Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

C3 and Sony lawsuit

Guest · 13 · 2092

Cartoonguy

C3 ENTERTAINMENT, INC. v. COLUMBIA PICTURES TELEVISION, INC.

Has everyone here at the forum seen this? It is rather lengthy but still worth reading.

http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/page.htm?shortname=incaco20100308008

Offline Rich Finegan

Okay, I finally got through all of it.
What was the Three Stooges "Playhouse" show that was referred to?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What was the Three Stooges "Playhouse" show that was referred to?

The 130-short syndication package, with gag commercials ("Curly chia pet") and animated fade-in/fade-out segues that intruded on the open credits.

Offline FineBari3

I love the way this legal document is worded, as it follows a strict format and legalese, including a researched background. It brought a smile to my face to read:

We are fortunate to be able to begin with an authoritative legal description of The Three Stooges, from the highest Court of our state: "Moe and Jerome (Curly) Howard and Larry Fein fashioned personae collectively known as The Three Stooges...."

I am currently reading the rest of the document.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

I love the way this legal document is worded, as it follows a strict format and legalese, including a researched background. It brought a smile to my face to read:

We are fortunate to be able to begin with an authoritative legal description of The Three Stooges, from the highest Court of our state: "Moe and Jerome (Curly) Howard and Larry FEIN fashioned personae collectively known as The Three Stooges...."

I am currently reading the rest of the document.

Larry "Fein"  Please tell me it doesn't say that. 

I hope to read through this some time, what time that'll be I don't know.  Maybe this weekend after I partake in a Bowery Boys film. 

Good to know the Glendale gang's keeping busy these days. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Larry "Fein"  Please tell me it doesn't say that. 

I hope to read through this some time, what time that'll be I don't know.  Maybe this weekend after I partake in a Bowery Boys film. 

Good to know the Glendale gang's keeping busy these days. 

Eh, I just cut and pasted it, so I guess it does!

LOL....Glendale gang!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Rich Finegan

The 130-short syndication package, with gag commercials ("Curly chia pet") and animated fade-in/fade-out segues that intruded on the open credits.
Okay, but I thought that was the regular Three Stooges shorts show, as was run on AMC.
They made it sound as if the "Playhouse" was some separate show that was never run.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Okay, but I thought that was the regular Three Stooges shorts show, as was run on AMC.
They made it sound as if the "Playhouse" was some separate show that was never run.

AMC did not run "Playhouse." *

1999's "Playhouse" was a 130-short package, specially edited for gag commercial breaks and animated-effect segues.  Each short was edited into a half-hour show (i.e., 22 minutes).  It was syndicated to local stations.  It was unsuccessful; after a few months, some stations dropped it and others were throwing it into the early AM hours in-between infomericals.

In 2000, AMC leased the shorts, not the "Playhouse," but were unfortunately restricted to the same 130 titles.  SpikeTV took the same package a few years later.  AMC (and Spike) produced their own interstitial material, i.e., AMC's "Nyuk University" with Leslie Nielsen, Anna Nicole Smith, Carrot Top and Dan Lauria.

* Except for July 2000, when AMC began running the "Playhouse" package, pressured on them by Sony and C3.  That situation lasted less than 1 week, after AMC was inundated by viewer complaints (AMC's website crashed due to the volume of complaints), and the cable network went back to the unedited/commercial-less shorts.

chad2411

IMO, the boys got screwed out of millions then and now.  It will never end as long as there is money involved.

Cartoonguy

Wasn’t the Playhouse show produced by Bela Lugosi JR.?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Wasn’t the Playhouse show produced by Bela Lugosi JR.?

The senior mgmt of C3 received co-producer credits on the series.

At that time, Lugosi was employed by the Benjamins as C3's legal counsel. The three co-producer credits were Benjamin, Benjamin and Lugosi.  (Lugosi has not worked for C3 since late 1999.)

Cartoonguy

Thanks for the answer about Bela JR. I just remember seeing his name at the end credits, I really could not stand the Playhouse Show, and it was pretty embarrassing to watch.

Offline metaldams

First off, thank you Cartoonguy for posting this link.

I tried reading the bloody thing, I had no problems understanding it, but had plenty of problems remaining interested.  I guess law is not an interest of mine.  While I recognize art and commerce aren't as inseperable as I'd like them to be, I prefer to simply laugh at The Three Stooges and if given the chance, discuss their art intelligently.  

To those of you into this kind of thing, more power to you.  As for me, I need to wash this down with some Keaton.
- Doug Sarnecky