!  I'm jus' sayin'. :police:

I might even have my utilities disconnected. That'll teach May a lesson!!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I am looking forward to this volume, primarily to refamiliarize myself with these later shorts, most of which I have not watched for years. I have all on home video and 16mm, but generally do not take them out for viewing. And, I admit that I have always enjoyed a few of the Bessers, like MUSCLE UP A LITTLE CLOSER, QUIZ WHIZZ and OILS WELL THAT ENDS WELL.

The annual Fan Club Meetings provide the opportunity to screen some of these later shorts, to introduce costar guests like Arline Hunter (OUTER SPACE JITTERS) and Diana Darrin (A MERRY MIX-UP). In each case, the film room was filled, and the audience laughed. No, it wasn't the response you'd get from HOI POLLOI or BRIDELESS GROOM, but the laughter was loud and frequent.

This year we screened SPACE SHIP SAPPY (1957), before introducing costar Marilyn Hanold. One of the longest and loudest laughs came when Besser ad-libs a retaliation to a Moe-slap, roundhousing a smack to the back of Moe's head, proclaiming "What'd you do that for!!!?" The entire short was consistently well-received.

There's a lot of good stuff coming up in Vol. 8. There's a lot of crap too, like SWEET AND HOT. None of it is by any means vintage Curly or Shemp. But there's still a lot of funny.

Due much to feedback and fan-energy seen during last week's Fan Club Meeting, I am looking forward to Volume 8.

Offline falsealarms

For me, the most memorable bit from SPACE SHIP SAPPY was the reference to Elvis.

Offline Paul Allen

Space Ship Sappy - "rock 'n' roll / Elvis Presley" at 0:54 mark - Click

Offline Rich Finegan

For me, the most memorable bit from SPACE SHIP SAPPY was the reference to Elvis.
For those who weren't there and didn't hear her comments on her life and career, including working with The Stooges, SPACE SHIP SAPPY supporting actress Marilyn Hanold told us at this year's Fan Club Meeting of another Elvis connection involving her and The Stooges. She told us that she dated Elvis a few years after being in this Stooges film, and that he was excited to learn that she had worked with The Stooges and wanted to know all about it. Turns out apparently Elvis was a Stooges fan!
I'm sure that if he ever saw SPACE SHIP SAPPY he had to have been amused at the mention of his name in the film.