Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best stooge episode title

Offline stooge1029

Violent is the word for curly. Just my opinion.

Offline metaldams

Ah, the what's your favorite short question.  There was a time I would've shut this one down because it's such a common question, but I've come to the realization that we haven't had this thread in a while and there are several posters who haven't discussed this, soooooo....

The final answer is A PLUMBING WE WILL GO.  If you guys say anything else, you're wrong.  Best Curly performance, the most perfect editing in a Stooge short ever, and what I like to call a "circle completing ending"  make A PLUMBING WE WILL GO most satisfying.

I quadruple dog dare anyone to start a thread asking who your favorite Stooge is.   ;D
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Actually, it's a favorite episode title thread, which is a bit of a variation.  I don't think we ever did a "favorite title" before, although I could be wrong.

It isn't part of the Columbia 190, but I've always been fond of Six Lessons from Madame La Zonga, a Shemp solo (which I've never seen.)   ;D

Offline metaldams

It isn't part of the Columbia 190, but I've always been fond of Six Lessons from Madame La Zonga, a Shemp solo (which I've never seen.)   ;D

You're crazy.  HELLO POP runs circles over "La Zonga"  So do those shorts Moe made for Vitagraph in 1910.
- Doug Sarnecky

chad2411

Booby dupes!  Just because I'm a delinquent at heart.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If I were a pothead I might go with Higher Than a Kite as my favorite title. ;D

In the Sweet Pie & Pie is another favorite title off the top of my head...

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

You know, I must be slow on the uptake today.  REAL slow.  It's amazing to think my mind works better at home than at work.  After all, they're "paying" me at work.  If it's TITLE, and not actual short, well........

Gotta agree with IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE   [pie]

Actually one of the better shorts as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

jka12002

"SOME MORE OF SAMOA"

I like this title because the short dosent even take place in Samoa, just a generic stereotypical island called "Rhum Boogie"  :laugh:

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
You're crazy.  HELLO POP runs circles over "La Zonga"  So do those shorts Moe made for Vitagraph in 1910.

Like I said, I've never seen La Zonga; I've just always like the name of the film.  I blame Moe for the suggestive way he says, "I'll take La Zonga, in six lessons!" in You Nazty Spy!   ;)

ALL THE WORLD'S A STOOGE

That's another favorite of mine.  I actually had the domain name of alltheworldsastooge.com about 10 years ago.  I used it to offer ThreeStooges.net in different languages through Babelfish, but I ended up taking it down and letting the domain registration expire because I got so many comments about how hysterically funny the translations were.  If online translations have gotten better, maybe I'll look into trying something like that again when I've finished re-writing the site, etc.

Offline metaldams

Like I said, I've never seen La Zonga; I've just always like the name of the film.  I blame Moe for the suggestive way he says, "I'll take La Zonga, in six lessons!" in You Nazty Spy!   ;)

I was just razzing ya BEFORE I realized this was favorite title and not short.  Like I said, slow day for my brain today.

I've never seen HELLP POP or the 1910 Moe Howard's (with John Bunny, perhaps).  If anybody has, please give us a full review.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

"SOME MORE OF SAMOA"

I like this title because the short dosent even take place in Samoa, just a generic stereotypical island called "Rhum Boogie"  :laugh:
I've always thought that one should have been called TREE STOOGES.

jka12002

Offline Rich Finegan

Actually, it's a favorite episode title thread, which is a bit of a variation.  I don't think we ever did a "favorite title" before, although I could be wrong.

That 1941 movie title is actually the name of a 1940 hit song. Universal was producing a whole series of musical comedies at that time with titles of popular songs. Usually the story had nothing to do with the song or the song title. If it was catchy they'd use it, and then somehow try to work the song into the proceedings.

I have heard it suggested that the reference to "Madame LaZonga with six lessons" in I"LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN was a little sort of "private joke" nod to brother Shemp's solo movie, but I don't believe that was the case. The song was a big hit (I have a great version by Jimmy Dorsey's Band on a Decca 78 from 1940) and I believe The Stooges' reference was to the song rather than the Universal movie, which just happened to feature brother Shemp.

Offline Rich Finegan

Violent is the word for curly. Just my opinion.
What makes it your favorite? Just the statement it makes? Or fact that the title is a clever parody of a popular 1938 Paramount movie?

Offline Rich Finegan

I've never seen HELLP POP.  If anybody has, please give us a full review.

I wrote a detailed review of HELLO POP! in "Three Stooges Journal" No. 64 (1992). Still after all these years I've never seen anything else on that lost film that came anywhere near that article (if I may say so myself!)
I tried to make it the definitive coverage in case we never get to see the film, which unfortunately 18 years later still doesn't look likely.
(Has it really been 18 years?! Perhaps it's time to update and reprint that article. How many here never saw it?)

Offline Rich Finegan

Best Stooges title?
How about the all-purpose Columbia short title that was never used (and I'm surprised they apparently never thought of it!) -
PARDON MY SAPPY JITTERS.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
... the reference to "Madame LaZonga with six lessons" in I"LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN ...

Thanks for the correction, Rich; I always manage to mix up scenes from You Nazty Spy! and I'll Never Heil Again, especially if I haven't watched either of them in a while.  Even as I posted my response to Doug last night I had a gut feeling I was referencing the wrong one again.   :-\

Offline FineBari3

I always liked PARDON MY BACKFIRE.

I also enjoy when the titles are parodies of a popular film or song of the day, like I'LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

I wrote a detailed review of HELLO POP! in "Three Stooges Journal" No. 64 (1992). Still after all these years I've never seen anything else on that lost film that came anywhere near that article (if I may say so myself!)
I tried to make it the definitive coverage in case we never get to see the film, which unfortunately 18 years later still doesn't look likely.
(Has it really been 18 years?! Perhaps it's time to update and reprint that article. How many here never saw it?)

You gotta bear in mind that in 1992, I was only 13 years old, and some of the other posters here are younger than me.  I would love to read your HELLO POP article.  I know they're restarting the supporting player list again, perhaps old articles too?  Not my decision, obviously, but it'd be cool for those of us who missed it the first time around.

I'm kind of rushed to look up the issues right now (later when I have time), but me and Bobby Winslow a few years back wrote that article comparing Stooge gags to similar Harold Lloyd gags.  I just renewed my subscription and am really hoping to write another article or two in the next few years.  I've been in a rut and it's time to get those creative juices flowing again.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK, just looked it up, it's issues 110 - 111, Summer and Fall 2004.  GAG CRAZY: THE COMMON ROUTINES OF THE THREE STOOGES AND HAROLD LLOYD.  A two part epic.  ;D

Rich, I see the issue you did your HELLO POP article is not available any longer.  The only one for 1992 out of print.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

OK, just looked it up, it's issues 110 - 111, Summer and Fall 2004.  GAG CRAZY: THE COMMON ROUTINES OF THE THREE STOOGES AND HAROLD LLOYD.  A two part epic.  ;D

Rich, I see the issue you did your HELLO POP article is not available any longer.  The only one for 1992 out of print.
Okay, with Gary's approval, it looks like it's time for an updated version of the HELLO POP! article. I do have some new info since the original article.

Incidentally, in the following Journal I similarly covered the lost Moe & Curly short JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE (1934). That one could use an update, too.

And by the way, good to know you're a Harold Lloyd fan!

Offline metaldams

And by the way, good to know you're a Harold Lloyd fan!

Lloyd, Chaplin, Keaton, Langdon, Laurel and Hardy, Bud and Lou, Marx Bros., Fields, and plenty more.  The Three Stooges is where it all started for me.  They were my gateway into classic comedy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Sr. Peedro Alvarez

One title that always cracked me up was "Sock-A-Bye-Baby" Another favorite is "What's The Matador?"
Glad To Meet Me.

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Goof On The Roof was a good title. Triple Crossed With Besser is another good one.