Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 114537

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline JazzBill

Well, I'm 51 and I've never been drunk in my life. In order for me to correct "Husbands Beware", I suppose I'll have to end my 51 year streak! BRING ON THE BOOZE!! (not)

Heck, I think I'll go watch Beer Barrel Polecats now!

Well, I guess my remedy isn't for everyone.  :laugh:
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Benno1979

I'm hiding in the corner because I did not mean to start some big debate on "Husbands Beware!"  However, since I mention it ... does anyone think that there will be improvement on that short when released on Blu-Ray?!?!   >:D

Just kidding!!!!

Offline Paul Allen

Benno1979, You ain't hidin' in the corner! We see ya' over there! Now take this  [pie] you knucklehead!

When "Elvis On Tour" is releaesed on DVD in August, I wonder if they'll include the corrected version of "Husbands Beware" as a bonus?! 

Huh? What?

Offline Stooge-Adam

Well I just finished watching Volume 8. I'm proud to have this in my collection and I actually like Joe Besser. He was a funny Stooge. Was he Curly? No. Was he Shemp? No. But was he funny nevertheless? Yes.

I noticed in "Triple Crossed" that we got to see and even hear Shemp again. The scene where Shemp is in the chimney, we see his hand pointing for Moe. When Moe shoots the gun, we hear Shemp yelp. Also, in the hallway scene as Larry walks by, the door opens and it's Shemp dressed as Santa Claus who gets Larry's attention.

My favorite Joe shorts are:
A Merry Mix-Up
Rusty Romeos
Oil's Well That Ends Well

My least favorite Joe shorts are:
Hoofs and Goofs
Horsing Around
Sweet and Hot

Offline ProfessorStooge

I spent several days watching all 8 volumes before giving an opinion. While a marathon of all 190 shorts was enjoyable, the 8th volume is by far the weakest of the Stooges' Columbia output. This is mostly attributed to Besser's performance as a Stooge. He paled in comparison to Curly and Shemp in terms of receiving slapstick (due to his contract). The only short of his I liked was Flying Saucer Daffy, because he got to dish out a good portion of slapstick.

Offline 12Medbe

I found "Rumpus In the Harem" to be a bit of a weak Joe Palma short.

Offline QuinceHead

I found "Rumpus In the Harem" to be a bit of a weak Joe Palma short.

Such a statement presumes the existence of decent Joe Palma shorts . . .  ;)

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline ProfessorStooge

There is one question I have about the Joe Besser era: Why is the short Sweet and Hot so heavily criticized? Besser himself even described the film as a "stinker."

Offline Paul Allen

Another comment (please) concerning the audio/video of "Husbands Beware" -

I own a cheap "GO VIDEO" brand VHS/DVD player here at the house and it was on this player that I noticed the sound being off with the video (a couple of weeks ago).

This past weekend I watched "Husbands Beware" on a "TOSHIBA" brand DVD player, and the sound & video were in alignment! 

Thanks, Paul Allen
p.s. - There were several stinkers on Volume 8 (not just "Sweet And Hot"). The biggest fault with the remakes (using stock footage) was the fact that on some of them, there was more stock footage used than newly filmed material!!

Also, I do not appreciate these matted-widescreen versions at all.  I'm glad they weren't originally shown up-side-down in theaters!!

I actually like Joe Besser. He was a funny Stooge. Was he Curly? No. Was he Shemp? No. But was he funny nevertheless? Yes.

My favorite Joe shorts are:
A Merry Mix-Up
Rusty Romeos
Oil's Well That Ends Well

My least favorite Joe shorts are:
Hoofs and Goofs
Horsing Around
Sweet and Hot
Boy, does that sound like my opinion. Are you sure you're not me?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Rich Finegan

Well, since both of you have listed A MERRY MIX-UP as top favorite, maybe you're two of a set of long-lost brothers!

Offline vomit

Such a statement presumes the existence of decent Joe Palma shorts . . .  ;)

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Yep.  Those were horrible.  Even worse than the Joe shorts (there were a few good ones).  But can you imagine how Moe felt???  I mean his brother just died, and they are doing crappy remakes?  Why?  Did there contract stipulate this?  And if so, Cohn, should have been ashamed of himself (I doubt if he was though).  Some things are truly wrong.
Specto Caelum!

Offline 12Medbe

Yep.  Those were horrible.  Even worse than the Joe shorts (there were a few good ones).  But can you imagine how Moe felt???  I mean his brother just died, and they are doing crappy remakes?  Why?  Did there contract stipulate this?  And if so, Cohn, should have been ashamed of himself (I doubt if he was though).  Some things are truly wrong.

I bet you Moe felt even horrible when they had to explain the absense of Shemp in the Palma shorts.

Offline Stooge-Adam

LOL, I don't know. I think we're different people. I guess there's no real way to ever find out. ;)

In the past at message boards, if someone will bring up an old thread, I'll read it unaware that it's old. Then I'll read a post and think to myself "Yes, that's EXACTLY how I feel. Finally someone gets me!" Then I look at the avatar, and realize it was me, lol.

Offline 12Medbe

So are the DVD's like "Curly Classics" "Healthy Wealthy & Dumb" still worth it, even though all the shorts are avaliable on DVD's?

Offline ProfessorStooge

I believe that DVDs like "Curly Classics" are not worth it. Now that all 190 shorts are on DVD in chronological order, those particular DVDs aren't worth owning. I had the "Curly Classics" DVD at one point, but I sold it at a yard sale. At the time, I was hoping for all 190 shorts to be on DVD, like many Stooge fans. Now that wish has come true. I still have the VHS tapes that Columbia Tristar released from 1993-1996 and still haven't decided their fate.

Offline QuinceHead

Yes, the Stooges' contract with Columbia still had four shorts to be delivered after Shemp's sudden and untimely death -- and this must've been the most expedient way of doing that.  (As Cartman from South Park would say, "I'm tryin' to make the best of a bad situation!!!")  I don't know if the decision was Jules White's, or somebody else's -- does anyone know??

But yeah, it does seem like Moe ages visibly from Rumpus in the Harem to Commotion in the Ocean -- and who could blame him??  As you say, Shemp had just died -- the second of two Howard brothers -- and while the show must go on, it couldn't have been easy by any stretch.

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline falsealarms

So are the DVD's like "Curly Classics" "Healthy Wealthy & Dumb" still worth it, even though all the shorts are avaliable on DVD's?

No. They're worthless.

Offline stooge1029

Yeah it comes down to the question would you pay 15 bucks for 5 episodes or 25 episodes?

Offline Lefty

I watched "Husbands Beware" earlier in the week, and I didn't really notice any difference between the words and the lip movements.  What I should have done afterwards was watch that "Married With Children" episode where Lu Leonard plays an old librarian.  She sure had the same personality in both shows, if different hair color.  But then, seeing her twice on a work night would have led to nightmares.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Yeah it comes down to the question would you pay 15 bucks for 5 episodes or 25 episodes?
...and inferior quality and edited shorts (i.e. Three Little Beers).
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Paul Allen

Another question  -  In order to own all the Three Stooges shorts in their full-screen versions, are the bootleg DVDs worth owning?  I'm just askin'.

Several of the matted wide-screen versions on Volumes 7 and 8 are too tight (close-up). It's especially noticeable with the altered stock-footage.  I'm just being truthful.

ThumpTheShoes

Another question  -  In order to own all the Three Stooges shorts in their full-screen versions, are the bootleg DVDs worth owning?  I'm just askin'.

Several of the matted wide-screen versions on Volumes 7 and 8 are too tight (close-up). It's especially noticeable with the altered stock-footage.  I'm just being truthful.

Opinion? No. Especially in the Besser dept. Either you get super-crappy picture or commercial fades, lousy sound and network logos (especially Spike on the newer sets).