The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 114518

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline falsealarms

Yes! Finally, VOLUME 8!!!

This is the way I hope the 3 discs are arranged:
Disc 1 - The 12 remaining real Shemp shorts -1955 "FLING IN THE RING" thru 1956 "FOR CRIMIN' OUT LOUD". Don't taint this disc with the Fake Shemp debacles!
Disc 2 - 10 shorts (The 4 Fake Shemp ones followed by the first 6 Joe Besser shorts).
Disc 3 - 10 shorts (The remaining Joe Besser shorts).

I'm also glad we're getting 3 discs for the same price as the other volumes, but rightfully so when you think about it.
I believe Sony realizes that Joe is not very popular with the general buying public and there was quite a lot of stock footage used to make the rest of the Shemp shorts (many remakes).

Does anyone agree with me about Disc 1?

Paul Allen

Sounds reasonable to me.

Offline archiezappa

I can't believe it!  Every Stooge short restored!  On DVD!  Thanks Sony!  This is totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Larry Larry

Chiming in here with a "Thanks Sony" myself.

I've already, literally, placed my order.

Many of us were very critical of the older "Themed" sets.  With support from the fan community, Sony listened.  And I have to think they are happy with the sales.  We appreciate the restoration, the time and the investment they made. 

And if nothing else, they owed it to the Stooges themselves for providing countless millions to the studio for nearly 80 years.  Thanks Sony.  A very nice job.

[grinning] [yay] [cheer] [angel8] [grinning] :angel: [cool2]
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Paul Allen

This year, May 31 will sort of be like Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

For the last few years, anytime I go to a restaurant with my brother-in-law (and there's a wait), we always tell them our last name is Besser, just for kicks. A few minutes later it's fun to here them call out, "Besser for four!"  He's 55 and I'm 51. We still have fun acting like Stooges sometimes. He loves Joey Besser just like I do because we realize that some of his Stooge shorts are so bad, they're great!!  If only Moe had been allowed to knock him on his ass just one good time!!

I hope "HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL" will be released on DVD sometimes this year.

Does anyone on this forum own the 2 RHINO sets of the cartoons?  Are they worth getting? At least the cartoons do have the actual voices of the boys! That's a plus isn't it?

Thanks, Paul Allen

Offline metaldams

This year, May 31 will sort of be like Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

For the last few years, anytime I go to a restaurant with my brother-in-law (and there's a wait), we always tell them our last name is Besser, just for kicks. A few minutes later it's fun to here them call out, "Besser for four!"  He's 55 and I'm 51. We still have fun acting like Stooges sometimes. He loves Joey Besser just like I do because we realize that some of his Stooge shorts are so bad, they're great!!  If only Moe had been allowed to knock him on his ass just one good time!!

I hope "HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL" will be released on DVD sometimes this year.

Does anyone on this forum own the 2 RHINO sets of the cartoons?  Are they worth getting? At least the cartoons do have the actual voices of the boys! That's a plus isn't it?

Thanks, Paul Allen

There's a second volume of Stooge cartoons on DVD?  Well, I looked it up, you're right!

What's sad is I've had volume one for years and never even knew volume two existed.  Oh well, live and learn.

If you like the cartoons, Vol. 1 is worth getting.  They look great and are presented well.  Rhino always puts out a good product.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Offline falsealarms

Has Sony's press release been issued yet?

I don't think so. If it was, you can be sure it would be posted here.

xraffle

Has Sony's press release been issued yet?

No, not yet. When it gets issued, BeAStooge will update the first post of this thread and include it there.

Offline Paul Allen

The official announcement (of Volume 8) from SONY will be much, much bigger and more important than:

The U.S. Declaration of Independence in 1776.
The ending of the Civil War in 1865.
The end of World War I in 1918.
The end of World War II in 1945.
Elvis Presley's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1956.
The assassinations of Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, and John F. Kennedy combined!
The Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964.
The St. Louis Cardinals' butt kickin' of New York Yankees in '64 World Series.
The St. Louis Cardinals' slaying of Boston Red Sox in '67 World Series.
The Detroit Tigers' lucky defeat of St. Louis Cardinals in '68 World Series.
Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special on NBC-TV.... well, not really as big and important as this, but I just wanted to mention the King's name again (just like Larry Fine does in "Space Ship Sappy"!).
Neil Armstrong's first step on the Moon.
The gathering at Woodstock.
The Miracle Mets winning the '69 World Series.
The Watergate scandel.
The final episode of M*A*S*H on CBS.
The St. Louis Cardinals' hammering of Milwaukee Brewers in the '82 World Series.
The unfortunate win by Kansas City Royals over St. Louis Cardinals in '85 World Series.
The unfortunate victory by Minnesota Twins over St. Louis Cardinals in '87 World Series.
The win by Boston Red Sox over the sleeping St. Louis Cardinals in 2004 World Series.
The St. Louis Cardinals' man-handling of Detroit Tigers in '06 World Series.
The recent signing of the bogus Health Care Bill. [pie]
And yes, even bigger and more important than Sony's announcements of The Three Stooges Collection, Volumes 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 combined!

Joe Besser means more to show business comedy than:
The New York Yankees and L.A. Dodgers to Major League Baseball
The Boston Celtics and L.A. Lakers to the NBA
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys to the NFL
Washington D.C. to the United States (that's for sure).
The...... enough! I'm gettin' tired.

Thank you, SONY for Volume 8!!!!!!!!

Paul Allen

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Besser-Mania is running wild.  [rotflmao]

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Paul, I agree with your post except for the '04 World Series part.  That's sacred ground you're treading on, brother...and how DARE you mention '67?   :o

I can't wait to get Vol. 8 in the Palma my hands!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Allen

metaldams,  Your Sox really, really got the best of my Birds in '04. Ouch!!

".... Palma my hands!"  -  I LIKE THAT! :laugh:

Offline metaldams

metaldams,  Your Sox really, really got the best of my Birds in '04. Ouch!!

".... Palma my hands!"  -  I LIKE THAT! :laugh:

We were a few years due.  I always say I wish my grandfather could've been alive in '04.

Speaking of Joe Palma, a little fun and ironic trivia fact.  In the Columbia remake of PUNCH DRUNKS called A HIT WITH A MISS, Shemp plays the Curly role.  His opponent in the ring?  Joe Palma!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Allen

metaldams,  Thank you for telling me that about Joe Palma. I have never been completely sure what he looks like, therefore have never known which characters he played in some of The Stooges shorts. Do you know for sure any other characters he played in some of the other shorts?
In the past, when I would Google "Joe Palma bio" (or some other way to find an internet picture), it never showed an up-close facial photo of him.

So sorry about your grandfather.  I also wish he could've been alive (& healthy) in '04, '07 and now

Paul Allen

Offline Paul Allen

Offline Paul Allen

Never mind.... I found it  -   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037781/
Do you have that Columbia short?

What Three Stooges shorts did Joe Palma appear in to where his face can be easily seen?  What scenes?

Offline Smaug

The official announcement (of Volume 8) from SONY will be much, much bigger and more important than:

The St. Louis Cardinals' man-handling of Detroit Tigers in '06 World Series.

You forgot the '68 World Series.........

Offline Shemp_Diesel

What Three Stooges shorts did Joe Palma appear in to where his face can be easily seen?  What scenes?

Joe Palma was one of Kenneth McDonald's henchmen in Studio Stoops. He has the line "he hit me over the head with a grand piano."
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
have never known which characters he played in some of The Stooges shorts. Do you know for sure any other characters he played in some of the other shorts?

From this site's Cast Database...
Joe Palma

"A HIT WITH A MISS"  What is that?

From this site's Filmography...
A HIT WITH A MISS (1945)

Offline Paul Allen

Smaug, In what way did I "forget" the '68 World Series?  Go back and read my silly post again.

Thanks Shemp_Diesel and BeAStooge for the Joe Palma database information.

Paul Allen

Offline archiezappa

In the short "I'm A Monkey's Uncle," Joe Palma is one of the guys that the Stooges are fighting by using a tree branch as a catapult.  They throw a nest full of eggs and hit Joe Palma right in the face.

Offline archiezappa

Offline Stooges#1

Thats a nice cover. Its nice of Sony to have a full picture of Joe considering its his only release and Shemp has had a large image for the last 2 releases. I would have preferred it this way.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah.  54 years ago he helped them out by fulfilling their contract with Columbia.  Who knew that all these years later his picture would be on a major DVD release.  Probably the biggest acknowledgement of his contributions, ever!