Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 116264

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline OldFred

Great cover, love the colour they've gone with this time.

Like some others, I'm not the too keen on the main picture - kinda accentuates Larry's age and doesn't do a lot for Joe. Is it me or were the publicity shots (what few there were) for the final Shorts fairly amateurish compared to earlier ones? Just another example of the "no one really cares anymore" vibe that comes through in some of the films, I guess...

I'd probably have chosen either of these for the cover:

While they're good alternatives, I don't think either would get pass the PTA.  :-\

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline falsealarms

Note it says Volume 8 "continues" this series as opposed to "concludes."

Offline Curly4444

With all the money their making, Sony would be stupid to stop now!! **go derita movies go**

Offline metaldams

Perhaps it's just a press release error or they're not giving out the proper order, but am I the only one who notices the shorts are not listed in chronological order?  For example, GUNS A POPPIN is not the first Besser short and there is a Shemp or two listed in between some Bessers.  This may just be the way the press release is compiled, but if what's listed is the order, then I guess I'll be skipping around more and using the "play all" option less.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Perhaps it's just a press release error

The press release copywriter alphabetized some of the titles.

The discs will be in chronological order.

Offline metaldams

The press release copywriter alphabetized some of the titles.

The discs will be in chronological order.

Thanks!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline dimelives

Note it says Volume 8 "continues" this series as opposed to "concludes."
Yeah, I noticed that too. With the exception of the intro line "... back one more time", this press release didn't sound like much of a conclusion. But this IS the last of the shorts, yeah?... Anything else is movies, etc., isn't it?

Offline falsealarms

Yeah, I noticed that too. With the exception of the intro line "... back one more time", this press release didn't sound like much of a conclusion. But this IS the last of the shorts, yeah?... Anything else is movies, etc., isn't it?

Or the solos.

Offline lamocu

So glad there's finally a official press release!

Although it would've been cool if it were announced on April Fools Day!  :D

xraffle

They'll probably make another volume with the 5 DeRita flicks.

Offline Paul Allen

Another volume as in "Volume 9"?  No, no, no. The purpose of the eight "Collection" volumes was/is to focus only on The Three Stooges short subject movies released from 1934 to 1959.

All the 1960's Three Stooges films (with DeRita) have already been released on DVD and look fine.

Hopefully 1959's "HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL" will be released on DVD sometime soon. It's not a very good movie, but I would like to have it on DVD.

Offline Paul Allen

As of April 1, 2010 - Amazon.com is offering Volume 8 1955-1959 for only $16.99 each!  Order 2 and shipping is free!

Paul Allen

Offline Curly4444

Yes, but to us people who didn't buy them them, it would be nice to have them all in a set. Also it will be cheaper if they charge the same price as the collections sets. I'll take $19.99(remastered) over $50+(non-remastered) any day. As for continuity of the collection sets, all they have to do is, don't call it vol.9. Just name it the three stooges movie set.

Offline Paul Allen

Curly4444,  Please help me to understand your reasoning. What are you talking about when you say, ".... over $50+ (non-remastered)...." ?

All of The Three Stooges 1960's movie DVDs can easily be found for much less than $19.99 each on Amazon.com, DeepDiscount.com, and/or other similar websites and they look and sound fine. Why do they need to be remastered?

Thanks - Paul Allen

Offline Paul Allen

Curly4444,  On Amazon.com you can get all 5 of the 1960's Joe DeRita/Three Stooges movies for less than $10 each. Take advantage of these great deals if you don't already have these movies!

Click the " ___new from " sections for the best deals. Even if you pay $2.98 shipping for each one, that's still less than the $12.99 each if you order directly from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1270179684/ref=sr_pg_2?ie=UTF8&keywords=The%20Three%20Stooges&bbn=130&d=1&rh=n%3A130%2Ck%3AThe%20Three%20Stooges&page=2

Just trying to point you in the right direction and help you save some bucks, my friend!

Paul Allen

Offline Curly4444

What i was saying is, if they put all the 5 movies in one set, would make it cheap. So that would be like $3.99 a movie(5 X 3.99 = 19.99). If you buy them separately its 5 X $9.99Aprox., which would equal $50 total*.  Also it would be just cool to have them in a matching set next to my Three Stooges Collection.

What i meant by remastered is, they would clean them up a bit. Kinda like they did on the three stooges collection sets. Ive seen the versions your talking about, and they were pretty good. Though a little remastering couldn't hurt. I'm not really concerned about that, i just would like them cheap in a cool matching set that compliments my Three Stooges Collection.

So to sum it up:

One remastered set containing all the movies for $19.99 or each movie purchased separately totaling $50.00*. Which would you prefer?

PS: Yes i know you were just trying to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Before all you people point it out, yes i know "Have Rocket, Will Travel" isn't available. This is just theoretical talk.

Offline Stooges#1

As of April 1, 2010 - Amazon.com is offering Volume 8 1955-1959 for only $16.99 each!  Order 2 and shipping is free!

Paul Allen

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered mine, I have never pre-ordered something two months before release but I had to take advantage of that price. 32 shorts for $16.99 is a must have.

Offline HELLOLARRY

I don't know what the plans are (if any) to re-release the 60s features and wonder if they are handled separately from Have Rocket Will Travel since the latter wasn't produced by Normandy....

If someone is interested in the 60s features, I believe WalMart has a collection in a single disc case (not sure how many discs inside) which has Hercules, In Orbit, and Outlaws Is Coming (I think).  Not sure why Around the World in a Daze isn't included and I've personally never seen this disc.  A friend of mine has it though.

Offline archiezappa

I never bought any of the previous versions of the DVD's.  I would love to have The Three Stooges Collection: The Feature Films.  That would be something good to compliment the new sets, instead of getting those old DVD's.  They don't have to be remastered, just re-released with the new sets in mind.  Then, Curly-Joe DeRita could have a box set with his picture on it.   ;)

Offline ProfessorStooge

A box set of the 5 Curly-Joe features would be an excellent product. Although these days, retailers have been selling movie collections (double and triple features) in cases that could hold one DVD. That way, people can increase space on a DVD rack. If that's the case, then the films would be put on double-sided DVDs. I wonder if Sony would include Stop, Look, and Laugh in the set, bringing the total up to 6.

Offline archiezappa

A box set of the 5 Curly-Joe features would be an excellent product. Although these days, retailers have been selling movie collections (double and triple features) in cases that could hold one DVD. That way, people can increase space on a DVD rack. If that's the case, then the films would be put on double-sided DVDs. I wonder if Sony would include Stop, Look, and Laugh in the set, bringing the total up to 6.

Actually, I think that's a great idea.  But, I think it should be 2 discs and in a package similar to the first 8 volumes.  6 movies in one box.  If they included "Stop! Look! And Laugh!" it wouldn't hurt my feelings, none.  I actually liked it when I watched it.  And who cares, as long as they include "Have Rocket, Will Travel."  I'd like to have all 6.

Offline falsealarms

Who says Besser won't sell?

Amazon: Sales rank 201

DVD Empire: 33 (11th among pre-orders)

Speaking of the latter, they have rear box art -

And updated FRONT art with new side pics

Offline Paul Allen

falsealarms,  Thanks for the updated artwork of Volume 8! It looks great!!! The more I look at the main photo on the front, the more I realize there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's a picture that I had never seen before and it is rather humorous.

I ordered 3 sets from Amazon.com for $16.99 each (one for my brother-in-law, one for my brother, and one for me). I'm really looking forward to the fun of seeing these and there may be a few that I've never seen before.

Paul Allen