Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 114543

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Curly4444

Offline Paul Allen

Goodness gracious, guys. Even baby brother Curley would've gotten the "asterisk" joke!  Well.... maybe.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Wait a minute.... "A HIT WITH A MISS"  What is that?
One of Shemp's Columbia solos.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Offline RICO987

On this website I seem to notice there are many who “do not fully appreciate Joe Besser”.  As I have noted on earlier posts of mine, he was widely known and well liked by the general public during the 1960s for his other television roles.  I suspect Joe Besser is more marketable to the more casual 3 Stooges fan than many Stooges fans on this site might believe.  As such, Besser gets a cover shot.  Also, I might guess that Sony thought it only fair to give him at least the one cover when Curly and Shemp did get all of the others.

As with everyone else, I like Curly and Shemp far, far better than Joe Besser.  But I am in the camp that believes some knock him more than he deserves.     

Offline RICO987

I forgot to add in my last post, I am glad that Besser gets a cover shot.  But there had to be a better picture of all three of them than the one they will apparently use.       

Offline Paul Allen

Aren't you two somewhat delayed a day or so with your responses concerning "A Hit With A Miss"?  I'm already on top of it now.... but thanks, anyway.

Back to Volume 8: The fact that all of Joey Besser's shorts (and most of Shemp's final ones) have never been released on VHS and/or DVD before, makes Volume 8 the most unique volume of all.
As far back as the release of Volume 2, I truly felt that SONY would do the right thing and release all 190 (otherwise, why would they have started this chronological "Collection" project to begin with?). There were many fans doubting not only the release possibility of a Vol. 8, but Vol. 7 as well (Remember?).

THANKS AGAIN, SONY!

Paul Allen

Offline Paul Allen

RICO987,  I understand wholeheartedly what you're saying about Joe's popularity (and about the people who think he doesn't have much of it).
You are 100% right concerning the cover photo.

SONY!  If it's not too late, please use a better picture of JOE, Moe and Larry on the cover!

Offline dimelives

SONY!  If it's not too late, please use a better picture of JOE, Moe and Larry on the cover!

And use only two slim cases instead of three for total volume box conformity! ;D

Offline Paul Allen

dimelives,  Yes, I would like to see that, too.

Slim case #1 - 1 disc with the final 12 (real) Shemp shorts.

Slim case #2 - 2 discs with the 4 fake Shemp, 16 Joe.

How do we send a message to SONY about these things before it's too late?
This is important stuff we're talking about here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dimelives

Eh, unfortunately, they can't really accept outside unsolicited ideas for these kinds of things. They have honestly probably already made up their minds about everything. Just gotta hope that they might peek in on us here and bend toward the niche demand.

Offline Paul Allen

I can't wait to hear this classic and ultra witty dialogue: "You big youuu!"

And we can't forget this unforgetable classic line: "Stoppp it!"

If June 1st doesn't hurry-up and get here, I think I'll have a nervous breakdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the precious name of all things that are good, can't we somehow just skip April and May??!!

I've already started having sweet dreams about the intros  -  "Helloo, Hellooo, Helloooo.....  Hello"

Life doesn't get any better than this, my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ProfessorStooge

Glad to see a preliminary photo cover. I wonder what shade of green that is. When I buy this volume, I will begin a Stooge marathon. There will be a total of 17 DVDs, so it will take a little over 2 weeks to see all 190 of them if I watch one disc per day. Now we must wait for Have Rocket, Will Travel to get a DVD release.

Offline Stooges#1

And use only two slim cases instead of three for total volume box conformity! ;D

I'll bet you the $60 billion that I don't have that volume 8 will be the exact same size as the other volumes. That is the size that Sony are releasing their 3 disc dvd sets these days.

There will be two slim cases, one holding one disc and the other holding two discs in the slipcover (they wont go one double-slim case as it would cost more and since they dont have to, why would they?).

One of the cases will look like this (Just an example, the slots would probably lineup closer to eachother): http://www.thetechgeek.com/images/product_photos/SDVDCASE2.JPG

Offline dimelives

I'll bet you the $60 billion that I don't have that volume 8 will be the exact same size as the other volumes. That is the size that Sony are releasing their 3 disc dvd sets these days.

There will be two slim cases, one holding one disc and the other holding two discs in the slipcover (they wont go one double-slim case as it would cost more and since they dont have to, why would they?).

One of the cases will look like this (Just an example, the slots would probably lineup closer to eachother): http://www.thetechgeek.com/images/product_photos/SDVDCASE2.JPG

I sure hope you're right! This would make me most happy :) Even if it is a smaller detail. I'm just picky, what can I say? =P And with this collection having been so near-perfect thus far, would be a shame for something little like that to bug me in the end lol.

Offline GentWithoutCents

Great cover, love the colour they've gone with this time.

Like some others, I'm not the too keen on the main picture - kinda accentuates Larry's age and doesn't do a lot for Joe. Is it me or were the publicity shots (what few there were) for the final Shorts fairly amateurish compared to earlier ones? Just another example of the "no one really cares anymore" vibe that comes through in some of the films, I guess...

I'd probably have chosen either of these for the cover:

Offline Lefty

Even though I've never been a big fan of Joe Besser, I am definitely looking forward to seeing all of his episodes complete and uncut.  The last time I saw "Horsing Around" was during a rain delay when the Phillies were supposed to play the White Sox at Comiskey Park (or whatever it's called now) in 2004, as the Stooges were shown by that channel that had the Phillies then.  And I do want to see "A Merry Mix-Up", probably my favorite of the Joe shows.

Offline Gritto RhumBoogie

Interesting to see that the main front picture has Besser, not Shemp.  I think they should have the main picture be with Shemp and the small head at the bottom be Besser.
That will be all, Ralph.

Offline dimelives

Interesting to see that the main front picture has Besser, not Shemp.  I think they should have the main picture be with Shemp and the small head at the bottom be Besser.

To be fair (even though I favor Shemp), Joe was more involved with these last shorts than Shemp really, what with all the re-used Shemp footage and the "fake Shemp". I think the choice is very fair.

Offline RICO987

I can't wait to hear this classic and ultra witty dialogue: "You big youuu!"

And we can't forget this unforgetable classic line: "Stoppp it!"

I've already started having sweet dreams about the intros  -  "Helloo, Hellooo, Helloooo.....  Hello"

Life doesn't get any better than this, my friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget, "Not so haaaarrrd!" 

Offline RICO987

Great cover, love the colour they've gone with this time.

Like some others, I'm not the too keen on the main picture - kinda accentuates Larry's age and doesn't do a lot for Joe. Is it me or were the publicity shots (what few there were) for the final Shorts fairly amateurish compared to earlier ones? Just another example of the "no one really cares anymore" vibe that comes through in some of the films, I guess...

I'd probably have chosen either of these for the cover:

Of those two I would select the bottom pic.  In the top picture, Moe looks like Joe Besser's brother more than he looks like a Howard brother.

Offline metaldams

Here's my proposed cover.  Pay attention Sony.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Allen

"Put Joe Besser in a Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit and tell him to act man-child - wonderful things will begin to happen!  Children smile, flowers bloom, cripples walk, midgets grow, noses grow back on lepers - it's great!"

Wow! Do politicians become honest?!

Offline metaldams

"Put Joe Besser in a Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit and tell him to act man-child - wonderful things will begin to happen!  Children smile, flowers bloom, cripples walk, midgets grow, noses grow back on lepers - it's great!"

If my signature is true, and every word of it is, so help me God, YES, politicians become honest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline dimelives

NOTHING can make that happen =P lol