Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Anyone ever see Bill Cosby?

Offline falsealarms

Has anyone ever been to one of Bill Cosby's comedy shows? If so, how was it? I'm going to one in the near future -- pretty excited to see someone as renowned as him perform.

Offline Benno1979

I have seen Cosby twice, and each time it was fantastic!  Maybe not quite as good as one of his old comedy records, but it was very enjoyable.  I don't want to tell you what he did in the act just because I don't want to spoil anything for you, but both nights were some of the best comedy nights of my life.  Each show at the end ended with a classic Cosby comedy bit, I won't say which one because I don't want to spoil anything for you but you may be able to guess which one it is! 

Well worth seeing, and he's going to be close to us again in May and I am seriously considering going to the show again.  Great, CLEAN, family fun!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Has anyone ever been to one of Bill Cosby's comedy shows? If so, how was it? I'm going to one in the near future -- pretty excited to see someone as renowned as him perform.

I've never seen him in person, but I've seen video of some of his live performances so I'm sure it will be great.  Where are you seeing him perform?

Offline metaldams

I have this memory of being a child and watching a Bill Cosby stand up routine in my grandparent's living room.  Cosby was pretending he was throwing up near a toilet and talking to the toilet like it was his best friend.  I thought it was the funniest thing at the time, even though I was too young to know what a hangover is.

Being a child in the 80's, I couldn't help being aware of The Cosby Show.  I wish my parents knew that many jazz musicians who could jam in my basement!

Cosby seems like a good guy, and it's sad what happened to his son.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm seeing him on Saturday. Here are his tour dates -

http://www.billcosby.com/site/concerts.html

I agree - who doesn't like the Cosby Show? I'm too young to remember it while it was on, but good thing for TV Land etc.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Metaldams ...
If you want to re-live your childhood Cosby recollections, watch Bill Cosby, Himself and you'll see the toilet hugging skit.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

Metaldams ...
If you want to re-live your childhood Cosby recollections, watch Bill Cosby, Himself and you'll see the toilet hugging skit.

Thanks, I appreciate that!  You know, I'll have to check out youtube tonight as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

Metaldams ...

My friends and I discovered that when it was on HBO in the mid-1980s, when we were all about 13. I can quote verbatim. The 'chocolate cake for breakfast' part is my favorite.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline falsealarms

Where do you think Cosby ranks all time among comedians or at least among contemporaries like Pryor and Carlin?

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
I liked the Bill Cosby Show that was on in 1970 I believe. He was Chet Kincaid a gym teacher.  My favorite episode was when he switched jobs at school and became the Drivers Ed teacher. that was hilarious.  The car in the episode was a 69 Ford Fairlane or Torino, which was my first car. I didn't know what the car was when I saw the show back in the 70's.

I have a lot of old Cosby albums that I have had since the 70's and are from the 60's that have a lot of his funny bits on them, check them out if you can, also the shows first season is on DVD. (I know, I bought it!) and season two is supposed to be out sometime this spring I believe.

Also, anyone remember  his show "Cos" that came out in September 1976, it was a kids show that was aimed at adults in a way as well. One bit I remember well from that show was a part where kids would say things to him and he would respond back.  One kid said he only had a few teeth and Cosby yelled "Good!".  My friend and I cracked up when we heard him say that.  Never see any of those on YouTube, I'd like to visit that show again.

Robin

chad2411

Where do you think Cosby ranks all time among comedians or at least among contemporaries like Pryor and Carlin?

He had his own TV show.  Top 50 for sure.  IMO

Offline falsealarms

The show was tonight and it was a full house -- all 2700 seats in this 84 year old former Vaudeville house were sold. My seat was pretty good -- a little off to the right, but only 15 rows from the stage.

There was no introduction. Cosby simply appeared from right side of the stage shortly after 7 PM. Applause ensued. Cosby sat in a wheeled, armless beige desk chair for the entire performance and was stationed besides a table that had a empty glass, a green bottle of something, and a box of tissues. He was wearing a dark colored sweatshirt that said "Hello Friend" in big bright yellow letters. Eight lights beamed down on him while the rest of the place was in the dark.

He was on stage for about an hour and forty minutes and his act generally flew by. It didn't seem like that long. He said when he was a young man that he asked some girl to grow old with him, but if he knew this is how he looked when he grew old, then he would have sparred the girl the agony. The best part of his act was his closing skit. He ended the night with his classic Dentist skit and when I think back to the performance years down the line, it's what I'll remember. Here is he doing it back in 1983:
. Nothing beats seeing it in person.

Cosby was given a short standing O at the end of his act. People were raving about the performance on the way out. The crowd was generally older than I am and in some cases much older. I hardly saw anyone who looked to be in their twenties or younger. Most of the crowd was middle aged on up, so some the material probably fit them better than it fitted me. Cosby does turn 73 this year.

In the end, I'm glad I went and it was worth the 60 bucks (the cheapest seats in the balcony ran 25). Even though I wasn't probably the target audience, to say you saw Bill Cosby perform is something you can cherish forever. Chances like that don't come around often and at Cosby's age you don't know how many more tours he embarks on. I'd recommend his shows to anyone.